SHOCK U TURN!

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

For me, we have to move to Failsworth. We've seen the plans for BP and it is a piecemeal long drawn out compromise that satisfies no one other than those who are dead set against a move. We need that magical 365 day a year income to offset the losses the club incurs due to not getting enough bums on seats as it is, I don't believe that BP can give us this as the site isn't big enough. Plus the proximity of the hospital, houses & clayton severely limit what we could do as do the lack of access points.

Off the top of my head I can't think of a club that has redeveloped their traditional ground andLe has then gone on to achieve lasting success apart from United but they are a special case and in no way are we comparable. For many the 12,000 seater stadium showed a lack of "ambition", for me staying at BP is waving the white flag and saying we've given up. This would condemn us to being a club trapped into matchday income with a little bit of extra from the odd bit of conferencing or weddings which is nowhere near enough income.

We've all got an attachment to the site at the bottom of sheepfoot lane but this is a millstone round our neck, flog it, get what we can for it and onwards into a new future, this isn't the 1950s where we need to make do and mend, we have the opportunity to move into the latter end of the 20th century like so many other clubs did, Stoke, Bolton, Boro, Sunderland..etc..etc.. I'm sure we'd happily swap our last 15 years for any of those clubs, we'd swap the next 15 years too as their future looks so much brighter than ours does. As do Southampton, Cardiff, Swansea, Brighton, Leicester....

Football is all about money, getting it and spending it, if the club is taking in more than it is spending then they are doing ok, somehow most clubs struggle to get this bit right, I do not see how staying at BP helps us get more money in, people are not going to come back just because "it has an oldham postcode" or has a few new stands. If we don't raise the attendance we are doomed to failure without additional off field income, BP does not give us this off field income.

I totally supported the move to Failsworth, but because it was the only viable option at the time. The benefits were the swanky-ish new stadium, tram stop and we have the mney from the sale to be self sustaining but the major flaw was the proximity to City and possible loss of crowds ofsetting any new fans and no stats to back that up.

Now we seemingly have two options, the devil is in the details Is the same finaince avaialable, are they both self sustaining?

More questions than answers at the moment.

But if all things are equal, then the preference has to be to redevelop BP.

I also want to add that I see the Boundary Park site as a better site from a commercial prospective... Right off the motorway... Where as getting to the Failsworth site would be a bit of nightmare...

I don't get why people think Failsworth is a better location for a commercial development ? Fighting up and down Oldham Road / Broadway is a nightmare! and the justification of a tram stop near by (is there ? ) is weak considering most people come for conference facilities will be doing so by car...

Yes Boundary Park is not far from A627 and Junction 20 on the M62.

However, the Failsworth site is all of a 2 minute drive from junction 22 on the M60, has several major (and frequent) bus routes that connect Manchester to Oldham Town Centre, Rochdale, Saddleworth, amd even Huddersfield, not to mention the new tram link, and is just off the main road that connects Manchester to Oldham.

However, the Failsworth site is all of a 2 minute drive from junction 22 on the M60, has several major (and frequent) bus routes that connect Manchester to Oldham Town Centre, Rochdale, Saddleworth, amd even Huddersfield, not to mention the new tram link, and is just off the main road that connects Manchester to Oldham.

To be fair I total neglected the fact you can get off at junction 22...

and dont forget that there wasnt going to be a tram link at the failsworth site,we could have one but it was going to cost upward of 450k,nearest train link would have been dean lane,failsworth pole and moston,all of which are about same distance from werneth station to bp...

plus now fc united are building there new ground just off lightbowne road....so 2 football grounds in close proximity may be too much for some

One thing the club cannot afford to do in light of this new news, and I am sure many fans will agree onm this regardless of their viewpoints on failsworth or BP, is dither.

They need to be decisive one way or the other, come out sooner rather than later and say 'Failsworth move is back on' or 'even in light of the new news, we are staying put'.

So it is all the charitable folks fault. Next time someone from Oxfam comes to my door asking for money they're getting dirty looks.

Part timer. I'm going out in the rain every half hour and slapping charity mugggers up and down Victoria Street.

Although I often do this when I need a screen break anyway.

One thing the club cannot afford to do in light of this new news, and I am sure many fans will agree onm this regardless of their viewpoints on failsworth or BP, is dither.

They need to be decisive one way or the other, come out sooner rather than later and say 'Failsworth move is back on' or 'even in light of the new news, we are staying put'.

They might feel that they can't afford to jump into the wrong decision without looking carefully at the numbers in the light of all that's gone on.

and dont forget that there wasnt going to be a tram link at the failsworth site,we could have one but it was going to cost upward of 450k,nearest train link would have been dean lane,failsworth pole and moston,all of which are about same distance from werneth station to bp...

plus now fc united are building there new ground just off lightbowne road....so 2 football grounds in close proximity may be too much for some

Moston isn't getting a tram link. The nearest stations would have been Failsworth and Dean Lane (which is being renamed Newton Heath and Moston, although it is in Newton Heath). The site would have been slap bang in the middle of both of these.

As for FCUM, from what I know of their redevelopment, they are planning a park and ride scheme using the parking facilities at Central Park tram stop (i believe the stop before Dean Lane), although they have stated in their proposal that they do not expect to need to expand the capacity of their stadium for a long long time. And given where their stadium is, it would be extremely difficult to expand it.

Bloody Hell Carl, that's a bit wide of the mark. :)

I travel that route regularly (Sometimes several times a day) at all times, and it is always at least 8-9 minutes during the daytime, and often close to 20 minutes.

Moston isn't getting a tram link. The nearest stations would have been Failsworth and Dean Lane (which is being renamed Newton Heath and Moston, although it is in Newton Heath). The site would have been slap bang in the middle of both of these.

As for FCUM, from what I know of their redevelopment, they are planning a park and ride scheme using the parking facilities at Central Park tram stop (i believe the stop before Dean Lane), although they have stated in their proposal that they do not expect to need to expand the capacity of their stadium for a long long time. And given where their stadium is, it would be extremely difficult to expand it.

Failsworth stop isn't far away as long as their is a direct (as the crow flies) pedestrian path through to Lower Memorial Park. Not too disimilar to walking from BP to Elk Mill.

???

Lower Memorial Park to Failsworth Railway Station same as BP to Elk Mill as crow flies.

Like has been said it's time to move on....

I am sure SC had given up on the idea of a new stadium at Failsworth, and has been busy negotiating with investors to redevelop BP for a while. Therefore I am sure the Failsworth stadium is now a dead duck, as the negotiations to redevelop BP are at an advanced stage which SC has stated.

Bloody Hell Carl, that's a bit wide of the mark. :)

I travel that route regularly (Sometimes several times a day) at all times, and it is always at least 8-9 minutes during the daytime, and often close to 20 minutes.

Ok maybe thats driving at the 'putting one's foot down bollocks to pedestrians and red lights' speed, but it still aint that far, one and a half a mile tops?

Ok maybe thats driving at the 'putting one's foot down bollocks to pedestrians and red lights' speed, but it still aint that far, one and a half a mile tops?

to which junction??? broadway or hollinwood???

its taken me 35 mins to get from one end of broadway to the sportsmans plenty of times....the hold up being the amount of people getting on and off at broadway junction...

as the crow flies maybe....but you gonna build bridges over broadway and the canal to make it that way????

I would think that they would have to put in some crossing of Broadway within any planning permission anyway so I don't think that would be a massive issue. Neither would the canal, being that you wouldn't have to cross it.

to which junction??? broadway or hollinwood???

its taken me 35 mins to get from one end of broadway to the sportsmans plenty of times....the hold up being the amount of people getting on and off at broadway junction...

To get from junction 22 on the M60 (where Roxy used to be) to Failsworth Morrisons.

The article says Oldham Athletic could have built a new stadium at their preferred site.

There is nothing which says a new stadium will now be built at Failsworth instead of redeveloping BP.

I cannot see Simon Corney changing his mind after the big announcement the other day, so lets get on with building the new North stand asp and forget Failsworth forever.

The article says Oldham Athletic could have built a new stadium at their preferred site.

There is nothing which says a new stadium will now be built at Failsworth instead of redeveloping BP.

I cannot see Simon Corney changing his mind after the big announcement the other day, so lets get on with building the new North stand asp and forget Failsworth forever.

It does say could, but that was Mike Keegans view as reporter, not neccesarily (though very probably) the OMBC/OAFC one.

Charity Commision :ranting:

What a farce of an organisation! Not sure if they're a government organisation but Mr.Cameron if you want to save some more money?..

Failsworth would have been a much better option for OAFC, such a shame this decision has come too late. Thank you Charity Commission and I hope the snow doesn't prevent you from commuting to work this winter!