how long before we ask difficult questions?

Am i right in thinking it's now 3 wins in 23? I can't find the stats. I'm sure I've missed something.

If I'm right, and given the current failure to actually put a squad together, how many other clubs would tolerate the situation. I like Dickov, but, well, how long before we start asking questions? I was quite underwhelmed by Saturday. The more I think about it the more I'm getting concerned.

Just asking...Legitimate question.

Three weeks to the deadline - better get that fabled book of contacts out Paul.

Queue the clappies...... :argue:

Happy clapper in me says we lost to a team which still has a championship squad so not the end of the world

Doom and gloomer in me says that the squad beyond the starting 11 (thats taking nandos boy out for Parker) is wafer thin and :censored:e

Too early....

if we're not winning games come september/october - perhaps questions need to be asked - we've got a threadbare squad which dickov is doing his best to add (if he added players for the sake of it people would moan they were sh1t) so wait till the window shuts and our squad is more final.

Yes, we got beat on saturday - but it was against a fairly solid promotion contender. Not the end of the world is it?

I'm usually the positive type.

But if things aren't looking up by the end of September (transfer window closed, new players had a few games to get in to it) we'll know relegation is a strong possibility.

While I still think we should stick with Dickov for 3-5 years, the first serious challenging questions to his job will be asked in October.

Some will start next week, others will give him till Christmas, me personally I will give him 3 years to build a nice team which can challenge at the top of this league. Dickov and Taggart are managerial inexperienced and the team is full of players lacking proper match experience - it'll take time to gel. People nowadays have no patience, in football and in life. I think Dickov has had the boo boys off his back due to his great start last season and no doubt a few more defeats and they'll pop up again. I can see that his current form as a manager is poor but it should be put into perspective before jumping on his back.

Lets be honest he's the best man that our current budget can afford and at least he's a sound guy who the fans can relate too.

Am i right in thinking it's now 3 wins in 23? I can't find the stats. I'm sure I've missed something.

If I'm right, and given the current failure to actually put a squad together, how many other clubs would tolerate the situation. I like Dickov, but, well, how long before we start asking questions? I was quite underwhelmed by Saturday. The more I think about it the more I'm getting concerned.

Would you deem this a fair answer?

Wait until the end of September. By then we will have played a good mix of teams including (whilst not everyone will agree with the categories I have placed the teams in, you get the idea)

Probable Promotion Chasers: Sheffield United, Huddersfield,

Outsiders: Scunthorpe, Leyton Orient, Brentford

Top Half/Mid Table Teams: Carlisle, Colchester

Fellow Strugglers/Relegation Fodder: Rochdale, Stevenage, Yeovil, Walsall

But we need to put things into context. To be fair to Dickov, the poor sod is on a hiding to nothing. As Prozac reminded me on facebook, we have lost 15 players from last season, and brought in 5. His budget has been cut, and because of the new financial fair play rules next season it is likely to be cut again, and cut significantly.

Whilst Dickov has made mistakes, granted, Jose Mouriniho would struggle to achieve anything with this squad.

I love the suffix to your post, which ridicules anyone who might disagree with you, before they even have the chance.

Dickov's got a lot to prove, for me. That's not to say I doubt him particularly but last season was his first in management; the first half was impressive and the second dreadful, so I think he came out of it pretty much on par. What is certain is that this club needs some stability if it is ever to make any progress.

Dickov (along with Taggart) has got the right attitude and has shown he can spot a decent player, as well as convincing them to sign where they might have 'better' offers on the table. He's struggling with a small budget to fill the gaps and I get the impression he's holding out some hope of signing certain players before the transfer window closes. If it works, it'll probably be worth it. If not, perhaps it's naivity of a young manager who will have to put it down to experience.

It's a new season; we're one of the bookies' favourites for relegation; and we're skint. Let's not saddle Dickov with completely unrealistic expectations. Anything else really is a bonus.

We've got no money, what on earth do you expect? Dickov doing as good a job as can be expected in tough conditions.

Next, please.

Spot on!!!!! Anyway who the hell would you replace him with...............He's the best man for the job end of!

We've got no money, what on earth do you expect? Dickov doing as good a job as can be expected in tough conditions.

Next, please.

Rubbish, Dickov has said himself there was budget to sign two strikers even with Feeney still here.

Sick of hearing this 'has to have the right attitude' thing, this is League 1, no player has got it all.

If a player has ability then that should be enough, a good manager will do just that, manage the players attitude.

Said before Saturday, no strength in depth, little experience and no threat.

I like Dickov but he needs to get some faces in.

Rubbish, Dickov has said himself there was budget to sign two strikers even with Feeney still here.

Sick of hearing this 'has to have the right attitude' thing, this is League 1, no player has got it all.

If a player has ability then that should be enough, a good manager will do just that, manage the players attitude.

Said before Saturday, no strength in depth, little experience and no threat.

I like Dickov but he needs to get some faces in.

Agree and Joe it's 3 wins in 23 yes, or if you go back to February 2 wins in 20, 13 scoreless games and 9 goals in 20…..

We are completely void of any quality. The way we surrendered following going a goal down was identical to last season..... We haven't the commitment or the players to compete. Unless we bring in some quality, anywhere - i'd settle for a good centre half, a decent creative midfielder, or a striker capable of scoring ten this season. Questions will not be asked as our expections have fallen so low that dross like Saturday's shower of sh1t is now acceptable.

Some will start next week, others will give him till Christmas, me personally I will give him 3 years to build a nice team which can challenge at the top of this league. Dickov and Taggart are managerial inexperienced and the team is full of players lacking proper match experience - it'll take time to gel. People nowadays have no patience, in football and in life. I think Dickov has had the boo boys off his back due to his great start last season and no doubt a few more defeats and they'll pop up again. I can see that his current form as a manager is poor but it should be put into perspective before jumping on his back.

Lets be honest he's the best man that our current budget can afford and at least he's a sound guy who the fans can relate too.

The problem these days is that it's not possible to build a team in three years. Most of the players only have 12 months left on their contracts. If they are any good, they will most likely be off at the end of the season, and PD then has to try and replace them. The only way to try and keep the better players is to try and extend their contracts, but so far there doesn't seem to be any attempt to do that, unless something is being done that we don't know about.

I love the suffix to your post, which ridicules anyone who might disagree with you, before they even have the chance.

Dickov's got a lot to prove, for me. That's not to say I doubt him particularly but last season was his first in management; the first half was impressive and the second dreadful, so I think he came out of it pretty much on par. What is certain is that this club needs some stability if it is ever to make any progress.

Dickov (along with Taggart) has got the right attitude and has shown he can spot a decent player, as well as convincing them to sign where they might have 'better' offers on the table. He's struggling with a small budget to fill the gaps and I get the impression he's holding out some hope of signing certain players before the transfer window closes. If it works, it'll probably be worth it. If not, perhaps it's naivity of a young manager who will have to put it down to experience.

It's a new season; we're one of the bookies' favourites for relegation; and we're skint. Let's not saddle Dickov with completely unrealistic expectations. Anything else really is a bonus.

/\ This.

under the circumstances; P Diddy is doing a very creditable job.

If we were to stupidly get rid of him; who the heck would we be bring in as a replacement; and do you think they would be able to do a better job with the resources we have at our disposal? I think not.

PD has shown himself to be a thoroughly decent bloke; who has handled himself very well indeed since he's been with us - and if that affords him a little bit more grace than others (Dave Penney & his 'couldn't give a monkeys anyone?) then so be it I say.

Yes we were on a bad run at the end of the season but we have had a fairly successful preseason. Dare i say rediscovered a winning mentality. Thats not to say we'll win every game, no team ever does, but if Sheff United end up champions come May then it wont be seen as such a disasterous defeat will it? Especially if we're right behind them......

Have a little patience. Its one game for gods sake. If its no wins from 3 this time next week then maybe have a little gripe but monday morning? Come on, really?

its not suprising he hasnt got his full squad together yet, after all he is persuading players to either take a cut in wages or getting them to turn better offers down, thats what he means by 'the right sort of player' isnt it?

We are completely void of any quality. The way we surrendered following going a goal down was identical to last season..... We haven't the commitment or the players to compete. Unless we bring in some quality, anywhere - i'd settle for a good centre half, a decent creative midfielder, or a striker capable of scoring ten this season. Questions will not be asked as our expections have fallen so low that dross like Saturday's shower of sh1t is now acceptable.

What an odd thing to say.

I'd agree that the squad needs more quality adding, but to say we have none strikes me as slightly ridiculous. Lee, Furman and Taylor all showed their quality last season, as did JYM after a shaky start.

On a slightly different but nonetheless related note, it makes me laugh that people are STILL talking about adding 'quality' like Cody McDonald to the squad (not you specifically Slurms). There was some loonball on GMR after the game (who hadn't actually been to the match) saying we need to sign somebody like Cody Mc or we'd be going down. Exactly who is going to fund the £550k that Norwich want for him, or the alleged six figure sum we'd need to secure him on loan for the season?

We are BROKE. It's very simple! Yes we need more players and players who are better than the current crop, thus adding this magic 'quality' we need, but it certainly wont be easy.