New full back needed

I know we need plenty of new players but one position that needs sorting and I said it last season i rigt back

Kieron Lee is a very good player but IMO he is not the answer at right back.

many times last season and the first 2 games this season he has been caught out of position, Quinn found too much space numerous times and Carlisle noticed so thay put Welsh on just after half time to exploit us

Lee looks good going forward but doesnt get enough crosses in the box- maybe use him as another midfield option

I think we need a out and out right back someone who has always played there and brought up in that position- not a utility player, Lee is still learming the position and it can be costly at times

Sheff Utd knew it, Carlisle realised and it wont be long before everyone else does

Edited by palmer1

Brave comments!

Lee does have his weaknesses (often overlooked by posters on here).

Personally I think he's a fine League One full back - but he's certainly not perfect and opponents can find space in behind him.

Looking forward to seeing how this thread develops :grin: .

(Interesting that when things aren't going smoothly, Latics fans start highlighting the weaknesses of their better players - Lee, Furman, Taylor have all faced a few arrows recently!)

Edited by opinions4u

Wouldn't even consider signing a replacement full back for Lee, more than adequate for league one football.

We need at least another 2 strikers, if we carry on with who we have up front at the minute, i can see nothing other than a bottom 4 finish.

You can't rely on a 21 year old signed for non-league football to keep you up. He looks very promising but it would be very unfair to level all our hopes on him getting 20 odd in his first season.

Edited by Kingdingaling

I actually thought this thread was going to be about Paul Black - who in my opinion is the weakest link in our team. Kieran Lee for me is one of our better players and although he makes mistakes, I dont think its worth pointing him out. Some argue whether he'd be better in midfield but I enjoy watching him at right back. I've only seen him against Carlisle this season and first half he was in front of where i sit and he had a fantastic half and to be honest him and Morais was a joy to watch throughout the match attacking.

Maybe this is the usual case of Latics fans expecting too much too soon of our youngsters once again.

Lee is probably our best footballer. By that I mean he could play in a number of different posistions and look competent. I dont think he'll ever stand out as an exceptional player in any position though. He is a decent league one full back, he (along with the rest of the team) was completely mullered against southampton last season who took both full backs to the cleaners. That wont happen that often as most teams don't have their class (thats why they went up). We have struggled to score goals and have a paper thin squad, IMO any money we can scrape together would be better used in other areas.

more of a christmas tree than a triangle :)

-----x-----

x--x---x--x

--x--x--x--

-x-------x-

-----x-----

I actually believe that this could work for us...would allow more of a holding role for one midfielder poss two if full backs have bombed on....players slightly closer to smith and basically just say to morais and taylor when we have the ball - do what the hell you want....when we lose it drop back in as quick as possible to make a 5 man midfield

Lets face it - second half of last season and the start of this isn't creating enough chances. I'm all for dickov, and i'm not saying we're in trouble - i just feel we're too predictable and a refreshing change could be in order. As we stand, we don't break quickly...we have too many sideways backwards passes to a point where other teams have chance to get their men behind the ball.

I actually thought this thread was going to be about Paul Black - who in my opinion is the weakest link in our team. Kieran Lee for me is one of our better players and although he makes mistakes, I dont think its worth pointing him out. Some argue whether he'd be better in midfield but I enjoy watching him at right back. I've only seen him against Carlisle this season and first half he was in front of where i sit and he had a fantastic half and to be honest him and Morais was a joy to watch throughout the match attacking.

Maybe this is the usual case of Latics fans expecting too much too soon of our youngsters once again.

I gave up expecting things from Latics players over 10 years ago

I think over time Lee can become an excellent right back but at the moment he isnt, he is a good utility player

we are weak in both full back positions and it needs addressing in the long term

I would priortise a striker and maybe other positions first but I belive a right back who has expereience playing right back and who's positional sense is better would be a asset at to the team.

[/b]

I gave up expecting things from Latics players over 10 years ago

I think over time Lee can become an excellent right back but at the moment he isnt, he is a good utility player

we are weak in both full back positions and it needs addressing in the long term

I would priortise a striker and maybe other positions first but I belive a right back who has expereience playing right back and who's positional sense is better would be a asset at to the team.

One we could afford?

One we could afford?

are there full backs out there who have played in this division, have plenty of expereince and good positional sense who are going for free that we can afford

I would have to say yes....yes there are

can I name one at the moment - No :grin:

must be one or 2 on the released pfa list?

I know we need plenty of new players but one position that needs sorting and I said it last season i rigt back

Kieron Lee is a very good player but IMO he is not the answer at right back.

many times last season and the first 2 games this season he has been caught out of position, Quinn found too much space numerous times and Carlisle noticed so thay put Welsh on just after half time to exploit us

Lee looks good going forward but doesnt get enough crosses in the box- maybe use him as another midfield option

I think we need a out and out right back someone who has always played there and brought up in that position- not a utility player, Lee is still learming the position and it can be costly at times

Sheff Utd knew it, Carlisle realised and it wont be long before everyone else does

Our left back is a hell of a lot weaker. I expected Black to be mentioned in this thread, not Kieran Lee! Defo agree he could do a job in midfield if needed.

So the guy is a long way towards becoming a really good full back but still can improve. As he has improved a mile since he joined up why the hell would we bring in someone to put him on the bench? As to playing him further up or in the middle, its an option, but he's no neil eardley in midfield

After all the hard work that has obviously gone into training Kieran Lee up to be a (very) decent L1); why would we then go out and spend funds on a replacement?

For me he adds a lot to the side at right back, and continues to get better and better in the role.

I'm also not convinced he'd make a positive difference in CM either - he flattered to deceive when played there fleeting under Shez.

For me, there's no need and no point in a.) Looking for a replacement right back or b.) Moving Lee into midfield.

Sorry but think the OP is talking out of his arse, if you are going to spend money replacing full backs it has to be Black not Lee!!

Why is it people always pick on the faults of our better players??

For me key areas to strengthen are CM - need someone to try and dictate the game, LB - replacement or competition for Black and a ST to add competition upfront.

After all the hard work that has obviously gone into training Kieran Lee up to be a (very) decent L1); why would we then go out and spend funds on a replacement?

For me he adds a lot to the side at right back, and continues to get better and better in the role.

I'm also not convinced he'd make a positive difference in CM either - he flattered to deceive when played there fleeting under Shez.

For me, there's no need and no point in a.) Looking for a replacement right back or b.) Moving Lee into midfield.

As much as i'd like to see him given a chance there (he did well there for QPR if I recall correctly), I fear we'd be losing a very good full back for a decent midfielder. Of course he has his faults, but then so does every single player at this level...

I don't have a problem with either of our fullbacks, they both are 3rd division full backs with the potential to be better.

What is it with latics fans and full backs? Tierney and Eardley were both written off and now both have played at a higher level than we're at, a much higher level.

Black had an iffy moment on Tuesday when he let the ball bounce but recovered and made the tackle. Both our fullbacks are horrendously exposed at times due to both Taylor's wanderings and Morais not always tracking back. I'm perfectly happy with our full backs, Winchester and Burns can fill in during injury/suspension and I'd rather wages be spent elsewhere on the team.