Rochdale Match Thread

I was extremely disappointed with Winchester on Saturday.

Looked like a lost school kid in the first half and then in the 2nd he had so much space he didn't know what to do with it most of the time.

Second half i lost count of the numbers of times he came into our half to collect the ball.

Had yards and yards of open space in front and then passed it back to the CH !!!!!!!

On a few occassions he drifted forward he made some good passes but overall considering the amount of space he had he was very dissappointing.

Stephens would have absolutely annihilated dale on saurday given that kind of space.

I know he is young with a lot to learn but still disappointed with him on saturday.

To be fair, he's not really a midfielder. Not yet, at least.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was extremely disappointed with Winchester on Saturday.

Looked like a lost school kid in the first half and then in the 2nd he had so much space he didn't know what to do with it most of the time.

Second half i lost count of the numbers of times he came into our half to collect the ball.

Had yards and yards of open space in front and then passed it back to the CH !!!!!!!

On a few occassions he drifted forward he made some good passes but overall considering the amount of space he had he was very dissappointing.

Stephens would have absolutely annihilated dale on saurday given that kind of space.

I know he is young with a lot to learn but still disappointed with him on saturday.

Stephens is 22 with 5 years of experience under his belt,

Winchester is 17 with 0 years under his belt , he's bound to look like a lost schoolboy at times , thats because he is

Edited by razza699

Stephens is 22 with 5 years of experience under his belt,

Winchester is 17 with 0 years under his belt , he's bound to look like a lost schoolboy at times , thats because he is

I know , i was just making the point as one or two on this thread seem to think he had a great game Saturday and he was the answer to replacing Stephens.

Far from it in my view !!!!!!

I think the lad is a talent, & he has a real chance to make it, but I wouldnt want him playing week in, week out for us as I think he'd likely show the effects of burn out and would be found out soon enough with game after game….

I think you're right, but luckily I doubt he'll be 1st choice centre-mid when Furman comes back. It might not be that creative but Furman and Wes could be a very solid midfield pairing for us.

Edited by the_mighty_bosh

With Smith, Reid, Parker, Morais and Taylor we have more variation up front than last year, which was all a bit samey and our Plan B was to stick a centre half up front

Sort of, but bar Parker they're all 'second strikers' when deployed ideally, and can Morais/Taylor be considered given we're struggling for alternatives out wide?

We need a pacy striker to play right up on the last defender as that would compliment all the options we currently have. Parker could well be the man but he's now on crutches. :(

I agree Razz; its a big ask & too much to expect Smith to lead our line and be a regular source of goals in his debut season in the pro game; coming in straight from Uni.

I actually like the tactic of using him off the bench; as PD did Vs Scunny & 'Dale. He gives the defenders something different to think about - and I'm sure seeing him come on with 20mins to go isn't a sight too many CB's will relish?

But, IMO we need another striker in still; one with more league experience to offset Smith inexperience.

Whilst he certainly needs coaxing in to a degree, he's 22 and has played games, and scored goals, at Stalybridge's level. Whilst I know you'll know that, the university thing seems to be giving off an impression that he's even rawer than he is - I'm expecting big things from him in future whilst also expecting decent performances here and now. With a bit more luck he could have already had 5 goals, and he's nowhere near settled yet.