#3: Paul Reid

The vote  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Will you send him to the sanctuary?

• Yes, what a donkey - send him down.
    • No, you got it wrong - he was ace.

For those who don't know, this is how it works:

This is Pine Villains Donkey Sanctuary! A PV mini-site that will never let you forget all those donkeys that took the piss and blagged us all into thinking that knew what they were doing. It will also remind you that whatever happens right now, we've had some right old :censored:e in the past.

Every now and again (we’re not going to say every week – we can’t work to a regular schedule, we’re all lazy, and don’t worry we’ve got a lot of material) we’ll release a new PV Donkey Trading Card on the OWTB forums with basic stats and what-knot like any other trading card, we'll add a vote to either send him to the sanctuary as a proper donkey or save him from donkeydom - plus and this is what really counts, we need your real-life tributes to these donkeys. Be it good or bad we’re looking for your comments (keep it clean) on these asses so we can add those pearls of wisdom to the card bio in our donkey hall of fame on The Donkey Sanctuary site! Only the best will do, mind.

In future we’ll only post them on here (OWTB), and the results will be posted on The Donkey Sanctuary http://wp.me/1NXi3 - Rodney Jack scraped into our hall of shame. Here's number three...

2cqgnis.png

Paul Robert Reid (born 19 January 1968 in Oldbury, Worcestershire) an English professional footballer who played as a midfielder in the Football League for Leicester City, Bradford City, Huddersfield Town, Oldham Athletic, Bury and Swansea City. He then played in the Welsh Premier League for Carmarthen Town and Afan Lido.

He was brought into Latics from Huddersfield by Colin for £100,000 on 27th March 1997 and officially left on 2nd July 1999 to Bury on a free. During his stint at Boundary Park he Reid notched up 108 appearances and scored 7 goals. (soccerbase)

again, we've had some far worse players. But I remember when he used to always play a stormer against us in a Bury shirt. My perception of a Donkey was someone who had rubbish Footballing ability like Joe Colbeck, Maheta Molango or Lord Kangana. But then again I had a similar argument with a fan about Chris Killen, yes he was useless but that was because always injured and earnt a lot of money in the process but when he got a chance he wasn't a bad player.

Edited by Tommy_Fent

I'd spare him on the basis that he was at the centre of the best-worked free kick I've seen Latics score from. IIRC, the ball was shifted to Reid as if to tee up another player; he then rolled it back away from the onrushing wall and then turned and smashed it in.*

Something like that, anyhow.

* - It was better than it sounds!

Edit: Having looked at the games he scored in, I'm not sure he did score that goal - must have set someone else up to score. My memory's crap. But he was definitely involved. And it was a good goal...

Edited by Stevie_J

I'd spare him on the basis that he was at the centre of the best-worked free kick I've seen Latics score from. IIRC, the ball was shifted to Reid as if to tee up another player; he then rolled it back away from the onrushing wall and then turned and smashed it in.*

Something like that, anyhow.

* - It was better than it sounds!

I don't know, that sounds pretty good!

Was it better than Taylor vs Millwall 3 seasons ago?

Didn't he reject a new contract offer from us and go on sign for Bury. I'm not to sure of the result i think it might of been 1-1 but i'm sure one of his first games for Bury was again us. He got dogs abuse for the whole game cries of "there's only one greedy Bastard" and "you fat bastard" only for him to pop up and score late on run over to the away end with his shirt above his head rubbing his belly and flicking the v's at us.

That one sprang to mind actually - great goal - but it was far cleverer than that one.

One that springs to mind was his first goal for us in a 2-2 v Birmingham, think Richardson laid it off and he smashed it in - April '97 (not long after he arrived) can't remember anything else. He had a decent first half to 97-98 but was anonymous after that, although he did bury the penalty at Maine Road in our 2-1 win there in March '99.

Not a donkey, more of a meh-haw…..than a hee-haw….

Edited by oafcprozac

One that springs to mind was his first goal for us in a 2-2 v Birmingham, think Richardson laid it off and he smashed it in - April '97 (not long after he arrived) can't remember anything else. He had a decent first half to 97-98 but was anonymous after that, although he did bury the penalty at Maine Road in our 2-1 win there in March '99.

Not a donkey, more of a meh-haw…..than a hee-haw….

Just had another flash-back, there was a very cleverly worked free-kick by Reid that was parried to the feet of Stuart Barlow by Gills 'Keeper Vince Bartram..Barlow tapping home. Won 3-1 in a Friday night game Nov '97

Paul Reid was a decent player along with Duxbury kept us up as a half decent midfield in a poor team with very few goals scored.He was a ok far far worse than him, in fact got a good deal as a make weight in Beresford deal not saying much but perhaps one of Warnocks better dals. Dozens of far worse players than Paul Reid have appeared before and after.

Just had another flash-back, there was a very cleverly worked free-kick by Reid that was parried to the feet of Stuart Barlow by Gills 'Keeper Vince Bartram..Barlow tapping home. Won 3-1 in a Friday night game Nov '97

That's the one! Went as I said but the 'keeper managed to get to it only to leave a tap in.

Didn't he reject a new contract offer from us and go on sign for Bury. I'm not to sure of the result i think it might of been 1-1 but i'm sure one of his first games for Bury was again us. He got dogs abuse for the whole game cries of "there's only one greedy Bastard" and "you fat bastard" only for him to pop up and score late on run over to the away end with his shirt above his head rubbing his belly and flicking the v's at us.

Yep, the best thing was that the goal was ruled out for offside

Spiteful, not a donkey though. Left to sign for Warnock @ Bury.

Worse players who I can think of off the top of my head:

Nicky Spooner, Ian McLean, Mark Arber, Guy Branston, Wes Wilkinson, David Lee.

Greater minds than me will no doubt add others to this illustrious list.

Yep, the best thing was that the goal was ruled out for offside

He scored their first equaliser from the spot in the 2-2 at Gigg Lane, when Preece scored at the death…the one where he had a goal disallowed was the 1-1 also at Gigg Lane in December 2000

Spiteful, not a donkey though. Left to sign for Warnock @ Bury.

Worse players who I can think of off the top of my head:

Nicky Spooner, Ian McLean, Mark Arber, Guy Branston, Wes Wilkinson, David Lee.

Greater minds than me will no doubt add others to this illustrious list.

Wilkinson was a good talent with bags of ability…but a complete bell end that didn't realise what he had…thus he disappeared back to the arse end of non-league as quickly as he arrived. The rest I doft my cap and raise you Neil McDonald, John Gannon, Ronnie Jepson. Phil Starbuck….

Wilkinson was a good talent with bags of ability…but a complete bell end that didn't realise what he had…thus he disappeared back to the arse end of non-league as quickly as he arrived. The rest I doft my cap and raise you Neil McDonald, John Gannon, Ronnie Jepson. Phil Starbuck….

I rememeber Wilkinson threading a peach of a ball through to Murray away at Bristol City which put us 2.0..

Cookesy scored the other...