Tranmere Post Match Thread

I do think Taylor is unfairly singled out when things go wrong for Latics. We probably have higher expectations of him than many others in the side. Maybe we notice him more because he's ginger.

The last two games have seen him playing a lot deeper, providing support for an inexperience youth playing out of position. Against MK Dons both were more successful than against Tranmere.

I do think Mellor has a big future though, and that could be on the left side of midfield.

As for yesterday, there were 10 others on the pitch who were no better than Chris Taylor (including Cisak, who flapped at a couple which is something I've not seen from him since the opening game).

I'm not purposly trying to single anyone out - the whole team is far too often inconsistent - it's our major issue. At times we're a decent side, other times, we're p1ss poor. There is too big a difference between the two abilities. This is probably down to a youngish side.

Sometimes, i agree, taylor is unfairly singled out - but it flips both ways. If morais, reid, black, or many others put in only 1 decent performance in 4 or 5 - we'd all be calling for a change

I would be tempted to play Taylor at left back and Mellor at left wing where he would would pose much more of a threat. Taylor is so so predictable where as Mellor is a bit of an unknown quantity and could be the one to give us that spark up front!!

Morais ( one of the best players in the league!!! ) .... don't make me laugh, we get one good game in 6 and that's why he's here. Cisak, Clarke and Lee give you a performance each and every week but the rest....meh!!!!

The current team is no better than we've had in the past few seasons and a season outside the relegation places is really all we can hope for.....it is just as frustrating as it's ever been watching this team and it sounds like Dickov is beginning to agree....he keeps telling the players what to do but they don't listen............I think that's bollocks and the real reason is they're not good enough!!!!

Nonsense, complete and utter nonsense. Inconsistent, yes, but not good enough? The negativity of some of our support is really grinding.

Edited by JonesyOAFC

I'm not purposely trying to single anyone out - the whole team is far too often inconsistent - it's our major issue. At times we're a decent side, other times, we're p1ss poor. There is too big a difference between the two abilities. This is probably down to a youngish side.

Sometimes, i agree, Taylor is unfairly singled out - but it flips both ways. If Morais, Reid, black, or many others put in only 1 decent performance in 4 or 5 - we'd all be calling for a change

Spot on. Still - Furman should get a start next week and maybe we see the positive again.

Nonsense, complete and utter nonsense. Inconsistent, yes, but not good enough? The negativity of some of our support is really grinding.

I'm not a happy clapper but I do go to most games and I'll say it again....we're not good enough!!!!!

I'm not a happy clapper but I do go to most games and I'll say it again....we're not good enough!!!!!

As O4U above said, not good enough for what? It's nothing to do with being a happy clapper (which is a pathetic term), we're clearly a decent side who've had some good results this season (have you forgotten monday night already, or was that just a fluke?). As I said, and others have pointed out, we're a young side who are inconsistent, that's all.

Aye, we're not good enough to go up or the like, but those who think we should be need to pull their head out of the sand. The team are plenty good enough though to keep themselves up and given the financial constraints under which PD is working he's done brilliantly. There were plenty of us very worried at the start of the season and we're doing just fine.

Many a manager would not have been able to do what PD has. I'll take inconsistent over consistently poor and going down.

Edited by jsslatic

Really disappointing this was; I sat with a Tranmere fan friend of mine in their main stand (the Latics fans sounded great by the way second half). they seemed to want it more, the match started as they so often do with the home team taking the intialtive but just as you expect your side to have weathered things a bit and get into the game by playing a bit of posessiosion we didn't do it. They must practice all week keeping the ball but fail to do it in a match situation ~ there's nothing better to subdue the opposition and the home fans. It pains me to say it as I like the flair players but Morias' passing and input was woeful yesterday, so many times a bit of keep football resulted in Felipe sacrificing possession and that just isn't good enough.

Pluses? Mellor looks a terrific prospect (disappointed to see Taylor having a real go at him in the second half for messing up); Clarke is very solid at this level; Wes very consistent; Cisak very reliable too;

Minuses? Kuqi, big fan but don't give him the captains armband again, constant moaning at the ref which earled him a well deserved booking; Morais as above; Mvoto I like but looked off the pace yesterday and didn't dominate at the back in the way his size suggests he should (and the way he did do last season).

That said I think we ought to have an ok season, with Diamond back (for Mvoto) and Furman back in we ought to look more secure at the back and more potent going forward.

Not good enough for what?

Promotion?

Play-offs?

League One?

I think we're marginally below average for this league. But better than a bottom four prospect.

I think we're marginally above average in this league, with the squad we currently have. We've got players who will probably in the not to distant future be at a higher level (or a good league one team, perhaps thats always in and around the play-offs or a yo-yo team between championship and league one), such as Furman, Mellor, Taylor and Lee. Kuqi is a class above majority of strikers in this league, we've got a steady reliable set of defenders, a good keeper who also has the potential to be at a better team, we've got some good prospects coming through such as Tarky, Bembo and Smith who could already be almost in double figures if it wasn't for the post and crossbar. Reid has vastly improved since last season, and is constantly starting to cause defenders problems when he starts to run at them. We've got the potential it mix it, we can do long-ball direct route, pump it into the box with Smith and Kuqi etc getting their heads on it, or we can knock it about and use the pace of Parker, Taylor, Reid to get in behind. Morais is the type of player most league one club's don't have, the type who has the flair and the ability to unlock any defence with a flick or trick, even if having a shocking game. Wesolowski will allow us to see the best of Furman, as Wes will sit and protect the defence allowing Furman to play further up, dictating the tempo. However, i think we'll end up finishing mid-table if we still think all we have to do is turn up after we have won a couple of the bounce, if we can get past that attitude, we have the ability to get into the play-offs in my opinion.

I think we're marginally above average in this league, with the squad we currently have. We've got players who will probably in the not to distant future be at a higher level (or a good league one team, perhaps thats always in and around the play-offs or a yo-yo team between championship and league one), such as Furman, Mellor, Taylor and Lee. Kuqi is a class above majority of strikers in this league, we've got a steady reliable set of defenders, a good keeper who also has the potential to be at a better team, we've got some good prospects coming through such as Tarky, Bembo and Smith who could already be almost in double figures if it wasn't for the post and crossbar. Reid has vastly improved since last season, and is constantly starting to cause defenders problems when he starts to run at them. We've got the potential it mix it, we can do long-ball direct route, pump it into the box with Smith and Kuqi etc getting their heads on it, or we can knock it about and use the pace of Parker, Taylor, Reid to get in behind. Morais is the type of player most league one club's don't have, the type who has the flair and the ability to unlock any defence with a flick or trick, even if having a shocking game. Wesolowski will allow us to see the best of Furman, as Wes will sit and protect the defence allowing Furman to play further up, dictating the tempo. However, i think we'll end up finishing mid-table if we still think all we have to do is turn up after we have won a couple of the bounce, if we can get past that attitude, we have the ability to get into the play-offs in my opinion.

You should do the team talks Rob.

Although we didn't play well, I still thought we did enough for a point.

They were certainly no better than us in any area of the pitch, there was nothing between the teams aside from one fortunate deflected shot, I suspect both teams will finish in mid table as neither has the necessary quality to push for a play off spot.

Individually we didn't play well, with many below par performances, Morais was dire, Kuqi ineffective, Adeyemni anonymous.

Defensively we were quite solid and didn't give away many opportunities.

We struggled in midfield although Weslowski did his usual hardworking job, Adeyemni was the big let down.

Taylor didn't have a great game, but is still one of our better players and is involved in most good things we do going forward.

We missed Reid as his replacement Morais was shocking, I really like the look of young Mellor and he could be a player, although he was caught out of position for the goal.

Also a much welcome return for Furman, who was busy and organising as soon as he came on, he needs to start next week.

Overall not the worst performance I've seen from us by a long way, but we were largely ineffective going forward and posed them little threat.