Aside from Latics, do you like club football?

94 members have voted

1. 1. Aside from Latics, do you like club football?

• Yes, love the sport
    • It's alright, not mad on it
    • Not as much as I used to
    • Couldn't care less, if it ain't Latics, it ain't worth knowing about!

I love it but I'm not watching international after the Brasil world cup. That qatar fiasco is an absolute joke, and russia. really winds me up that a country which you can see from america has been awarded the world cup on behalf of europe.

You can also see it from Finland... it's a big country. There's plenty of reasons to dislike Russia being handed the world cup (their massive problems with racism, corruption, crime, etc) but that's an odd one.

You can also see it from Finland... it's a big country. There's plenty of reasons to dislike Russia being handed the world cup (their massive problems with racism, corruption, crime, etc) but that's an odd one.

They have a massive Hooligan problem too, according to a Russian friend of mine.

When it comes to International Football, money has clearly dictated the World Cup bids. But it can have a very limited impact on the standard of competition, therefore I will much prefer an International Tournament to the Champions League. As for England, I feel that part of our failings have been brought on by ourselves. We have too much emphasis on effort and too little on tactics and technical ability of players, it's important to get the balance right.

They have a massive Hooligan problem too, according to a Russian friend of mine.

When it comes to International Football, money has clearly dictated the World Cup bids. But it can have a very limited impact on the standard of competition, therefore I will much prefer an International Tournament to the Champions League. As for England, I feel that part of our failings have been brought on by ourselves. We have too much emphasis on effort and too little on tactics and technical ability of players, it's important to get the balance right.

BBC Link

In 2008, Uefa data showed that England had just 2,769 Uefa (Pro, A or B) licenced coaches compared to 34,970 in Germany, 29,240 in Italy and 23,995 in Spain.

An interesting bit of insight into grassroots level football in this country. Those stats are shocking. English players aren't born less technical than Spanish or German players, it's mostly down to coaching at youth level. Your point about the emphasis on effort is spot on. Unfortunately there's also too much emphasis put on winning at youth level, rather than being encouraged to enjoy their football and play the right way.

BBC Link

An interesting bit of insight into grassroots level football in this country. Those stats are shocking. English players aren't born less technical than Spanish or German players, it's mostly down to coaching at youth level. Your point about the emphasis on effort is spot on. Unfortunately there's also too much emphasis put on winning at youth level, rather than being encouraged to enjoy their football and play the right way.

ABSOBLOODYLUTELY

Yet our short sighted FA continue to pump millions into kids football, enpowering thousands(not all!) of ex frustrated amateur footballers to coach our young people how 'not to lose!', train hard from 6 and wonder why after 10 years of this :censored:, we lose so many at 16/17 years old who have had enough of being 'driven and focused'

If you enjoy something, you will want to do it - Not rocket science.

Open age football is suffering massively as a result of this and premiergreed TV matches

Used to be football-mad. These days, I think it's only my Fantasy Football team that keeps me having any interest in life outside of League One

/\ This

And because I'm doing pants this year I haven't been checking it much

I have the Football league show on sky+ series link & watch that on a Sunday morning; but I've lost the will to watch Prem games & as stated on other England threads, I've massively fallen out of love for the National side.

I think these days, becuase I've stopped watching MOTD and Prem games but still watch the Football League Show, I know more of the Torquay side than I would say; Evertons......

I like watching Latics.

In other football I like goals and tackles and passing.

I watch Barca when they are on and highlights pretty much. This year I have enjoyed watching Spurs as they have been very entertaining.

I am a big fan of Kevin Keegan football where games finish 4-3 etc as long as it isn't my team.

I hardly ever watch Internationals as they are so boring. I have no connection with or faith in the England team despite enjoying watching them as a youngster.

That has to be a wind up surely! Football is over hyped so you watch the most hyped sport on the planet! If ever a sport had been utterly destroyed (at the top level at least) by money then it has to be boxing.

Take a bow Don King.

You are joking arent you???!!! i dont normally do this but i dont agree with you:

British Boxing especially has died a death in the last few years. A lack of TV exposure to build house hold names hasnt helped - where is the hype?? Being stuck on sky isnt going to bring people to a mass audience but they are the only ones bar channel 5 seemingly interested. Amir Khan gets a little bit because of his olympic sucess and thats about it.

How many people watched Froch and Khan in the past few weeks in world class fights? can you imagine the advertising and hysteria over a champions league game or wold cup game? Froch is probably our best fighter yet most people in the pub have no idea who is. If he was John O'Shea an average at best premier league player eveyone knows who is. The media saturation with Football is a joke these days. Football focus on a staurday MOTD and MOTD2 countless colum inchess numours games on sky, matches being played everyday of the week to fit TV schedules are you telling me football hasnt been somewhat tainted by money?

With the odd exception here and there. A British level fighter earns nothing near what some lower league players do for potentially putting thier lives on the line.

football is the most over hyped beast there is

Politics exists in boxing and its massive problem - and has been detremental to the game no doubt about it.

King is pretty small time now as well althought granted he was the main player in his, Oscar Delya, Hoya, Lou Dibella and a few others tend to the have the lions share of fighters these days.

Used to be obsessed, then wasnt bothered for years, then became slightly obsessed again.

I'm happy watching my pick of Premier League/Bundesliga/La Liga and a bit of Serie A if I'm feeling kinky. If there was a channel that showed every Latics game I'd watch all of them but there isnt so I have to make do with whatever else is on. I go to games within reach of my house whenever I can and of the 11 or 12 games I've been to this season so far only one of them has been Latics so I guess I'm the polar opposite of most others on this thread.

I've also an increasing attraction to FC Schalke 04 which probably makes me unfaithful to the Faith and a bit of a deviant. Am going to my first match of the season tomorrow night and it's given me the horn to an extent I dont think Latics has in ages. Heretical I know.

You are joking arent you???!!! i dont normally do this but i dont agree with you:

British Boxing especially has died a death in the last few years. A lack of TV exposure to build house hold names hasnt helped - where is the hype?? Being stuck on sky isnt going to bring people to a mass audience but they are the only ones bar channel 5 seemingly interested. Amir Khan gets a little bit because of his olympic sucess and thats about it.

How many people watched Froch and Khan in the past few weeks in world class fights? can you imagine the advertising and hysteria over a champions league game or wold cup game? Froch is probably our best fighter yet most people in the pub have no idea who is. If he was John O'Shea an average at best premier league player eveyone knows who is. The media saturation with Football is a joke these days. Football focus on a staurday MOTD and MOTD2 countless colum inchess numours games on sky, matches being played everyday of the week to fit TV schedules are you telling me football hasnt been somewhat tainted by money?

With the odd exception here and there. A British level fighter earns nothing near what some lower league players do for potentially putting thier lives on the line.

football is the most over hyped beast there is

Politics exists in boxing and its massive problem - and has been detremental to the game no doubt about it.

King is pretty small time now as well althought granted he was the main player in his, Oscar Delya, Hoya, Lou Dibella and a few others tend to the have the lions share of fighters these days.

I woulldn't for a second disagree that football is tainted by cash and boy am I disillusioned about it. You know more about boxing than I do (not hard!) but off the top of my head:

A proliferation of weight divisions meaning more world champions

A proliferation of authorities meaning ...as above

The building up of careers by fighting a string of no hopers (ref. Audley Harrison)

The hype of boxing has effectively turnedit into a very small minority sport way outside the mainstream which is quite an achievement given its status, say, 35 years ago when the vast majority of casual sports followers would have been able to name most of the world champions.

These days I doubt whether any significant number of people could name the top fighters and even if they could then they could quite credibly name three or four in many divisions without any real clue as to who was the best.

Despite the relenetless hyping of football I doubt whether they'll ever be able to bring it to that state of affairs.

I think we're actually agreeing - the problem I see with boxing is that they hype is in the past and it has damaged the sport irreparably

Edited by Dave_Og

Bang next door? Half the capital is in Asia! Not long before chinese clubs are in the champions league, mark my words!

Somehow I don't think so. Lets have a bit of perspective here, Russia is in UEFA and so its correct for them to be treated as Europe in footballing terms. Their western boundary is very much next to Europe and the only reason you can see it from the US, is that its a massive country, bigger than Europe itself.

Turkey maybe historically based in Asia but its also part of UEFA and politically it wants to be in the EU, so I think that on balance it is now considered part of Europe

Edited by jimsleftfoot

Much prefer watching (and taking part in) MMA. It's been a revelation for me, I feel like a giddy little boy watching it in the same way I was when I first started watching football.

I still enjoy lower league football but I'll watch a UFC event over MOTD every single time.

MMA: The fastest growing sport in the world. If you haven't yet; discover it.

Woof.

Much prefer watching (and taking part in) MMA. It's been a revelation for me, I feel like a giddy little boy watching it in the same way I was when I first started watching football.

I still enjoy lower league football but I'll watch a UFC event over MOTD every single time.

MMA: The fastest growing sport in the world. If you haven't yet; discover it.

Woof.

See, I have a problem with UFC as a product; it tries it's best to be accepted - all the while having to shed some of its past connections to NHB - expecially Vale Tudo. I prefer BJJ, although I have trained MMA at Predators with Gav. I'm recovering from a bad injury at the moment (I'm 40 - it's not easy to shake off injuries) and slowly getting back into rolling at Stealth BJJ, in the New Year I'll be back on the mats full time with any luck.

See, I have a problem with UFC as a product; it tries it's best to be accepted - all the while having to shed some of its past connections to NHB - expecially Vale Tudo. I prefer BJJ, although I have trained MMA at Predators with Gav. I'm recovering from a bad injury at the moment (I'm 40 - it's not easy to shake off injuries) and slowly getting back into rolling at Stealth BJJ, in the New Year I'll be back on the mats full time with any luck.

So is there a Predators in Oldham? I live in Accrington so train there and in Blackburn. I know what you mean about the UFC's connections to NHB and VT but I think with shows like TUF and certain ambassadors for the company like Dos Santos, Faber, Machida, Jones to name a few a more presentable image is being slowly garnered. Heck, even the wife is starting to like it.

With the greatest respect meant it's good to hear you're still going at it at 40. I'm 28 and right now don't want to ever

stop.

Woof.

So is there a Predators in Oldham? I live in Accrington so train there and in Blackburn. I know what you mean about the UFC's connections to NHB and VT but I think with shows like TUF and certain ambassadors for the company like Dos Santos, Faber, Machida, Jones to name a few a more presentable image is being slowly garnered. Heck, even the wife is starting to like it.

With the greatest respect meant it's good to hear you're still going at it at 40. I'm 28 and right now don't want to ever

stop.

Woof.

Nice one mate, keep going. I'm not in competition any more, and to be fair all the trophies and medals I've got are from semi-contact Karate.

There isn't a Predators in Oldham, it's in Manchester behind Strangeways in Cheetham Hill. Will Burke used to do the East Lancs Predators, I don't know if that gym is still operating as he co-coaches with Gav in Manchester a lot. I go to Stealth in Oldham, under Steve Campbell.

Somehow I don't think so. Lets have a bit of perspective here, Russia is in UEFA and so its correct for them to be treated as Europe in footballing terms. Their western boundary is very much next to Europe and the only reason you can see it from the US, is that its a massive country, bigger than Europe itself.

Turkey maybe historically based in Asia but its also part of UEFA and politically it wants to be in the EU, so I think that on balance it is now considered part of Europe

Maybe I'm going overboard a little. But if russia is europe then china is on europes border. But russia isnt in europe, neither is israel, its a joke.

Football is ace. There is no other sport like it. I watch loads of the stuff. Premier league can get a bit dull at times, and I rarely watch United (I'd rather not watch them than watch them win... And they usually win), but I'll often end up watching some foreign stuff. The Champions League can be great to watch (especially this season now I don't have to care who wins), and the Euros and World Cup are always the hilight of the year for me.