Best / Worst Boxing day games

Which are your favourite and worst boxing day games?

Best - Beating Wolves 4-1 (Ritchie hat trick IIRC?) - Did we play against Grimsby the next day too?

Worst - Losing to U***** 6-3.

Other good ones that stick out are Chesterfield (3-1 win) and a win at Blackpool 2-0.

Edited by pukka

Which are your favourite and worst boxing day games?

Best - Beating Wolves 4-1 (Ritchie hat trick IIRC?) - Did we play against Grimsby the next day too?

Worst - Losing to U***** 6-3.

Other good ones that stick out are Chesterfield (3-1 win) and a win at Blackpool 2-0.

Best - 1962 Latics 11 Southport 0.

Worst - All erased from my memory.

Worst 3-6 against United ...I went home in a shocking bad mood after it. Wouldn't have happened if we hadn't got rid of Warhusrt & Redfearn , dreadful mistakes imo.

I recall a bloke I worked with , a Liverpool fan , hearing the score on the radio Oldham 3 .... ,thinking wow Oldham have beat United :disappointed:

Spent the first half of the game in the medical room after slamming the car door on my young cousins finger just before ko (yep I like to 'just' make the ko in those days even before being lead a stray by the oasis posse) an only saw second half.

Worst 3-6 against United ...I went home in a shocking bad mood after it. Wouldn't have happened if we hadn't got rid of Warhusrt & Redfearn , dreadful mistakes imo.

I recall a bloke I worked with , a Liverpool fan , hearing the score on the radio Oldham 3 .... ,thinking wow Oldham have beat United :disappointed:

Is that the waterlogged 5-0 victory to us?

Nope i was wrong 01012007

Besides the obvious, one that stands out to me was the 2-1 home win v Port Vale on 26/12/89. Firstly it was my first Boxing Day game, and the unique atmosphere that brings. However, change was afoot, we'd hammered Scarborough and destroyed Arsenal in the League Cup and were handily placed in the League after a good 2-0 win a West Ham, but this for me was when the Oldham public showed the potential of their support. For a team that three months earlier had pulled in 4,972 fans v Plymouth Argyle to witness our first win of the season, there were suddenly 11,000 for the Boxing Day clash, and although the crowd a few days later for the visit of Portsmouth dropped back down to under 9,000 it had been a turning point with crowds not falling under 10,000 again until the visit of Wimbledon in August 1993.

As for a lowlight?

Two penalties conceded in the first twenty minutes at Hartlepool, brought little festive cheer in 2004 but that was all in the shadow of the awful events unfolding in Indonesia, so kind of put football, :censored:-refereeing and that diving little :censored: Adam Boyd into context...

Edited by oafcprozac

Besides the obvious, one that stands out to me was the 2-1 home win v Port Vale on 26/12/89. Firstly it was my first Boxing Day game, and the unique atmosphere that brings. However, change was afoot, we'd hammered Scarborough and destroyed Arsenal in the League Cup and were handily placed in the League after a good 2-0 win a West Ham, but this for me was when the Oldham public showed the potential of their support. For a team that three months earlier had pulled in 4,972 fans v Plymouth Argyle to witness our first win of the season, there were suddenly 11,000 for the Boxing Day clash, and although the crowd a few days later for the visit of Portsmouth dropped back down to under 9,000 it had been a turning point with crowds not falling under 10,000 again until the visit of Wimbledon in August 1993.

As for a lowlight?

Two penalties conceded in the first twenty minutes at Hartlepool, brought little festive cheer in 2004 but that was all in the shadow of the awful events unfolding in Indonesia, so kind of put football, :censored:-refereeing and that diving little :censored: Adam Boyd into context...

I had actually forgotten about that game (thanks for reminding me) - As you say though what happened later makes it irrelevant

As for a lowlight?

I had actually forgotten about that game (thanks for reminding me) - As you say though what happened later makes it irrelevant

The Chesterfield game where it absolutely tipped it down. We hammered them though and had fans dancing without any clothes on above the waist.

My comments on prozac's post on a previous thread on Boxing Day memories.

(oafcprozac @ Dec 12 2010, 13:55 PM) Boxing Day '98 An absolutely hideous day in Derbyshire, saw Latics fans huddled on an open terrace exposed to sever elements for the whole game. Steve Blatherwick scores and early goal and the Latics fans gloom only deepens. Mark Allott though soon equalises with a similar header, before a sublime counter-attack finishes with talisman John Sheridan rolling in the rampaging Andy Holt to blast Latics into the lead. Mark Allott's late close range volley adds suitable gloss the scoreline a welcome 3-1 away success.

Before the game at Chesterfield I told TwenySixBlack, and the now Mrs. TSB, that I had an ambition to catch the ball and then proceed to fumble it and waste time to the advantage of Latics. On that open, sparesely-occupied, wind-swept, rain and sleet-sodden terrace the ball came to me three times in the first half when there was nothing to be gained in time-wasting. When we got 3-1 up, a Chesterfield shot cannoned off a Latics defender's leg, soared into the air and went for a corner. Spinning visciously it plummeted straight into my waiting arms. An England fielder in Australia would have been proud of my catch, which I turned into a Robert Green display of ball-fumbling down the terrace and along the bottom of the wall behind the goal. Eventually the ball became stuck under the steps leading from pitch to terrace and with the 'help' of a fellow-supporter, who had spent the game topless, much against the advice of the stewards concerned about possible hypothermia, we caused the maximum dalay to the Chestefield corner.

(oafcprozac @ Dec 12 2010, 13:55 PM) Boxing Day '00 At a brass monkeys Boundary Park, big spending Wigan Athletic arrive, right on half-time the ever reliable Lee Duxbury hits a bouncing volley from 25 yards into the bottom corner. (I nearly miss it as i'm in the Chaddy End brew queue but turn around just in time!) The scourge of Latics, Simon Haworth levels before Mark Allott rams home the winner after good work from Carlo Corazzin.

There had been so few of us At Chesterfield two years earlier that, no matter how many times I had told the above tale, people seemed to struggle to visualise it.

Then, would you believe it, two years later the opportunity arose once again - this time to delay a Wigan goal-kick when Latics were winning 2-1. Even Roy Carroll in the Wigan goal couldn't resist grinning at my time-wasting ball-fumbling behind the Chaddy End goal. It takes a cheat to appreciate another!

Edited by Diego_Sideburns