Modern Day Footballers

After the awful events at White Hart Lane last night me and the wife (a nurse) were discussing the demands placed on modern day athletes, and we came to the question 'Is too much asked, of our top footballers?' The point is, that this sort of incident, whilst still relatively rare, is happening much more often. So it beggars the question as Tracy pointed out, could it be the players diets? The endless hydration, vitamin supplements, sports supplements etc…. We both think it is something that has to be investigated. Pre-season apart, the players are not beasted in training any more. Training is intended just to keep players ticking over and conditioned for that week's games. So are they playing TOO many games at an optimum level or is it the cocktails of supplements, iso-tonic drinks etc that is causing the problem?

Is Sports Science and its insistence on cocktails of tablets, supplements and iso-tonic drinks coupled with increasing demand to push players harder and further than before weakening are footballers to the point of risking their lives?

After the awful events at White Hart Lane last night me and the wife (a nurse) were discussing the demands placed on modern day athletes, and we came to the question 'Is too much asked, of our top footballers?' The point is, that this sort of incident, whilst still relatively rare, is happening much more often. So it beggars the question as Tracy pointed out, could it be the players diets? The endless hydration, vitamin supplements, sports supplements etc…. We both think it is something that has to be investigated. Pre-season apart, the players are not beasted in training any more. Training is intended just to keep players ticking over and conditioned for that week's games. So are they playing TOO many games at an optimum level or is it the cocktails of supplements, iso-tonic drinks etc that is causing the problem?

Is Sports Science and its insistence on cocktails of tablets, supplements and iso-tonic drinks coupled with increasing demand to push players harder and further than before weakening are footballers to the point of risking their lives?

Interesting thoughts but I think in the case of Muamba it may well be as a result of some Congenital heart disease. I was listening to Radio 5 Live on the way back from Rochdale when this story started to unfold.

As the gravity of the situation became clear, the BBC gave more air time to the story - and we had interviews with Gordon Taylor, Martin Keown, David Pleat. The general consensus was that modern players (and certainly those in the Premier League) are constantly monitored and have to undergo rigorous and regular health assessments - something that was introduced following similar incidents (Marc Vivien Foe is one example).

All the best Fabrice - we wish you a speedy recovery.

I don't know the answer.

But is there any evidence of this sort of thing happening more often in the modern age?

First glance at the list of Wiki suggests so, but if you strip out all the overseas ones, perhaps not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_association_footballers_who_died_while_playing

My gut instinct is that it's simply "one of those things".

It's interesting reading those earlier cases. Gashes on the knee which turns septic, fell on a piece of glass and died after infection. The first one I remember properly was David Longhurst at York City. I'm sure it was when we won at Barnsley in the promotion season and we got to the car all happy like, to hear this crackling through the radio.

Yes, I think it's one of those things. The game is played at a much faster pace, but if his heart had something wrong with it it could have been brought on by anything. If he pulls through, which I hope he does I'll be astonished if he plays another came of football ever again.

It's interesting reading those earlier cases. Gashes on the knee which turns septic, fell on a piece of glass and died after infection. The first one I remember properly was David Longhurst at York City. I'm sure it was when we won at Barnsley in the promotion season and we got to the car all happy like, to hear this crackling through the radio.

Yes, I think it's one of those things. The game is played at a much faster pace, but if his heart had something wrong with it it could have been brought on by anything. If he pulls through, which I hope he does I'll be astonished if he plays another came of football ever again.

GIven that his heart stopped for several minutes, if his brain was starved of both blood and oxygen I think its fair to say he won't play again. They used the de-fib 6 or 7 times apparently.

GIven that his heart stopped for several minutes, if his brain was starved of both blood and oxygen I think its fair to say he won't play again. They used the de-fib 6 or 7 times apparently.

It's quite possible he's suffered brain damage should he pull through. Poor lad.

Footballers are not dying because of isotonic drinks, vitamins, diets, over training. Fabrice Muamba probably has a heart condition, which is probably more prevalent in those of Afro-Caribbean origin. An ECHO which costs around £500 detects the problem in most cases. FIFA could easily make having one compulsory. There was a heart surgeon in the ground yesterday who ran across the pitch to help- but couldn't get there in time when he realised people were tweeting about him he said about making heart screening mandatory.

Another possible cause of a young fit person dropping "dead" was publicised with the sad passing of Mervyn Davies (welsh rugby player) on Friday from cancer. He had a sub arachnoid haemorrhage (brain) on the pitch 30 years ago and was one of the 60% that don't die and one of the 30% that are not permanently disabled. The fact that he had his haemorrhage in Cardiff city centre about half a mile from the local neurosurgical centre will have helped his chances. A sub arachnoid haemorrhage can happen to anyone and can't be screened for.

Incidents like Muambas might be happening more often recently because of the worldwide recruitment of players and due to the nature of the commonest heart condition that cause sudden death making people naturally fitter they stand out more.

Its a very sad situation but it's about time FIFA and the football world realised that if something so relatively cheap can save lives why is it not compulsory.

In the cycling world I think there's no doubt that drug use enabled people to push their bodies further than they were designed to go, with predictable results going at least as far back as Tom Simpson's death in the 60s. Maybe there is a marginal case where some footballers are able to tip themselves over the edge due to their very high fitness levels but I guess that if you have the condition it might just get set off in an average person running up the stairs.

Didn't Asa Hartford and Frank Worthington have suspected heart problems back in the 1970s, and of course sadly the brilliant Alan Groves died of heart failure at the age of 29.

Edited by BP1960

Hartford certainly had a hole in his heart.

I think it was discovered during a medical for a transfer.

Yeah it was he had ECG changes. Fabrice Muamba will almost certainly had a normal athletes ECG- if not then questions will need to be asked about his continued playing. An ECG is not enough every footballer needs an ECHO which is in laymans terms a heart ultrasound.