Government Budget Changes

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Linky to Budget PDF

Search the word "football" I get:

2.58 Champions League Final 2013 – As announced 6 December 2011, legislation will be introduced in Finance Bill 2012 to effect an exemption from UK taxation for money earned by non-resident footballers and team officials in relation to this event, which will be held at Wembley Stadium. (Finance Bill 2012)

AND (potential impact on Latics?)

The Government now confirms that it will proceed with the abolition of the following reliefs from 6 April 2013 (1 April 2013 for corporation tax elements, harbour reorganisation schemes, black beer and Angostura bitters): grants for giving up agricultural land; pool betting duty payments related to safety improvement at football grounds or for the arts;

Edited by opinions4u

14,000 people who earn more than £1,000,000 a year are to get a tax cut of about £40,000 a year.

Families on incomes of £20,000 will be about £250 worse off each year from April.

"We're all in it together."

If you are earning a million pounds a year and not being paid into your own company then you're an idiot. Lots of the top earners in this country are now unable to move house without a big tax bill. They might be £40,000 better off but only if they don't legally reduce the tax they pay anyway. The hard working, highly paid, public sector workers who are supposed to paid as individuals have received a benefit by reducing the amount they pay in tax. The mega rich bankers, celebrities, footballers probably will pay more tax as a result of this budget.

borrowed from another forum

also very clever the wording of the "age related" single persons allowances and to get rid of them under "simplification" because before today (its my job to know... but it is always interesting how many people didn't know)

that the over 65's actually had a higher single persons tax allowance... really.... now be honest....

okay... figures time......

because of the way they are going to do it...

those people under 65 for next tax year it is £8105,

those between 65 and 74 it is £10500

those over 75 it is £10700....

so.... the brilliant coalition.. are freezing the allowances for those over 65, until the ones under 65 catch up...

so... 1 year...2013...£9205

and... 2 years...2014...£10000

and... 3 years... 2015...£10700-ish

gotta love the fine print... obviously pensions go up.. but the allowances are not... so people will go over them... and wheyhey...20% to mr tax man!!!!!

borrowed from another forum

also very clever the wording of the "age related" single persons allowances and to get rid of them under "simplification" because before today (its my job to know... but it is always interesting how many people didn't know)

that the over 65's actually had a higher single persons tax allowance... really.... now be honest....

okay... figures time......

because of the way they are going to do it...

those people under 65 for next tax year it is £8105,

those between 65 and 74 it is £10500

those over 75 it is £10700....

so.... the brilliant coalition.. are freezing the allowances for those over 65, until the ones under 65 catch up...

so... 1 year...2013...£9205

and... 2 years...2014...£10000

and... 3 years... 2015...£10700-ish

gotta love the fine print... obviously pensions go up.. but the allowances are not... so people will go over them... and wheyhey...20% to mr tax man!!!!!

The ‘age-related allowance’, which means pensioners start paying tax at a higher income level than workers, was introduced by Winston Churchill. More than four million pensioners will be £83 worse off by 2014, while 360,000 people aged 65 will lose £285, despite the Chancellor’s claims that the move would not leave pensioners poorer “in cash terms”.

In effect, the Chancellor is charging pensioners for their concessionary travel, whether or not they use it.

The ‘age-related allowance’, which means pensioners start paying tax at a higher income level than workers, was introduced by Winston Churchill. More than four million pensioners will be £83 worse off by 2014, while 360,000 people aged 65 will lose £285, despite the Chancellor’s claims that the move would not leave pensioners poorer “in cash terms”.

In effect, the Chancellor is charging pensioners for their concessionary travel, whether or not they use it.

Funny how the state pension went up though meaning that despite the age discrimination benefit of an increased tax free allowance simply because they are old being scrapped most pensioners are better off. Not to mention the free tv licenses, the free bus passes, the £200 winter fuel allowance. There's a budget calculator on the Beeb website (as I'm not on my computer I can't link to it) but when I put in various pensions, from state only to state and £1000/year to state and £10000/year they all made money as a result of this budget.

Edited by rudemedic

Linky to Budget PDF

Search the word "football" I get:

2.58 Champions League Final 2013 – As announced 6 December 2011, legislation will be introduced in Finance Bill 2012 to effect an exemption from UK taxation for money earned by non-resident footballers and team officials in relation to this event, which will be held at Wembley Stadium. (Finance Bill 2012)

AND (potential impact on Latics?)

The Government now confirms that it will proceed with the abolition of the following reliefs from 6 April 2013 (1 April 2013 for corporation tax elements, harbour reorganisation schemes, black beer and Angostura bitters): grants for giving up agricultural land; pool betting duty payments related to safety improvement at football grounds or for the arts;

REading that, something I am looking into, does it read tax releif on giving up agricultural land will be abloished in April 2013?

"I am seriously considering moving abroad".

Why do you think it would be better abroad?

Cheaper living costs. Affordable fuel. Cheaper luxuries i.e. beer, cigarettes. Better weather!

This country is being run by a set of morons promising you the world until they're in. Then it all changes and they're out to impress their richer friends and leave the middle and lower classes struggling to survive.

The scary thing is...they're all the same, no matter who you vote in.

Cheaper living costs. Affordable fuel. Cheaper luxuries i.e. beer, cigarettes. Better weather!

This country is being run by a set of morons promising you the world until they're in. Then it all changes and they're out to impress their richer friends and leave the middle and lower classes struggling to survive.

That just about sums it up for me...

What is "black beer"? Guinness...?

Well you learn something everyday. Strong beer to be mixed with milk?!

http://www.hm-treasury.gov.uk/d/ots_black_beer.pdf

I have never been in a state where that sounded like a good idea!

Having checked yesterday, you could get 6 bottles at 8.5% for £3.35 on some website.

Edited by jimsleftfoot

It does depend on where you wish to go to. Austrailia for instance is now becoming a very expensive place to live unless you are earning lots of dosh. Afghanistan, you might struggle to buy a drink

Which is what people say when they don't understand the differences.

Edited by jimsleftfoot

Funny how the state pension went up though meaning that despite the age discrimination benefit of an increased tax free allowance simply because they are old being scrapped most pensioners are better off. Not to mention the free tv licenses, the free bus passes, the £200 winter fuel allowance. There's a budget calculator on the Beeb website (as I'm not on my computer I can't link to it) but when I put in various pensions, from state only to state and £1000/year to state and £10000/year they all made money as a result of this budget.

Pensioners have paid taxes throughout their working lives of over 40 years, before qualifying for the age-related allowance. Now the Government intends to pay that allowance to everyone, regardless of age, which is great for workers not having to wait for it like pensioners have done. The move will save the Government £360m in 2013-14, rising to £1bn by 2015 and £1.25bn a year by 2016-17. Those savings are coming from the income pensioners would have received, so pensioners are gong to be worse off in the longer term.

Free TV licences are for those who are over 75 or, subject to certain conditions, who live in nursing or residential care or in sheltered accommodation. Those who are registered blind or severely sight impaired are entitled to a 50% discount on their TV licence. The basis for this concession is that people of that age have little entertainment, other than TV.

Bus travel remains the most used form of public transport, especially by older people. The concessionary travel enables older people to travel free, and bus operators are reimbursed by their local Travel Concession Authority, which is funded from Government taxation. Pensioners pay taxes so it could be argued that they're paying for the concession, particularly following yesterday's budget. If older people did not receive this concession, they would use buses less frequently. The knock-on effect would be that bus companies would not be able to afford to continue providing the extra buses or increased frequency in services required to transport paying travellers e.g. workers.

The winter fuel allowance is paid on the basis that older people are more likely to spend more time in their homes during the winter than people out at work, whose heating can be switched off during the day.

Part of the state pension paid to Britain's most elderly citizens has not been increased for an incredible 41 years - as successive governments have ignored the needs of the over-80s. When pensioners reach 80, their state pension is increased by the Age Addition Allowance. This was introduced by Edward Heath in 1971, when it was set at 25p a week - and that's what it remains at today. Had it just kept pace with inflation, it would now be £2.67.

Pensioners have paid taxes throughout their working lives of over 40 years, before qualifying for the age-related allowance. Now the Government intends to pay that allowance to everyone, regardless of age, which is great for workers not having to wait for it like pensioners have done. The move will save the Government £360m in 2013-14, rising to £1bn by 2015 and £1.25bn a year by 2016-17. Those savings are coming from the income pensioners would have received, so pensioners are gong to be worse off in the longer term.

Free TV licences are for those who are over 75 or, subject to certain conditions, who live in nursing or residential care or in sheltered accommodation. Those who are registered blind or severely sight impaired are entitled to a 50% discount on their TV licence. The basis for this concession is that people of that age have little entertainment, other than TV.

Bus travel remains the most used form of public transport, especially by older people. The concessionary travel enables older people to travel free, and bus operators are reimbursed by their local Travel Concession Authority, which is funded from Government taxation. Pensioners pay taxes so it could be argued that they're paying for the concession, particularly following yesterday's budget. If older people did not receive this concession, they would use buses less frequently. The knock-on effect would be that bus companies would not be able to afford to continue providing the extra buses or increased frequency in services required to transport paying travellers e.g. workers.

The winter fuel allowance is paid on the basis that older people are more likely to spend more time in their homes during the winter than people out at work, whose heating can be switched off during the day.

Part of the state pension paid to Britain's most elderly citizens has not been increased for an incredible 41 years - as successive governments have ignored the needs of the over-80s. When pensioners reach 80, their state pension is increased by the Age Addition Allowance. This was introduced by Edward Heath in 1971, when it was set at 25p a week - and that's what it remains at today. Had it just kept pace with inflation, it would now be £2.67.

Old person on the BBC said... "Its probably fair as the young are struggling... but not until I have gone" and laughed... I didn't think it was funny...

The young are being mugged by the old and it can't continue... Yet governments are too scared of the silver vote to do anything strong about it...

Edited by oafc0000

The young are being mugged by the old and it can't continue... Yet governments are too scared of the silver vote to do anything strong about it...

Considering OAP's receive the second lowest state pension in Europe they aren't making a very good job of mugging anyone. Every generation of youth faces it's own challenges, my dad fought against Nazi's for the likes of you and me, I can assure you he didn't relish it. I don't underestimate the problems faced by the young today but only they can change their lives, you're not going to do it by making whining, self pitying posts on an internet forum. One problem we all face today is our politicians playing their "divide and rule" tactics. You've fallen for it hook line and sinker.