18 Chris Taylor

19 Kieran Lee

20 Youssouf M'changama

21 Kirk Millar

22 Djeny Bembo-Leta

23 Phil McGrath

30 Keanu Marsh-Brown

32 Shefki Kuqi

that have all been able to talk to other clubs since January, if we're not looking to offer any sort of deal until May, we could find we've missed the boat as i'm sure their agents will be working hard in the background.

This is worrying as we've carried a wafer-thin squad this season but are surely going to lose a hefty chunk of it due to our non-committal policy on player contracts. The most important and valuable assets we have are the players yet many could walk for nowt. Crazy! I know we have to cut our cloth accordingly but what hope is there for continuity when the players simply don't know where they stand and is this part of the reason for us tailing off after Christmas every year? It's hard to concentrate on your football with such uncertainty hanging over you…..

The current policy is a clear indication of a reduced budget again for next season.

Edited by oafcprozac

I suppose these mystery potential new investors (that haven't been seen since August) may be about to take over and want a bigger say over who's offered what.

But I think I'm clutching at straws a little ...

I understand the we have to operate within our means but if we lose a chunk of those out of contract - say Taylor, Lee, Simpson, Furman, Wes and Diamond would be able to get similar quality in? I think not, as Sharp said on his departure, 'keep chopping at the tree, and eventually it will fall..'

Another issue is that this statement will be in the Chron as Matt is entitled to print what PD has said today, but what sort of message does that send out at a time when ST prices for next year are not far off being announced? Yet again the club is will be perceived as lacking desire to better itself, to consolidate, build and then challenge. I don't see any of that.

Has anyone seen any clubs from Championship downwards announcing that they have signed a player on pre contract terms? We might not be signing anyone to a new deal until the end of the season but it appears as if we are not the only ones.

We do need to offer Black, Reid, Bouzanis, Youssouf, KMB, Brooke, Millar, Bembo, McGrath a new contract with at least equal to the terms of their current one in writing by May 30 in order to still get compensation though.

I understand the we have to operate within our means but if we lose a chunk of those out of contract - say Taylor, Lee, Simpson, Furman, Wes and Diamond would be able to get similar quality in? I think not, as Sharp said on his departure, 'keep chopping at the tree, and eventually it will fall..'

Another issue is that this statement will be in the Chron as Matt is entitled to print what PD has said today, but what sort of message does that send out at a time when ST prices for next year are not far off being announced? Yet again the club is will be perceived as lacking desire to better itself, to consolidate, build and then challenge. I don't see any of that.

But conversley, the likes of Furman, Reid, Diamond and Wes have all missed large chunks of the season injured.

As :censored: as it sounds, if the budget is cut as substantially as many expect then Oldham Athletics aims for 2012/2013 will be

- Finish as high as possible whilst avoiding relegation

- Get as far as possible in cup competitions

In which case I don't think Oldham can afford to carry the likes of Wesolowski, Reid and Diamond. Think Lee will stay (maybe even made captain) but can't see Furman, Simpson or Taylor staying, and would wager that any potential replacements brought in will be on alot less money.

Edited by Lookers_Carl

But conversley, the likes of Furman, Reid, Diamond and Wes have all missed large chunks of the season injured.

As :censored: as it sounds, if the budget is cut then Oldham Athletics aims for 2012/2013 will be

- Finish as high as possible whilst avoiding relegation

- Get as far as possible in cup competitions

And if the 2012/2013 budget is going to be substantially reduced as many seemingly expect it to be, then I don't think Oldham can afford to carry the likes of Wesolowski, Reid and Diamond. Think Lee will stay (maybe even made captain) but can't see Furman, Simpson or Taylor staying, and would wager that any potential replacements brought in will be on alot less money.

I'll predict now that if we lose Simpson, Furman, Wes, Taylor and Kuqi, which doesn't seem at all unlikely, we won't be able to replace them with players who are good enough to keep us up and we'll be relegated next season.

I really dont get why we are not offering contacts to the players that we want to keep but at the same time i really doubt that they are all going to get better contracts elsewhere.

The Likes of Taylor, Zander, Morais, Wesolowski, Furman etc are decent league one players. But i doubt the top 5 (6 including Preston) in this division will be knocking our door down for any of these players. So that leaves the rest of the teams, where are they going to get these contracts from. Are the likes of Orients, Colchester, Carlisle, Tranmere, Brentford, Scunny, Dales, Bury, Notts county etc etc etc really going to offer them better contacts than we are? I dont know but i doubt it?.

Are any championship clubs going to be interested in any of our players. Only one i can think that is even good enough for the championship is Lee and at a push simpson. Taylor might get a move off reputation

That then leaves your Paul Blacks, Ruben, Brooke etc who with hundreds of out of contract players this summer can be easily replaced.

Like i say I dont see why the club wont offer contacts to the ones they want to keep but at the same time i doubt all these players are going to have much better offers elsewhere in the summer should we decide to offer them contracts. But that doesnt stop them agreeing to sign with clubs willing to offer there agents terms now.

Lee, Taylor. Cisak and Furman could be targets for other clubs but I can't see clubs falling over each other to sign the rest.

Yes it's a dangerous game but all clubs will be in the same boat and chairmen do talk to each other so perhaps it's the end of player power in the lower divisions.

Dickov has a good record in attracting players so I'm not unduly worried.....apart from the bigger clubs it's an even playing field and anything to help bring down players salaries has to be a good thing....there will be loads of players out of contract in June so no need to panic.

I think Dickov will have one or two verbal contract offers agreed and anyway our 'star' players didn't exactly set the place on fire did they?

It is time clubs stopped bowing down to agents and began to live in the real world.

I am a lot more concerned with the lack of stadium plans...Corney has already said he has been ready to walk away on a couple of occasions. This approaching close season will be one of the most important in our recent history....we will certainly be cutting the playing budget again.......assuming we have one at all!!!

Edited by oafc1955

Matt Chambers ‏ @Matt_chambers_

On contracts for next season, PD said club has option to extend some existing deals for further year. Kuqi and Furman included #oafc

No need to rush then. The ball is in our court.

Good news if true, although I'm very surprised to see that about Furman. He signed a three-year deal and an option to extend beyond that is pretty unusual.

He has since Tweeted that we have options with various players, Kuqi and Furman are two. Sky reported earlier in the season that Diamond has a rolling deal, in terms of who we keep I think we will manage a fair few.

T doubt many teams will offer Wes that high a deal-bad injury record and coming out of surgery, Simmo recieved a fair few others in the summer but none in an area he wants to work, he said he wants to stay local so good chance with him, Lee will want to stay in the North West so again good chance. Kuqi is unlikely to get an offer from a Championship club and has already said that if he plays in League 1 it will be with us. Morais seems happy here under PD and won't get many bteter offers, Black is unlikely to recieve too many offers also.

But I think we will lose Taylor and Furman plus any we get rid off, but what ever happens we will have to wait until they get off their hols. Once one signs though, offers will follow suit.

He has since Tweeted that we have options with various players, Kuqi and Furman are two. Sky reported earlier in the season that Diamond has a rolling deal, in terms of who we keep I think we will manage a fair few.

T doubt many teams will offer Wes that high a deal-bad injury record and coming out of surgery, Simmo recieved a fair few others in the summer but none in an area he wants to work, he said he wants to stay local so good chance with him, Lee will want to stay in the North West so again good chance. Kuqi is unlikely to get an offer from a Championship club and has already said that if he plays in League 1 it will be with us. Morais seems happy here under PD and won't get many bteter offers, Black is unlikely to recieve too many offers also.

But I think we will lose Taylor and Furman plus any we get rid off, but what ever happens we will have to wait until they get off their hols. Once one signs though, offers will follow suit.

Let's face it, no one would shed too many tears if Black left, would they? Not a terrible player but very replaceable.

According to Matt Chambers

So that's

3 Paul Black Defender

4 James Wesolowski

5 Zander Diamond

7 Filipe Morais

8 Dean Furman

9 Reuben Reid

10 Robbie Simpson

13 Dean Bouzanis

15 Ryan Brooke

18 Chris Taylor

19 Kieran Lee

20 Youssouf M'changama

21 Kirk Millar

22 Djeny Bembo-Leta

23 Phil McGrath

30 Keanu Marsh-Brown

32 Shefki Kuqi

that have all been able to talk to other clubs since January, if we're not looking to offer any sort of deal until May, we could find we've missed the boat as i'm sure their agents will be working hard in the background.

This is worrying as we've carried a wafer-thin squad this season but are surely going to lose a hefty chunk of it due to our non-committal policy on player contracts. The most important and valuable assets we have are the players yet many could walk for nowt. Crazy! I know we have to cut our cloth accordingly but what hope is there for continuity when the players simply don't know where they stand and is this part of the reason for us tailing off after Christmas every year? It's hard to concentrate on your football with such uncertainty hanging over you…..

The current policy is a clear indication of a reduced budget again for next season.

You mentioned it your opening post, and others have mentioned it also - teams in England CANNOT speak to players who play in England from january onwards if they are out of contract in the summer. It's something like from may onwards or after last game of the season. If it was a team from outside England they can, but in England your not allowed to officially speak to the player out of contract 6 months in advance if the player plays for a team in the same country as you..

Let's face it, no one would shed too many tears if Black left, would they? Not a terrible player but very replaceable.

Could the same be said for Diamond, Reid and Wesolowski? As good as wesolowski may be, any club operating on a reduced budget can't really afford to spend a substantial chunk of that budget on players who are likely to miss a fair bit of the season through injury.