Paul Black released

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The cull starts eh?

Slightly surprised at this. I rate him, I think he's a decent, solid middle of the road league 1 left back. A steady Eddie type, who is what you need in a squad IMO.

IMO - Evina was not better than him. Mellor isn't better than him at LB. Diallo certainly looks no better.

I think the writing was on the wall for him at Anfield onwards though. PD dropping him for that game showed that PD had / has doubts.

As I've posted previously, Andy Taylor will be our new left back next season, so Blacky's wage being freed up will I guess be put towards that?

That said, if one of them is remaining next season - I'd have prefered Black over Diallo but hey how, thems the breaks sometimes.

Thanks Paul and good luck in finding a new club.

I think he is good enough to be a reserve at worst at this level. He should easily find somewhere else to play in League 2 at minimum. I'm surprised we didn't offer him a written contract on the same terms he was on. As doing that means we are entitled to some form of compensation if he goes elsewhere. It's not 100% certain that this hasn't happened, as it could have done but Black was after more money and so turned it down. We didn't want to pay him more and so in Blacks words he hasn't been offered a new contract when the truth would have been to say he hasn't been offered a new contract that he was happy with.

Of course offering him a contract when PD isnt going to pick him runs the risk he signs it, meaning we are paying him when we didn't want to. So he uses up a wage that could have been used elsewhere.

The cull starts eh?

Slightly surprised at this. I rate him, I think he's a decent, solid middle of the road league 1 left back. A steady Eddie type, who is what you need in a squad IMO.

IMO - Evina was not better than him. Mellor isn't better than him at LB. Diallo certainly looks no better.

I think the writing was on the wall for him at Anfield onwards though. PD dropping him for that game showed that PD had / has doubts.

As I've posted previously, Andy Taylor will be our new left back next season, so Blacky's wage being freed up will I guess be put towards that?

That said, if one of them is remaining next season - I'd have prefered Black over Diallo but hey how, thems the breaks sometimes.

Thanks Paul and good luck in finding a new club.

Agree - he was an okay left back at this level and certainly would not expect Diallo to be retained if Black has gone.

Good Luck Paul - I am sure you will get another club.

I feel for him mostly because he works so hard off the pitch. Real shame that I think he was just a little short on quality. I hope for his personal sake that he proves the club wrong, so long as it doesn't come back to bite us!

i liked him as a player and he was fairly solid when he played, we have conceded lots of goals on the left though and his injury cant have helped. he'll end up somewhere like rotherham or a high L2 team and there's not reason why he cant have a decent lower league career

My money is on Mellor being groomed as the long term solution at left back. As PD said earlier this season he and Winchester are not training full time yet only once a week with the first team squad something which will change next year. Hopefully both will get a good pre season in and start really pushing for the first team.

Is Mellor a left back, Centre, Mid, or Left Mid? He could be any he has a long way to go to develop but if he learns to defend properly and add that to his ability to get forward and his ability to strike the ball he should come good.