Players Latics should have signed from lower local league clubs ?

Latics must have had in the recent past the chance to sign some good players from lower placed local clubs before they were established (as they did with Alex Cisak) when they wouldn't have cost much - players from Rochdale, Bury, Accrington, Macclesfield, Stockport for example.

Are there any who you think should have been snapped up before they moved on to a higher level like Grant Holt and Rickie Lambert, or maybe there's someone now you think may fit the bill ?

Of course not all players who look good at lower level go on to better things, but it must rankle a bit when opportunities right under the clubs nose are missed.

How many have we actually signed from non-league that have hacked it?

Mark Ward

Tony Ellis

Fitz Hall

Wayne Andrews

Ernie Cooksey

Any more?

I was thinking of local clubs in/was the Football league Dave such as Rochdale, Bury, Accrington, Macclesfield and Stockport.

Edited by BP1960

How many have we actually signed from non-league that have hacked it?

Mark Ward

Tony Ellis

Fitz Hall

Wayne Andrews

Ernie Cooksey

Any more?

Lets be honest, Ernie didn't really hack it. He was a bit part player and then went to Rochdale. All round good bloke and a tragic loss, but he didn't really cut it in the first XI.

Lets be honest, Ernie didn't really hack it. He was a bit part player and then went to Rochdale. All round good bloke and a tragic loss, but he didn't really cut it in the first XI.

That's your view, he was a main part in what kept us up in that season during administration. Scored crucial goals and was immense in the air.

That's your view, he was a main part in what kept us up in that season during administration. Scored crucial goals and was immense in the air.

He was one of the best out of a mediocre bunch.. him and murray worked well in the middle.

Speaking of players we should have kept, Paul Murray was a must, they should have done their all to keep him at the time - top player!

Was very good in the air for his size. Yes, but the point I make is he went from us, to Rochdale's bench.

That doesn't mean he "cut it" to me - more, had a flirt with a higher division. Jon Stead for example scored some goals that kept blackburn up one year and played really well. Then went back to his level.

As said, that is my opinion.

I was thinking of local clubs in/was the Football league Dave such as Rochdale, Bury, Accrington, Macclesfield and Stockport.

Off topic BP but sign of the times at Eastwood Town today (at Stortford). They've only named one sub - a keeper

Off topic BP but sign of the times at Eastwood Town today (at Stortford). They've only named one sub - a keeper

Perhaps Latics should have loaned them a few players before the deadline to help them out.

I won't get thanked for mentioning this, but midfielder Dan Gardner scored a hat trick for Droyslden today, taking his tally well into the 20s. I wonder which other other Latics central midfielder (or even striker) could have managed that ?

Matt Smith scored a lot in that league last season didn't he?

He did, but had the same impact at the Bloods as the Latics.

He certainly couldn't have done much worse though in goal scoring terms had he started as many games as Kuqi.

Edited by BP1960

Perhaps Latics should have loaned them a few players before the deadline to help them out.

I won't get thanked for mentioning this, but midfielder Dan Gardner scored a hat trick for Droyslden today, taking his tally well into the 20s. I wonder which other other Latics central midfielder (or even striker) could have managed that ?

Dwight Gayle at Stortford reached 40 yesterday with the help of a few soft goals late on but I don't think he's L1 level yet,

Craig Noone at Brighton(via Plymouth from Southport)and Mark Duffy at Scunthorpe(via Morecambe from Southport),two very good wingers,espec Noone.

In a team who did exceptionally well to finish just outside the Conference play-offs this season as a part-time club in a division where now 9/10 are full-time I'd be looking at Shaun Whalley,a goal scoring midfielder with drive and energy who would not cost the earth,worth a trial pre-season IMO.

Dwight Gayle at Stortford reached 40 yesterday with the help of a few soft goals late on but I don't think he's L1 level yet,

Have seen him, he's very quick but lightweight, more of a winger I would say - so 40 goals isn't bad for a wide man.

Hard to day if he could adapt to league football, but if he's not given the chance we will never know.

Craig Noone at Brighton(via Plymouth from Southport)and Mark Duffy at Scunthorpe(via Morecambe from Southport),two very good wingers,espec Noone.

In a team who did exceptionally well to finish just outside the Conference play-offs this season as a part-time club in a division where now 9/10 are full-time I'd be looking at Shaun Whalley,a goal scoring midfielder with drive and energy who would not cost the earth,worth a trial pre-season IMO.

Whalley can be very good on his day, but not IMO in the same class as Gardner.

Whalley can be very good on his day, but not IMO in the same class as Gardner.

I've also mentioned Dan Gardner before, he would be far more suited to this league than Matt Smith was simply because of his footballing ability. He would be an excellent signing, as for Shaun Whalley, when he was at Droylsden he showed potential but I doubt he would make League 1 football however I'd be glad to be proven wrong if he came to BP.