Woy for England

What is this love in with Parker? Agree Gerrard has been disappointing for England but Parker is nowhere near good enough, look at his performances against United, City, Arsenal and Chelsea this season.

My England Team

Hart

Richards

Jones

Cahill (Capt)

Cole

Young

Barry

Rodwell

Rooney

Welbeck

Walcott

When Wilshire's fit, he replaces Barry

Like Germany did, young, vibrant, new - can gain the experience together, a chance to sweep away Terry, Lampard, Gerrard et al the people that have let us down time and again. Rooney's in there as he is still a relatively young man and is still our match-winner when he's up for it. This Championships is his last chance though to make an impact on a finals.

Parker is simply not international class for me and never an England captain.

What is this love in with Parker? Agree Gerrard has been disappointing for England but Parker is nowhere near good enough, look at his performances against United, City, Arsenal and Chelsea this season.

My England Team

Hart

Richards

Jones

Cahill (Capt)

Cole

Young

Barry

Rodwell

Rooney

Welbeck

Walcott

Like Germany did, young, vibrant, new - can gain the experience together, a chance to sweep away Terry, Lampard, Gerrard et al the people that have let us down time and again. Rooney's in there as he is still a relatively young man and is still our match-winner when he's up for it. This Championships is his last chance though to make an impact on a finals.

Parker is better than Barry who is genearlly non existent for England

Rodwell should probably play for Everton on a regualr basis before he secures a place in the countrys midfield

Welbeck is a very busy non scoring striker but will improve but should not be near the England first 11 yet

Jones needs to pay for United at the back regualr before England

Wallcott never produces who do we have on the right that does? Lennon more this season when fit

young and vibrant does not mean good enough - the german players delivered for their clubs half of that squad isnt even first choice for theirs

Edited by palmer1

Don't mind Hodgson at all, didn't get a chance at Liverpool, he wasn't who they wanted and they let him know it until the day he left. He's a good coach and a classy guy. Good luck to him because i wouldn't want that job in a million years.

I'd take that job tomorrow, just for the money! Aim to be so bad that you get paid off.

As for our midfield, Lampard should be in contention due to his Chelsea performances this season.

A mate who's an Arsenal fan reckons Oxlade-Chamberlain is the bees knees and better than Walcott - worth a shout?

My England Team

Hart

Richards

Jones

Cahill (Capt)

Cole

Young

Barry

Rodwell

Rooney

Welbeck

Walcott

Supprised you havent got Walker in at right back...

Parker is better than Barry who is genearlly non existent for England

Rodwell should probably play for Everton on a regualr basis before he secures a place in the countrys midfield

Welbeck is a very busy non scoring striker but will improve but should not be near the England first 11 yet

Jones needs to pay for United at the back regualr before England

Wallcott never produces who do we have on the right that does? Lennon more this season when fit

young and vibrant does not mean good enough - the german players delivered for their clubs half of that squad isnt even first choice for theirs

Agree to disagree over Barry, he's a holding midfielder and has done the job well for England, he's no frills but has been good again for City this year, but he would lose his place to Wilshire when fit.

Walcott's pace worries teams, his end product is inconsistent but on his day can be unplayable and there's been positive signs of adding consistency to his game this year than ever before. With the Ox in reserve he has real competition so will need to up his game.

As for Lennon, flatters to deceive too often for me.

Rodwell is suffering from the Premiership disease of playing average foreigners in front of very good young English players.

Jones has played at full-back, at CB and in midfield for United all season long, when he's played for England he's been superb.

Welbeck and Rooney in tandem will cause problems, United have been at their best this year with those two.

As for the Germans a few were fringe players and fast-tracked from U21 level, thrown in after the 2008 Championships, it has worked wonders for them so far.

Lukers: Lampard has been better in the second half of the season, but having failed in 04, 06. 08, 10…etc… it's time to move on from the 'Golden Generation' imo...

One thing Hodgson will do given time is thrown the youth in, he tried similar at Liverpool and was slated for it but young lads like Kelly, Shelvey, Flanagan and Spearing are playing every week now…..

Edited by oafcprozac

I'm still stunned at this sense from the FA. I'm firmly in the anyone but Redknapp camp, I've not wanted him to be anywhere near the England setup since it was clear that he was the media's front runner.

He's about as tactically competent as a whelk and would turn out to be a very destructive force within the FA, if that is possible. As has previously been said, there's no wheeling and dealing in international football, the manager has to blend different players quickly, assess situations quickly and adapt. Plus England's problems are pretty deep, the game is broken from top to bottom, whilst it isn't really in the England manager's remit to fix it any England manager worth their salt will try to fix it. I believe Roy will try to do this.

We are not going to get any further than quarter finals in Euro 2012 or WC 2014, Euro 2016 is probably out of our reach too due to this sheer lack of technical ability our players possess. There is little point appointing some tub thumper or foreign tactical genius to try and win these competitions, we need someone to come in and fix the shambles that is youth development so that we stand a chance in 2016,18,20 and onwards.

We get a few things right but I always come back to the argument that Messi would not have made it as a footballer if he had been born in Barnsley or Dagenham, he'd have been rejected for being too small and slight, same as Maradona. Too many players are rejected at an early age for the wrong reasons, too many kids are stuck on full size pitches too early. Even though we've seen Barcelona knocked out of the Champions League by a poor Chelsea side I bet we can all agree that Barca's football is a joy to watch at times, Cryuff laid the groundwork for this by getting them to follow the Ajax model - this is something we need to replicate but I would get the larger clubs out of youth development, they may have the best facilities but they are too results orientated.

I would like to see Roy take us to the euros and world cup then step aside for a younger man but stay as a "director of football" within the FA overseeing the whole of football development in England".

Cannot say the Roy Hodgson will be the new Messiah or not, but sorting the whole England set up from top to bottom will clearly not be in his remit. He'll have enough to do elsewhere.

I cannot believe the FA fell for "It has to be an Englishman", if we are doing crap, the press will not care if it he is English or not. Witness the villification of Graham Taylor et al.

I am amazed at the time it has taken to come up with this shortlist of one, it would be interesting to see the due dilligence checks for Hodgson and anyone else in the initial list. Hodgson clearly has ability but the best and only candiate? Shocking on every level.

Of course, I hope he does well, and proves the doubters (including me) ,distinct from the anti's, wrong.

Edited by singe

Mmmmm, I'm not sure about this, i can't forget what a disaster he had at Liverpool.

He seems to do better with smaller clubs and not the massive egos he will encounter in the England job, if his Liverpool and inter experiences are anything to go by.

If it goes wrong in the euros (and it will) the FA will be castigated for not getting Redknapp.

Mmmmm, I'm not sure about this, i can't forget what a disaster he had at Liverpool.

He seems to do better with smaller clubs and not the massive egos he will encounter in the England job, if his Liverpool and inter experiences are anything to go by.

If it goes wrong in the euros (and it will) the FA will be castigated for not getting Redknapp.

Got to agree there

It would probably have been better to put Pearce in charge of the Euros.

The England players hated the humdrum of CApello, but Woy seems just as detailed orientated.

LEts hope all our worries are ov er nothing.

Agree to disagree over Barry, he's a holding midfielder and has done the job well for England, he's no frills but has been good again for City this year, but he would lose his place to Wilshire when fit.

Walcott's pace worries teams, his end product is inconsistent but on his day can be unplayable and there's been positive signs of adding consistency to his game this year than ever before. With the Ox in reserve he has real competition so will need to up his game.

As for Lennon, flatters to deceive too often for me.

Rodwell is suffering from the Premiership disease of playing average foreigners in front of very good young English players.

Jones has played at full-back, at CB and in midfield for United all season long, when he's played for England he's been superb.

Welbeck and Rooney in tandem will cause problems, United have been at their best this year with those two.

As for the Germans a few were fringe players and fast-tracked from U21 level, thrown in after the 2008 Championships, it has worked wonders for them so far.

Lukers: Lampard has been better in the second half of the season, but having failed in 04, 06. 08, 10…etc… it's time to move on from the 'Golden Generation' imo...

One thing Hodgson will do given time is thrown the youth in, he tried similar at Liverpool and was slated for it but young lads like Kelly, Shelvey, Flanagan and Spearing are playing every week now…..

I'm intrigued by this. Bringing Wilshere in would change the system & style of play as he would look to get forward & create more than Barry. Even if Wilshere was told to sit deep and spray passes he wouldn't be the break it up, pass it on man that Barry is.

A midfield pairing of Rodwell & Wilshere could end up similar to the Lampard-Gerrard axis...both are happy to try to do their defensive work but they're going to have to subdue a natural tendency to drift forward and create (Wilshere) or make attacking raids (Rodwell). If an understanding is struck and only one of these happens at once it could be sensational...but if not it will see us open to simple counters through the middle of the park.

I agree with your comments re Walcott, he's really upped his game since he's felt the Ox breathing down his neck. With Chamberlain (and maybe Sturridge) to come on late in games we have the potential for devastatingly quick counter attacks - if that pace & trickery is harnessed correctly.

As for Cahill as captain...well I laughed when I read it, though that may have been a slight overreaction. Not this summer for me, I wouldn't particularly even want to start him this summer. Given a couple of years though and - most importantly - regular games at Chelsea and he could be the man to lead us in Brazil.