Few Snippets from Matt Chambers on Twitter

From PD's Thursday Press Conference:-

Championship Clubs have already spoken to Taylor's agent

Kieran Lee offer is still on the table - awaiting response

Wants to keep Wes

Change of approach this Summer in terms of recruitment, wants work-ethic over style

Already speaking to United over Brown coming for the season

Edited by oafcprozac

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From PD's Thursday Press Conference:-

Championship Clubs have already spoken to Taylor's agent

Kieran Lee offer is still on the table - awaiting response

Wants to keep Wes

Change of approach this Summer in terms of recruitment, wants work-ethic over style

Already speaking to United over Brown coming for the season

More from Gavin Browne

PD: players want to bow out with a win on Saturday but the team picked will also be with next season in mind

PD: if the team hasn't been good enough, it means he hasn't been good enough either - he knows what he wants to do next season

PD: he's tried a smaller squad of more talented players to play the right way but it hasn't worked this season

PD: looking to get in better players all over the pitch; leaked goals defensively and haven't taken chances when they've been created

PD: talking to
with regards to loaning Reece Brown for all of next season; he's enjoyed it and United are happy as well

PD: just because the budget's been cut doesn't necessarily mean he can't get good players; he's spoken to a number of players already

PD: Chris Taylor's also had a new contract offer but he's aware Championship clubs have been talking to him and his agent

PD: club's been talking on and off with Kieran Lee's agent for months - he's had an offer and the club's awaiting a response

PD: we want
to stay, the indication is he's happy to do so but they have to sit down with his agent

those players offered contracts for next season will have to agree by a certain deadline or the offer will be withdrawn

final Thursday presser this season: PD will tell
players out of contract their fate on Monday
Edited by oafcprozac

Just read the official site article and guessed there would be a thread on here about it.

Nothing I don't think too many of us will be surprised at in there - though I do wonder where Morais is in that little update?

Lee - glad there is an offer on the table. Hopefully it is financially enough to keep him at a club he appears to be happy & settled at. I wouldn't for one moment begrudge him a move to a Championship club though. Hope to keep him, I really do, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him leave to a higher club.

Taylor - again, I'm glad an offers been made. I hope he signs it. Same for Lee though; he's already said he wants to play in the Championship; and if he's had offers - then it looks like he'll be off. Again, same as Lee, I wish him all the very the best in testing himself at a higher level. Like PD though, because he clearly loves the club; if Championship deals don't work out; I can only see him playing for us in League 1; not a sideways move to other club. Hope he signs; but I don’t think he will.

Wes - this is good news; positive noises and the like. I think the fact we have been supportive through the injury; and up until that; he was appearing to enjoy himself here - playing games and scoring a few important goals, bodes well. I can actually see him signing another 1 year deal with a 2nd year option. PD & GT clearly like & rate him, and he is a cracking player who we have massively missed whilst he's been out. I hope & think he will sign.

Brown -am I the only one who's still "Meh" about him? He was dog awful in midfield; truly shocking at LB - but has been much improved at CB - but he's hardly an worldy is he? * I think we could do better out there in the free transfer market, as if what SC alluded to in his last interview is true; we have been & will continue to need to pay his wages in full if he's coming back. He hoofs far too much for my liking, and whilst he's been steady enough at CB, he only adds to, not solves, the youth & inexperience of our back line.

Not mentioned in the official article - Morais, Simpson, KMB, Kuqi, Diallo, M'Changama…….is there another one on the way with updates for those I wonder; or is that it?

Of those, I would hope we are looking to keep Morais, Simpson, KMB & M'Changama. My feelings on Kuqi are well known; and Diallo can go for me; as weak as Mellor is at LB; he's still better than Diallo from what I've seen.

.* Well aware we wont be signing a worldy player. But the clamour to sign Brown up for next season is strange IMO - he's not that good (!)

Brown -am I the only one who's still "Meh" about him? He was dog awful in midfield; truly shocking at LB - but has been much improved at CB - but he's hardly an worldy is he? * I think we could do better out there in the free transfer market, as if what SC alluded to in his last interview is true; we have been & will continue to need to pay his wages in full if he's coming back. He hoofs far too much for my liking, and whilst he's been steady enough at CB, he only adds to, not solves, the youth & inexperience of our back line.

.* Well aware we wont be signing a worldy player. But the clamour to sign Brown up for next season is strange IMO - he's not that good (!)

Currently I would agree with you, if we were paying Diamond the same as Brown, which I doubt, I'd rather have Diamond as we need his experience both on and off the pitch and in the games when he was up against a quality forward (Hudds and Liverpool for example) he played very well. Diamond, however, is probably as good as he will get, Brown perhaps still has some improving to do. I think we need some more experience in the squad, especially if we are unable to keep Taylor, Lee, Simpson and Wes and even if we did keep all of them, which is highly unlikely, Taylor aside, Diamond has a season's worth more experience on them.

Him and M'Voto have played at CB together 7 times, we've kept 3 clean sheets in a season where those have been at a premium. The other four games we've conceded 5 goals (one of those was when JYM had already been red carded)

He'll do for me, way ahead of Tarky at CB imo, just don't put him anywhere near midfield!

Who do we think are the players with 'natural ability' of the kind we won''t be getting in next season but will be forfeited for players with a hard work ethic?

I'd say Scapuzzi, certainly but I wonder where Morais is positioned in that? He's one of the few that's done well in the second half of the season but before that, it would have been easy to argue that he was a bit of a luxury.

But he's not that bad either, the club could certainly do worse, and if Man U are willing to pay his wages or most of them for the season then its a no brainer for me.

29 goals in 17 games Tarky has been on the field, plenty to do yet with young Tarky.

In Tarky's last 7 games we've conceded 13 goals and no clean sheets. I like Tarky, but he needs to learn and quick. Brown would be a very good signing over a season, as long as we bring in AN Other too.

Who do we think are the players with 'natural ability' of the kind we won''t be getting in next season but will be forfeited for players with a hard work ethic?

I'd say Scapuzzi, certainly but I wonder where Morais is positioned in that? He's one of the few that's done well in the second half of the season but before that, it would have been easy to argue that he was a bit of a luxury.

KMB definitely, SImpson? I hope not with Morais, he's been player of the season since December. Tarky? Tbh been through the squad and there's not that many you'd term with 'natural ability'. Interesting summer ahead….perhaps PD is going back to his first instinct of when he initially arrived? Namely steady Eddie's out wide like Jones and Lewi, we looked our most compact, threatening and played our best football.

Morais of pre-xmas would be included but one thing that has impressed me about his play after xmas was the extra little bit of effort he put in defensively and I would hope Dickov keeps him. I can see KMB being included in the natural ability but no work ethic, the same with Parker.

I'd have Brown over Tarky at centre half any day of the week! I know he's young and needs to be playing games to improve but let him make mistakes on loan in league 2, not when we're struggling to stay out of league 2. Every time I've seen him/seen "highlights" of him he's been (in some part, not always solely his fault) at fault for a goal conceded. And his constant instance on trying these raking balls from the back are just as useful as a long hoof up field to no one.

But he's not that bad either, the club could certainly do worse, and if Man U are willing to pay his wages or most of them for the season then its a no brainer for me.

But as I said above, that's the issue for me. It seems he hasn't been here FOC; and if that's the case - he wont be next season surely?

Paying a big chunk of, or even all of, Reece Browns wages to have him here on loan next season seems false economy. He's a mere kid. He's really inexperienced. He's not that good (IMO). Yes, he has a bit of potential; but he's someone else's potential that would be costing us for the privilege of playing.

My point is we could do better - and by better I mean that we could IMO sign a more seasoned & experienced player - from the free transfer market; rather than again play a kid on loan.

Just from a pretty quick scooch around the free transfer signings; these players, CB's, are all available and IMO would make a better ROI than paying full-whack for an inexperienced kid *:

Mark Beevers

Matt Heath

Paul Huntington

Troy Archibald-Henville

David Merfin

Nathan Clarke

Karleigh Osbourne

Ash Taylor

Harlee Dean

Ryan Dickson (usually a LB but can play CB)

They're all from our division; and would IMO serve us better in the CB than Reece Brown.

.* All Bar Beevers & Clarke are from sides in & around us; so I've made the assumption that wages might be do-able for us. Quite an assumption I know; but done t make my point.

I'd have Brown over Tarky at centre half any day of the week! I know he's young and needs to be playing games to improve but let him make mistakes on loan in league 2, not when we're struggling to stay out of league 2. Every time I've seen him/seen "highlights" of him he's been (in some part, not always solely his fault) at fault for a goal conceded. And his constant instance on trying these raking balls from the back are just as useful as a long hoof up field to no one.

Tarky has still got a little bit of imrpoving to do as a CB as you say, he's a good footballer but its also the little things like getting touch tight to his man, against Sheff weds both Gary medine and Ryan Lowe got a yard on him and it cost us 2 goals. However with Diamond gone we should only really look to loan him out if we get another CB in as we will still need the cover. So if we say bring in Brown on a seasnons loan and bring in (for examples sake) Nathan Clarke on a one year deal to act as cover/ another option at CB then we can send out Tarky on loan which will do him good but aslong as we have the cover in place.

Reece Brown - what's the chance of us negotiating a better wage proportion if he comes for the whole season on the basis that he'll be getting a lot of games in? I'd certainly have him if he was cheap - probably better than Tarky at the moment. I wouldn't be surprised to see Tarky go out on loan at some point next season.

Morais - after the performance away at Carlisle I didn't think we'd see him in a blue shirt again but since Christmas he's been one of our best players and I'd love him to stay. I don't imagine he's a huge earner but could see him attracting interest from other clubs. As others have pointed out, he has a decent work ethic compared to say KMB.

Simpson - silence is deafening. Are the club resigned to the fact that he's on his way? Will be interesting to see if he starts on Saturday.

Lee and Taylor - would love both to stay but its out of our hands. Wouldn't begrudge either of them going to a Championship side but it would be disappointing to see them move to another L1 club. Are we eligible for compo if Lee goes or is he too old now?

Wes - I think (hope) he'll stay. He's been injured enough this season to dissuade other club's taking a gamble and he seemed to be enjoying his time here (though that may have changed as he's had to watch the same crap as the fans!).

If we could keep one of Lee, Taylor and Simpson and either get a decent Kuqi replacement (or get the decent Kuqi back) we have the makings of a good squad.

Edited by bossrocks

I'd be happy to keep Brown. I know there was the thread about wages when it was argued over but I can't see him being on a massive amount. Get a player in on a season long loan and wherever his registration is, he's still one of us. If he's in for the year then I'm not sure what better we could do by signing someone on a free given we'd probably only give them a one year contract anyway.

In addition, if we're happy, the player's happy and United are happy then it has a knock on bonus - when they've got someone else (i.e. a striker) they want to ship out then maybe next time they could be amenable to sending him to BP.

Just read the official site article and guessed there would be a thread on here about it.

Nothing I don't think too many of us will be surprised at in there - though I do wonder where Morais is in that little update?

Lee - glad there is an offer on the table. Hopefully it is financially enough to keep him at a club he appears to be happy & settled at. I wouldn't for one moment begrudge him a move to a Championship club though. Hope to keep him, I really do, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him leave to a higher club.

Taylor - again, I'm glad an offers been made. I hope he signs it. Same for Lee though; he's already said he wants to play in the Championship; and if he's had offers - then it looks like he'll be off. Again, same as Lee, I wish him all the very the best in testing himself at a higher level. Like PD though, because he clearly loves the club; if Championship deals don't work out; I can only see him playing for us in League 1; not a sideways move to other club. Hope he signs; but I don’t think he will.

Wes - this is good news; positive noises and the like. I think the fact we have been supportive through the injury; and up until that; he was appearing to enjoy himself here - playing games and scoring a few important goals, bodes well. I can actually see him signing another 1 year deal with a 2nd year option. PD & GT clearly like & rate him, and he is a cracking player who we have massively missed whilst he's been out. I hope & think he will sign.

Not mentioned in the official article - Morais, Simpson, KMB, Kuqi, Diallo, M'Changama…….is there another one on the way with updates for those I wonder; or is that it?

Of those, I would hope we are looking to keep Morais, Simpson, KMB & M'Changama. My feelings on Kuqi are well known; and Diallo can go for me; as weak as Mellor is at LB; he's still better than Diallo from what I've seen.

I agree with most of the post anyway, but the bit in bold hits the nail on the head for me. Brown has looked good at CB but not great and if we do sign him it will likely be instead of the experience at the back that we badly need.

perhaps PD is going back to his first instinct of when he initially arrived? Namely steady Eddie's out wide like Jones and Lewi, we looked our most compact, threatening and played our best football.

Thinking about it that's a really good point. Over the two seasons we've had with Dickov in charge we've had the odd outstanding game with 2 out-and-out wingers and a creative attacker playing slightly deeper than the lone striker, but in general that formation has led to the awful losing runs at the back end of both seasons and some big defeats (Southampton, Peterborough and MK this season). I'm sure there were other performances similar to it earlier on last season but one that stays in the memory for me is Plymouth away last year. We had Jones on the right, Taylor on the left with Feeney and Tonks up front. The formation was very solid defensively yet we still managed to pass the ball about fairly well and create chances. Has there been any occasions when we've done that this year? Our away record has certainly been worse by not playing this way this season.

Maybe we could do OK next season with just one or two flair players? Having Morais on one flank, Simpson through the middle and an experienced grafter on the other flank (a la Jones) might be just what we need.

but one that stays in the memory for me is Plymouth away last year. We had Jones on the right, Taylor on the left with Feeney and Tonks up front. The formation was very solid defensively yet we still managed to pass the ball about fairly well and create chances.

To be fair Plymouth were absolute garbage.

I liked Clarke in that he was a good honest league one centre half. He didn't set the world on fire but got on with his job and rarely stood out as the one who made a big mistake.

Bury fans credit him with being the catalyst that ended their freefall down the table and helped them reach the heady heights of 12th place.

Latics were getting better results when he was here.

Those who quietly get on with their job, sometimes unnoticed, are often the most important part of any team. In all walks of life.

Another Clarke "inner" would have him back in a shot

Brown is OK - does hoof it a lot - Dimond was on a fair wage but i could still a young premier league player being on similar cash so its interesting to see what happens there.

Taylor is gone me thinks

Lee same as well

Hopefully we can keep Wes -hes a big player for us

Theres a bloke next to me who would love us to be a team of 11 hard working players. I think we will need that next season

Hard to believe that Mr Consistencty Keiron Lee won't have umpteen admirers from clubs we play against , ones with far more to offer.

I imagine they will want to be very confident about Wes's shoulder. We missed his work rate & tackling big time.

Can't see Robbie Simpson staying , hope I am wrong & I don't think Kuqi will be here either , again hope I am wrong.

Reece Brown has been different class at centre half , reads the game so well. He would be a teriffic season long loan & hopefully help to improve Tarks game , he has potential but a lot to learn imo.

The sooner the club gives fans an indication of who will be here , the far more likely they are to buy a season ticket ....yes I know this is a chicken & egg situation.