Guess the (now defunct) ground

• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know Cheltenham Town were talking of moving to a new ground on the Racecourse, did they used to play there?

Keep going Tommy and Cesky, not Cheltenham or Wigan, next clue 'Lots of whipping boys were castigated here'.

Doddys%20Trot.jpg

Edited by BP1960

Give Butchcass a coconut;

From Wikipedia;

Worse was to come with the sale of the Butcher's Arms lease to Belle Vue FC, who renamed themselves Droylsden United. All of which meant that the Bloods were forced out to the nearby Moorside Trotting Stadium. The town wasn't big enough for two clubs, especially with bad feeling between them, and after the local council bought the ground, a merger was negotiated.

Droylsden came home in 1952 to a renovated ground whose pitch had been rotated to its present position, finally eradicating a long-standing drainage problem.

The pic was of Moorside stadium which was also used for speedway I believe pre war.

Knowing my history I bet you are kicking yourself Pete ?

Edited by BP1960

Give Butchcass a coconut;

From Wikipedia;

Worse was to come with the sale of the Butcher's Arms lease to Belle Vue FC, who renamed themselves Droylsden United. All of which meant that the Bloods were forced out to the nearby Moorside Trotting Stadium. The town wasn't big enough for two clubs, especially with bad feeling between them, and after the local council bought the ground, a merger was negotiated.

Droylsden came home in 1952 to a renovated ground whose pitch had been rotated to its present position, finally eradicating a long-standing drainage problem.

The pic was of Moorside stadium which was also used for speedway I believe pre war.

Knowing my history I bet you are kicking yourself Pete ?

I got put off when you said "football" . Didn't equate that with Droylsden!

Just joking - good pic, kept us off the streets and out of the pubs for hours.

Next please!

I got put off when you said "football" . Didn't equate that with Droylsden!

Just joking - good pic, kept us off the streets and out of the pubs for hours.

Next please!

You asked for it, here's another teaser; looking at the pitch you might think its the old baseball ground, but it's not.

viejo+estadio+chamartin.jpg

Edited by BP1960

I agree, particularly that banking, but it's not Tommy.

A cryptic clue, 'it's not a million miles away from Halifax'

viejo+estadio+chamartin.jpg

Those houses in the background look North American rather than British...they look wooden rather than brick/stone.

Edited by LaticsPete