'Oldham look set to make their first signing of the summer by giving Oumare Tounkara his third spell at boundary park. He has agreed a 12 month contract with the option of an extra year yesterday and will finalise the signing in the next few days.'

It's from the rumours site but I think it will probably happen just the same.

Would be happy with this if true.........I think he could be a very effective striker in this division but we will have to play to his strengths and not just hoof it forward and hope!!!!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if it comes off it could be a great signing for us, strong and powerful striker to lead the line. maybe a bit rough around the edges but working with Dickov should hopefully cure that

refusing to get my hopes up until something is made official on the website though, this is the rumor mill after all

if it comes off it could be a great signing for us, strong and powerful striker to lead the line. maybe a bit rough around the edges but working with Dickov should hopefully cure that

Totally agree would be a fantastic signing and i would hope that he'd be our first choice striker , still a little raw but with the right partner beside him i think he could prove to be a big hit at this club

Edited by 4froale

why do we insist on re signing players who havent worked for us in the past. he will clearly never be prolific and i would much prefer the signing of damien reeves over tounkara. I fear he is is just another reid, with a better attitude.

Sorry Phil but thats BS.

You'd prefer an unknown, unproven non- league player over a player we know and has already played in & scored in league 1 games?

.....and who says he failed or didnt work when he was here?

IMO Tonk is exactly the type of signing we should be making. Played correctly - like the Carlisle game - and we've a heck of a player.

Tonk or a complete gamble from non-league?

Thank god you're not in charge of player recruitment!!!!

Obviously Damien reeves isnt the answer either. Reeves should be signed as the third striker, with another proven experienced striker coming in to partner kuqi. Tounkara isnt the answer and if we are dreaming if we think he will get us 10+

Obviously Damien reeves isnt the answer either. Reeves should be signed as the third striker, with another proven experienced striker coming in to partner kuqi. Tounkara isnt the answer and if we are dreaming if we think he will get us 10+

we aren't gonna afford reeves as a third striker AND an experienced striker!!!

we will have (likely) Kuqi, Tonk if true, Smith and Simpson - or one more if PD sees Simpson as an extension of his midfield.

i'd much rather we signed Tonk and used the rest of the budget on getting a decent defence and midfield that CREATES chances.

We could have bloody Messi up front but if he aint got the midfield and team around him to service him he aint gonna score many. People banged on about Kuqi not scoring last seasond YES he did way too much by himself and YES he did miss some sitters - but who else was there to score?

Tonk will get us 10 goals, Kuqi 10-15 and maybe more if the team around him is right, with the midfield and defence chipping i as well.

Tonk is powerful, runs his balls off and does have potential - he is only 21 FFS and if we don't back him he could be yet another good player we let go because 'he won't score us 20 goals'

if all our midfield score 10 each and the strikers score 10+ that would be my target for the players.

All i'l say Phil is who would you rather have on a 2-yr deal, Omar Tounkara or Ben Burgess................

.......but why should Reeves be signed over Tonk?

I dont get your logic?

Tonk has a full season of league football ubder his belt, with us to boot. And another 6 or so at the end of this season. He's been schooled for 3 years at Sunderland; a Premiership club.

No disrespect to Reeves but who is he when conpaired to Tonk? A ( not so young) lad from non league who has some goals to his name?

Why should he be signed and capaulted to 3rd choice over a player who, IMO, should be 1st choice for us were he to be signed....

I just cant fathom what you're on about with this....?

if all our midfield score 10 each and the strikers score 10+ that would be my target for the players.

All i'l say Phil is who would you rather have on a 2-yr deal, Omar Tounkara or Ben Burgess................

Personally neither. Id prefer my second striker after kuqi to be a whippet type, who aint afraid to stick a boot in. someone in the mold of wayne andrews, Tounkara is just another Ben Burgess! Im not hot on whats available, but there must surely be this type of player out there available and on our wage budget.

Tounkara had a full season with us a couple of years back and couldn't score 10 goals then. He's a decent player but for a striker he can't finish!

He was poor at the end of last season. I don't think he'll be good enough.

Tounkara had a full season with us a couple of years back and couldn't score 10 goals then. He's a decent player but for a striker he can't finish!

He was poor at the end of last season. I don't think he'll be good enough.

If he was used properly then he would of. It became clear that he was shattered to everyone but the management team who insisted on continuing to play him. He suffered from burn out and wasn't helped by in a team who couldn't score a goal to save their lives.

I agree, wasn't that impressive when re-signed on loan, but he didn't get played much. Nor to his strengths. Yet when he was paired with Bunn upfront for the first time I think, he was unplayable. He was the main striker and looked like ripping Carlisle's defence a new one each time. Play him to his strengths and rest him when needed, he'll easily get into double goals next season. Play him as front striker, with someone with a bit of pace up with him, like Bunn (not saying Bunn before the Bunn hating mob slaughter me, but someone like him, small with pace but I wouldn't mind if Bunn returned here next season) and we'll see him at his best.

If he was used properly then he would of. It became clear that he was shattered to everyone but the management team who insisted on continuing to play him. He suffered from burn out and wasn't helped by in a team who couldn't score a goal to save their lives.

I agree, wasn't that impressive when re-signed on loan, but he didn't get played much. Nor to his strengths. Yet when he was paired with Bunn upfront for the first time I think, he was unplayable. He was the main striker and looked like ripping Carlisle's defence a new one each time. Play him to his strengths and rest him when needed, he'll easily get into double goals next season. Play him as front striker, with someone with a bit of pace up with him, like Bunn (not saying Bunn before the Bunn hating mob slaughter me, but someone like him, small with pace but I wouldn't mind if Bunn returned here next season) and we'll see him at his best.

That is true he was burnt out at the end of that season but his finishing was still poor throughout the whole season. He should have scored many more than he did and that was down to his poor finishing.

Tounkara would be a great signing if he was able to perform consistently to a level around 80% of his cameo against Carlisle where he was immense. He is still a young, developing player which makes it ridiculous that any shortcomings in his game as of 20-odd months ago are being highlighted. I'd take him over an unproven non-league striker every time. It's also fair to say that he'd meet the running through a wall criteria.

People saying Tounkara can't finish/didn't score enough etc etc. He works his rocks off and would create chances for a decent strike partner simply due to his work rate. Warney didn't score boat loads, but worked his socks off and was loved, what's so different to Tounkara? (Not slating Warne, one of my favorite players I've seen play for Latics)

Warne created a lot of Porter's goals by dragging defenders out of position, and chasing down lost causes, and pressuring defenders etc, so Tounkara's work rate will create chances for others.

Granted Tounkara is missing chances that Warne didn't neccessarily get, but it's encouraging that he's getting in positions to get these chances. If Tonks improves on his decision making, composure and finishing, he'll be devastating in this league. Finishing can be coached, and composure and decision making come with experience, so I wouldn't write him off just yet.

Alongside the right partner he could be a very, very good player at this level.

Ah good - glad i'm not on my own here then.

I'd be busting a gut to bring in Tonk. I would guess he could be within our budget wage wise, and we have the added bonus of him having already been at our club; twice.

Pkay him correctly and reap the benifits.

If he was also brought in on one of those 1 year with a second year options; he could make us a bit as we'd be due a small bit of compo later on....

Tonk + another for me