Leon Clarke

Interesting view that. My recollection of that game was that when we had the ball we battered them and defensively they looked dire ( very iffy keeper but Grounds playing which is slightly worrying) and on the few occasions they had the ball Clarke looked awesome when it came anywhere near him.If we can really afford him, and I'm not sure we can - with the possibility of a fee on top - he could be worth the punt.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's shaky ground to form an opinion good or bad on the odd occasion a player has faced us. As for Clarke, it would be sad if his image was forever tarnished just because he didn't share his gak with Sly.You have to remember how many hangers-on these players have on holiday not wanting to pay for their own gear.

Would people really care he had an attitude if he was scoring goals for us? He could be a lazy, disruptive gob:censored:e but if he scores 15-20 goals - which he is capable of, then i dont care!

I reckon we will be able to create lots of chances next season and him on the end COULD be leathal.

Just my opinion though.

Would people really care he had an attitude if he was scoring goals for us? He could be a lazy, disruptive gob:censored:e but if he scores 15-20 goals - which he is capable of, then i dont care!

I reckon we will be able to create lots of chances next season and him on the end COULD be leathal.

Just my opinion though.

His record at our level is: 20 goals in 34(7) games, works out at virtually a goal every 2 games.

If he brings that record with him, he can be as lazy as he wants!

If he scores 20 goals a season, I am happy to set up his bed, duvet and plump up the pillows just around the penalty spot!

There's nothing cryptic LL!!

Just remember how mental he looked after his two goals at Brentford. Not helped by his head which appears to have been shaped by being whacked a few times with a frying pan. Still, if he comes and scores a few who cares! Id like to see us sign a forward with a bit of pace mind.

Well he won't be coming to BP then, him and Croft were the two I heard about but I have since heard we are currently miles away on his demands and his agent is whoreing him around. At one stage it looked like it could happen, I think if he does want that amount per week the move will be dead in the water. Although come late August if he's not sorted then he will come crawling back.

Shez was interested him in and made an initial enquiry but has baulked at his demands. Wouldn't be surprised to see Crawley go back for him on one of their 'dodgy' deals….

Edited by oafcprozac

Interesting view that. My recollection of that game was that when we had the ball we battered them and defensively they looked dire ( very iffy keeper but Grounds playing which is slightly worrying) and on the few occasions they had the ball Clarke looked awesome when it came anywhere near him.If we can really afford him, and I'm not sure we can - with the possibility of a fee on top - he could be worth the punt.

That's how I remember that game too - their on-loan keeper cost them 2 goals, Trotman walking meant they had to concede midfield and we ran away with it. But - everytime they broke, Clarke looked a real threat (along with a quick black lad, was it Westcarr?).

I also thought he looked lean & trim that game too - he was overweight when we had him on loan, and was overweight at Swindon when he blew his lid at Di Canio, but that game - it looked like Shez, Tommy & temple had got him fit & firing.

That said - end of the season when I bumped into him, he was again, I'd say, maybe 2 stone overweight for a footballer........but his season was over so maybe he's one of those players who binges for a month then battles back to (hopeful) fitness in pre-season?

I'm not so sure his off-field stuff is worth it - especially having read the quote from PD in the Advertiser - but I don't think there's any doubting the lad has that knack of scoring goals.

Well he won't be coming to BP then, him and Croft were the two I heard about but I have since heard we are currently miles away on his demands and his agent is whoreing him around. At one stage it looked like it could happen, I think if he does want that amount per week the move will be dead in the water. Although come late August if he's not sorted then he will come crawling back.

Shez was interested him in and made an initial enquiry but has baulked at his demands. Wouldn't be surprised to see Crawley go back for him on one of their 'dodgy' deals….

at £5K a week we dont stand a chance - but Crawley or even Fleetwood might?

That's how I remember that game too - their on-loan keeper cost them 2 goals, Trotman walking meant they had to concede midfield and we ran away with it. But - everytime they broke, Clarke looked a real threat (along with a quick black lad, was it Westcarr?).

I also thought he looked lean & trim that game too - he was overweight when we had him on loan, and was overweight at Swindon when he blew his lid at Di Canio, but that game - it looked like Shez, Tommy & temple had got him fit & firing.

That said - end of the season when I bumped into him, he was again, I'd say, maybe 2 stone overweight for a footballer........but his season was over so maybe he's one of those players who binges for a month then battles back to (hopeful) fitness in pre-season?

I'm not so sure his off-field stuff is worth it - especially having read the quote from PD in the Advertiser - but I don't think there's any doubting the lad has that knack of scoring goals.

Trotman wasn't sent off for Chesterfield, he was sent-off for Dale. Chesterfield Clarke apart were just :censored:ing dreadful that day…..

Other options are out there and we have a highly rated guy on trial that has just been released from a League One club but he's another 19/20 year old kid. Intriguing though and has an international pedigree.

Highly rated but released from a league 1 club?