176 members have voted

1. 1. Are you in favour of this design?

• Yeah - it looks mint
    • Nah - it's not right

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could be a positive that the Main Stand will get something decent done to it.. As a main stand, it's wank.. If it's something to build from it's a decent start

that post just reminded me of carlisle. dont think it's been brought up as an example like other clubs (fleetwood, chesterfield, wrexham etc) have done, but it's similar to what we could do.

brunton%20park%2024.jpg

thats the main stand (i think) from the new one. not the most attractive but there's a lower standing tier - would be seating for us, a centre of what appears to be in a similar design to our main stand, and then extra seating added next to the upper part. with us that'd be where the portakabin and RRE side of the stand are.

just going off that post, and remembering brunton park, it's comparable. didnt remember carlisle to be that bad but trying to apply it to our BP isnt that good a thought. hope there are plans for the main stand but glad this one (hopefully) will be going up and getting money in.

that post just reminded me of carlisle. dont think it's been brought up as an example like other clubs (fleetwood, chesterfield, wrexham etc) have done, but it's similar to what we could do.

brunton%20park%2024.jpg

thats the main stand (i think) from the new one. not the most attractive but there's a lower standing tier - would be seating for us, a centre of what appears to be in a similar design to our main stand, and then extra seating added next to the upper part. with us that'd be where the portakabin and RRE side of the stand are.

just going off that post, and remembering brunton park, it's comparable. didnt remember carlisle to be that bad but trying to apply it to our BP isnt that good a thought. hope there are plans for the main stand but glad this one (hopefully) will be going up and getting money in.

If we end up with something like that, i'll cry.

I'm not sure you've thought that all the way through.

Well seeing as we have minimal money we could probably invest in some paint and 10 seats for the existing stand.

Presuming that the stand is going to cost around £3-4 million to construct, how much of that is actually our money?

But this is like the 5th attempt at building a stadium, so maybe it is :censored: or Bust, as Failsworth was previously refered to.

Well seeing as we have minimal money we could probably invest in some paint and 10 seats for the existing stand.

Presuming that the stand is going to cost around £3-4 million to construct, how much of that is actually our money?

But this is like the 5th attempt at building a stadium, so maybe it is :censored: or Bust, as Failsworth was previously refered to.

If the purpose of building is to make money, it isn't logical to spend money, "we don't have," on things that don't make money. Like empty seats. What would paint and 10 seats for the existing stand make?

If the purpose of building is to make money, it isn't logical to spend money, "we don't have," on things that don't make money. Like empty seats. What would paint and 10 seats for the existing stand make?

£200 a game, presuming that 10 Adults sat there - £4600 for a league season.

In all seriousness though - i know we have to spend money to make money, and i'm not trying to knock the club for doing so, it just seems abit of a cop out option in my opinion not to build the new stand with facilities such as changing rooms etc - spend that little bit extra now and probably save it in the future as the existing main stand could be replaced with a cheaper stand.

It's a tough call, and personally i would have had it as the main stand - assuming that all the offices are moving over there too, surely it would work out better.

Least i'm not running the football club, eh!

Build the new stand.

Generate £millions from off field activity.

Spend those £millions on the main stand.

Eventually.

I think you maybe overselling how profitable this new stand maybe don't get me wrong it will be a step in the right direction with all the add ons coming into it however the club is losing around £700,000 a year so on that basis for the club to break even thats how much the stand would have to make and thats assuming no extra investment in the product on the pitch.

Hospitality and function rooms will be very useful for all kinds of things I'm sure we could easily have functions of some kind a few times a week at BP, but its not as profitable as some think when you think of the cost of food, drinks the staff, the equipment, the overheads, and the tax mans cut. That applies to all the other sources of income too we are still going to have to pay upkeep on all of this. This if it gets the go - ahead would be a really positive step for the club but don't expect it to jet propell us into the stratosphere just yet. Certainly not where we could redevelop the whole of Boundary park of the back of it anyway.

Ive read through this thread since latics fan put the photos up on facebook, and looking at it from a different point of view, i like latics way of thinking.

What exactly is a main stand and why do you need one?

its taken for granted your main stand is your show piece, consists of your highest capacity, houses your sponsors, changing rooms, shop, ticket office etc, but why do they all have to be in the same building? what would be the problem with spreading it around a little? obviously it makes sense to have your ticket office next to the club shop, but why do the changing rooms need to be in the same building as the ticket office? why does the function room need to be in a stand which holds the largest of any at bp?

i see no reason why we cant have the stand on the plans, and then just incorporate changing facilities into the new main stand at a later date.

i dont really think expense comes into it. its probably more expensive to build a supporters bar than a new changing rooms. its all about what makes more money. and in any case, the little office next to the concourse 2 is made up to be a ticket office/ shop in my opinion, and i would stick my mortgage on the three big offices on the ground floor being used by the club as such an outlet

Edited by philliggi

Ive read through this thread since latics fan put the photos up on facebook, and looking at it from a different point of view, i like latics way of thinking.

What exactly is a main stand and why do you need one?

its taken for granted your main stand is your show piece, consists of your highest capacity, houses your sponsors, changing rooms, shop, ticket office etc, but why do they all have to be in the same building? what would be the problem with spreading it around a little? obviously it makes sense to have your ticket office next to the club shop, but why do the changing rooms need to be in the same building as the ticket office? why does the function room need to be in a stand which holds the largest of any at bp?

i see no reason why we cant have the stand on the plans, and then just incorporate changing facilities into the new main stand at a later date.

i dont really think expense comes into it. its probably more expensive to build a supporters bar than a new changing rooms. its all about what makes more money. and in any case, the little office next to the concourse 2 is made up to be a ticket office/ shop in my opinion, and i would stick my mortgage on the three big offices on the ground floor being used by the club as such an outlet

Very faiir point. Barcelona ticket office and shop isn't even in a stand!

after U turn upon U turn and stagnation upon stagnation many members are now happy to accept 'our place' in the football wilderness forever. I am not one of them, I've never in my life accepted to be second best, it may come to pass on my death that's as far has I ever went but it wouldn't be through accepting it.

Still not impressed.,

This cannot be the final design. Has the designer ever been to BP in the winter. The side panels should come vertically down to the ground, at BP they're there to protect supporters from the elements not to look flashy. And that roof, words fail me! Must have been designed to either allow maximum light into the upper tier or to allow rain to water the plants on the exec boxes veranda,

What about the supporters?

Bugger them they're used to getting wet.

I don't think there will be many dry seats on a wet day.

Madness.

Lets hope they've put more thought into the rest of it.

Absolutely love this stand. It'll be the focal point of the ground without dwarfing the other stands.

Capacity perfectly acceptable, why would we need more than 13000 seats? It's not about ambition or perceived lack of it, it's about keeping running costs down.

We're homely little Oldham and we've spent 3 years out of the last ninety in the top flight. Hats off to everyone involved, it's a victory for level-headed common sense.

Absolutely love this stand. It'll be the focal point of the ground without dwarfing the other stands.

Capacity perfectly acceptable, why would we need more than 13000 seats? It's not about ambition or perceived lack of it, it's about keeping running costs down.

We're homely little Oldham and we've spent 3 years out of the last ninety in the top flight. Hats off to everyone involved, it's a victory for level-headed common sense.

So you are quite happy to watch L1 and L2 football for ever. What's the point of supporting a club with no hope of watching better football.

So you are quite happy to watch L1 and L2 football for ever. What's the point of supporting a club with no hope of watching better football.

just because it isnt a monster 5000 seater stand doesnt mean we lack ambition. or for that matter does it mean it will be the only redevelopment we see in the next 20 years

So by that Logic we should build :censored: all.

Brilliant.

Ha ha well if you want to play that game, yes.

I moved house next year, I wanted a 5 bed detached but settled for a nice three bed semi with room to build. Am I illogical for not bankrupting myself or sensible? I know the answer and the same applies to the club.

£200 a game, presuming that 10 Adults sat there - £4600 for a league season.

In all seriousness though - i know we have to spend money to make money, and i'm not trying to knock the club for doing so, it just seems abit of a cop out option in my opinion not to build the new stand with facilities such as changing rooms etc - spend that little bit extra now and probably save it in the future as the existing main stand could be replaced with a cheaper stand.

It's a tough call, and personally i would have had it as the main stand - assuming that all the offices are moving over there too, surely it would work out better.

Least i'm not running the football club, eh!

It's not as simple as saying 'I'd have it as the main stand' though. I'm sure SC would prefer to do that to, but it costs more money to do that. I don't know why you or anyone else thinks this isnt a obstacle?

I think you maybe overselling how profitable this new stand maybe don't get me wrong it will be a step in the right direction with all the add ons coming into it however the club is losing around £700,000 a year so on that basis for the club to break even thats how much the stand would have to make and thats assuming no extra investment in the product on the pitch.

Hospitality and function rooms will be very useful for all kinds of things I'm sure we could easily have functions of some kind a few times a week at BP, but its not as profitable as some think when you think of the cost of food, drinks the staff, the equipment, the overheads, and the tax mans cut. That applies to all the other sources of income too we are still going to have to pay upkeep on all of this. This if it gets the go - ahead would be a really positive step for the club but don't expect it to jet propell us into the stratosphere just yet. Certainly not where we could redevelop the whole of Boundary park of the back of it anyway.

I think my use of the word "eventually" was the confirmation that I knew the post to be a tad simplistic.

I'm fairly sure the stand they wanted to build per-Credit Crunch was around 6,000 capacity and included shifting all the main stand essentials in to it. Changing rooms, ticketing and the like. Cost around £7m rings a bell.

This development will cost around £3m at a guess. Half that money coming from the council and Football Foundation. The rest, presumably, out of the pockets of TTA or new investors.

So somebody is spending £1.5m of their own money on this. If they reverted to the plans I mentioned above, they'd be spending £5.5m. Yet the returns on investment would be the same.

Can you really justify it?

Now, pinch-me again happens, Latics get popular and need to expand rapidly. You can build up the corners and add 2,000 to capacity together with changing rooms and other facilities. You could probably then get 5,000 in to a new improved main stand. Plus more in to the corners on that side of Boundary Park. A 20,000 capacity is possible on the current site.

But spending silly money now doesn't make sense. Well it wouldn't to me if it was my money.

What's on the table is less than I expected. It's less than I wanted. But it is extraordinarily sensible and gives us a chance, at last, to grow sustainably.

Still not impressed.,

This cannot be the final design. Has the designer ever been to BP in the winter. The side panels should come vertically down to the ground, at BP they're there to protect supporters from the elements not to look flashy. And that roof, words fail me! Must have been designed to either allow maximum light into the upper tier or to allow rain to water the plants on the exec boxes veranda,

What about the supporters?

Bugger them they're used to getting wet.

I don't think there will be many dry seats on a wet day.

Madness.

Lets hope they've put more thought into the rest of it.

They've probably thought about it quite a lot actually. It's kind of their job.

Just because they haven't shown a diagram indicating rain & wind direction at the planning consultation doesn't mean they haven't considered it.

Consider this: The stand does not run the full length of the touchline. So if the stand's gables were to be perfectly squared off and vertical at either end how would those sat up in the back corners of the stand know what our brave boys in blue were doing with their corner kicks?

These aren't the detailed plans, they're a scheme. The club are showing the fans where they are with the scheme to keep us quiet & show us something is being done. They really don't have to, in reality it's got cock all to do with us as long as there are seats and a view of the pitch. If we express our concerns about a lack/excess of conferencing facilities then the club aren't going to listen, because the research will have been done by the club/FWP.

Basically I'm saying this: The club have now got realistic plans for a new stand equipped with money making facilities. I say we stop moaning about the arrangement of the car park flower beds and support them.