any score yet

Not so sure.

Reckon Dickov's made his mind up on his first eleven judging by his selection in our toughest pre-season games, in which Brown doesn't seem to have featured much, so at the moment Byrne seems to be our first-choice right-back. Tarky has the potential to be brilliant but, unless he's come on massively from last season, shouldn't be a first choice yet.

Tarky can only come on massively from last season if he is played.

No point having 3 people competing for RB spot when other areas need improving more. We've got 3 players who can play RB at moment in Bryne, Brown and Winchester if needed to. That's enough to cover for injuries and suspensions in that area for now.

No point having 3 people competing for RB spot when other areas need improving more. We've got 3 players who can play RB at moment in Bryne, Brown and Winchester if needed to. That's enough to cover for injuries and suspensions in that area for now.

Winchester is not in any way competing for a right back spot. Central midfielder of the future.

Winchester is not in any way competing for a right back spot. Central midfielder of the future.

He'd have to improve a hell of a lot IMO! Too slow on the ball and far too lightweight. He needs a loan spell in league two, problem is i dont think we have the squad depth to allow it!

He'd have to improve a hell of a lot IMO! Too slow on the ball and far too lightweight. He needs a loan spell in league two, problem is i dont think we have the squad depth to allow it!

Playing alongside good players in our midfield could help him.

Last season he looked lost alongside Adeyemi. When he played with Furryman he impressed me.

You could say that about any of our younger players, but you wouldn't want them all starting (although I would prefer to see them played than bringing another club's kid in on loan...). In my opinion Tarky is a great prospect and, for the time being, an excellent option for cover, but still has some work to do on his game.

While Bryne is an option at right-back, I though he was brought in to be a Gregan-esque style centre-back. He doesn't seem to get forward at all and while Brown might get forward more, he still hasn't kicked a ball in first-team football yet and so I doubt is the finished article.

I think we look solid at the back, Mvoto seems to relish the role of leader in the CB,s and seems to make more mistakes at the back when feels he can relax a little as the junior partner. I would stay as we are. Thus also breaking the catch 22 situation of Tarky needing and getting vital experience at our level

I don't think we will come up against too many League 1 attacks that we can't handle.

As for the attacking option on the right, the ball to Croft can also come from the MF, Croft who will have the beating of most LB in our division, so much so most teams will double up on him and limit their own attacking options down a wing that we have been very vulnerable on up-to now!

We talk about Kieran Lee's attacking prowess but does anybody know how many assists he had last year?

you cant post anything negative about him.....he was the best player ever dont you know?

the defense we will be stronger without him! byrne will be positioned better but wont run forward half as much wont leave as many gaps and be caught forward

the only thing Lee created was space which we didnt use anyway, he also left space which people failed to notice, or in some cases chose to ignore

Now granted this is from only the one game seen this pre-season (Man Citeh) but IMO I thought Tarky was outstanding. From reports on here from York & Fleetwood, and from this thread on yesterday, he's also been impressive in those games. IMO - he has stepped it up over his perfromances from last season, and it looks like he is part of the 1st choice CB pairing with JYM. He is still learining the game, but; he looks to be learning quickly. He's a big lad, solid & well built. I don't think any ST will bully him in a physical battle. He's also comfortable on the ball and with work, could become a 'ball playing' CB in style.

I guessed Byrne was being brought in for just as much his personality and leadership, as for his playing ability, and also i expected as a RB who can offer CB cover. Thats what he did for Scunthorpe afterall.

I think defensively, we actually look stronger than last term. Both Grounds & Byrne look a lot better defensively than Black/Mellor/Diallo & K Lee. Gong forward, maybe not so much, but against Citeh, they both did get forward - never beating a man for skill or pace, but kept it simple and moved the ball around. But, I'm old school, I want my FB's defensively strong over offering an attacking threat, and IMO they are both that style. We're also bigger than last season, and look less vulnerable to high balls also.

No point in getting another RB in whatsoever. We've Byrne as 1st choice, Brown as obvious back-up. In dire emergencies; Winchester or even Millar could go in there for a few games. Other areas are more important, we're set for RB.

I hope Rui Miguel is going to sign, otherwise it's been a Marc Fernandez situation all over again - why waste valuable game-time on a player who turns out to not be signed up; stopping our own players (Taylor & Smith) from getting minutes under the belt. That and the fact he looked hugely impressive Vs Citeh and would add to our team.

Thats why said if needed to, so if Bryne and Brown are both suspended or injured then he can fill in at RB in an emergency. Should of made it clearer it my post. Also see him as a centre midfielder in future, along with Mellor.

You could say that about any of our younger players, but you wouldn't want them all starting (although I would prefer to see them played than bringing another club's kid in on loan...). In my opinion Tarky is a great prospect and, for the time being, an excellent option for cover, but still has some work to do on his game.

While Bryne is an option at right-back, I though he was brought in to be a Gregan-esque style centre-back. He doesn't seem to get forward at all and while Brown might get forward more, he still hasn't kicked a ball in first-team football yet and so I doubt is the finished article.

Aye, he still has some work to do on his game, the biggest aspect of this is his concentration which will only improve with the more game's he plays.

Problem with your post here is you thought he was brought in to be like Gregan. Perhaps Dickov brought him in as a right-back and to cover for centre-back?

Yes, Bryne doesn't get forward much but firstly he's a defender so he should priortise defending first. Any attacking threat from a defender is a bonus, but a full-back needs to be able to defend better than attacking.