Reserves vs Newcastle

Lost 2-1

Smith hit the post twice... he's either unlucky or it's not going for him atm, he's got to start burying headers when we need him to. The squad are behind him though, judging by his exchange with Byrne on Twitter

According to Matt Chambers a winger scored and looks pretty good. the LW we need?

I rate Smith. I also rated O'Grady highly. I didn't rate Jim Steele but Joe stuck by him and gave him a long run and he turned into a decent lower league striker. I cannot understand we have the Blackburn teenager when we have our own who need time on the pitch.

I rate Smith. I also rated O'Grady highly. I didn't rate Jim Steele but Joe stuck by him and gave him a long run and he turned into a decent lower league striker. I cannot understand we have the Blackburn teenager when we have our own who need time on the pitch.

Sorry to break it to you but he isn't good enough!

Maybe because the Blackburn teenager is a better player in Dickov's opinion.

Slew - 1 goal in 1 game

Smith - 3 goals in 28 games (i can only remember one)

Not proof as lf yet, but i suspect Slew brings more to us...

Sorry to break it to you but he isn't good enough!

Smith proved himself majorly at conference -1 level and there were loads of scouts and managers certain that he could make it at lower league level. We beat a lot of competition to secure him.

I'm hugely disappointed but not necessarily at just the lad but also how we've treated him. It's a massive step up and he's a confidence player. He needs games and if we can't afford to play him then he needs loaning out ASAP. Granted that happened last season but even then the Silkmen needed immediate response from the lad and he soon became a bit-part player.

Due to our limited resource he'll be #1 pick in the stiffs and needs to deliver now he'll get regular appearances. If he scores a couple then it'll build his confidence and hopefully he'll deliver.

His far from a broken flush and has the intelligence and level head not to implode. He has all the qualities to become your typical #9/centre forward but I agree he needs to grow balls amongst the opposing defence but that's confidence.

Smith's started 3 games….

And he scored in one of them. I think might still make it as a pro, he needs game time though; and he isn't going to get that here at the moment. There's a bit of me that would like us to get another striker in, so Smith and Taylor can go out on loan for a period.

Some of his apparent weakness is nothing to do with how long he's on the park. He seems unable to turn his neck to divert the ball in a different direction!

Twice on Monday , once when he won the ball in the air from a clearance, and once when he headed wide just before the end, this was apparent. Turn your head Smithy and the ball may go in a more productive direction!

Who was the winger? Can any posters who attend the stiffs provide their opinion as well as on the other trialists?

I'm hoping PD brings in 1 or 2 this week before MKD game.

Then winger may have been Chris Sutherland, one of the youth team prospects.

The lads 6ft 5 give him game time and he will cause problems. Bewildering how people can write him off with the amount of minutes on the pitch he's had.

But puts himself about as much as a 5ft5" striker would - scratch that, less so.

I want him to kick on - don't get me wrong on that front - if he steps it up and scores goals; it'll be to the benifit of the team obviously - it's just I don't see it in him.

He's had 1 full season & 2 pre-season's with us - plenty of time to work on his game with full-time training. But, the same issues are still there as they were last pre-season. He hasn't come on 1 jot. Yes game time will help - but it's not like he's been sat doing absolutely nothing; he's had 28 appearances for us and another what, 10+ (?) for Maccesfield too - plus all the reserve games to add in also.

His con's are outweighing the pro's - and have done since he arrived. I thought he would seize the opportunity and develop his game; but he hasn't and the same problems are still there. He should be an asset for his size, but at present he isn't. And I don't really see that changing TBH.

.....and for those wondering; for me - his con's are:

The nice word would be soft, but basically the lads a pansy - he should dominate and bang, barge and hold up / hold off; yet the ball doesn't stick / he gets pushed around and he doesn't impact & cause the problems his size & frame mean he should.

He not got a turn of pace - his knee's look like they don't have a full range of movement, and he has a very rigid running style that is slow & awkward.

He misses chances that are sometimes easier to score. He gets into the positions (see his pro's), but then woefully misses. He should have had 2 on Monday night, he should have had lots more last season too. As Pete says in his post above; for a big lad - ironically he actually isn't a very good header of the ball.

If he's going to be used from the bench as an impact sub - he needs to make an impact. He he's done that once; away at Scunthorpe - and that's just not enough.

When he does play, we seem to automatically change the way we play - humping it more than normal up to him. Affecting our tactics in a negative way as the 'hit the big man' creeps in.

Pro's:

He does get into decent positions (from where he misses; see above) - but however he does it, he does seem to get into the right areas.

He seems a likeable lad, and the other players seems to like him. He hasn't kicked up a fuss at all in his time here; nor caused any bother - from the outside looking in; it appears he's a fuss-free player.

I too think we need another striker in - so that Smith can go out on loan to January - Blue Square Prem I'd say - have we still the contacts at Barrow?. - Get games, score goals (hopefully) and come back to then look to force his way into the side for the second half of the season. That way, we've then 6 months to really see if he deserves another deal with us or not. Right now - it's a massive 'not' in answer to that question - but who knows come May eh?

Edited by slystallone

To be fair it must be very difficult To get thrown into a game late on and score with his first touches of the game like on Monday. That is why I personally will only write him of after he has had a run in the team. A run that dickov will never give him.

Edited by welshgaz

To be fair it must h very difficult I get thrown into a game late on and score with his first touches of the game like on Monday. That is why I personally will only write him of after he has had a run in the team. A run that dickov will never give him.

Using Monday's opponents as an example - that's exactly what Ryan Lowe did against us last season - scored their 3rd with his 1st touch a minute or so after coming on.

It's what impact strikers are expected to do......

he could do with a short term loan out to a L2/BSP side. Macc were fighting relegation and he was expected to save them from it, but at the start of a season the pressure will be off. Even for a month, with guarantees he'd start, it would hopefully be worth it.