Matty Smith

The thing that I noticed last night was that we didn't make the ball stick upfront

We have a player in Slew who likes to work the channels and run onto through balls but can't play with his back to goal. We have a player in Simpson who again is at his best when playing in the hole and being aloud to wander abit. For those 2 to work you need to get the ball down and play it through midfield which proved problematic as walsall had 5 across the middle. So we needed the option of hitting the ball from back to front and we currently don't have that. With Kuqi last season and Tounkara the season before we did, and if we are going to get the best out of the likes of Simpson, Montana, and Croft this season we need to have that option.

People have talked all summer about needing a poacher upfront I don't think we do in the system we play we are better off with a target man who can play with his back to goal and can bring others into play, Matty Smith isn't the answer I'm afraid He can win the ball in the air due to his height but I can't see him bringing it down and bringing others into play and his lack of mobility is also a problem. I think their are better target men out there who are available and we should be searching for them.

I agree with most of what you have said but would ask you on what basis do you say that Smith can't do the job you want? He has made 3 isolated starts..........and a hatful of point chasing 5 and 10 minutes appearances.......the latter is a lot of pressure on young shoulders.

That's how desperate we are to try something different!

In all seriousness, we should give him a go. Him holding up the ball for Slew to run on to, with Simpson playing just behind (despite his goal last night, I'd drop M'Changama, I'm afraid) the front two. Could work...

Going off the last 2 games, M'Changama has been one of our best players. How does dropping him to shoehorn in under-performing players work?

I agree with most of what you have said but would ask you on what basis do you say that Smith can't do the job you want? He has made 3 isolated starts..........and a hatful of point chasing 5 and 10 minutes appearances.......the latter is a lot of pressure on young shoulders.

Going off what I've seen maybe fairly limited but in total he made 3 starts but made a further 25 appearances from the bench some have been for about 5 mins some have been longer. I have said he can make an impact from the bench to come on and put himself about abit when we are chasing the game and we need to sling it in the box, their is I think a role for him here.

However if he can't make an impact against a defence that’s already been playing for over an hour during the game then he doesn't yet deserve a start yet. So for now he should be on the bench if he starts making an impression from there then we can think about starting him.

• 8 months later...

I was

why?

We all know he looked a clumsy clown when he first come.

I was looking for something else.. found that and thought it was interesting to see what people thought a while ago. It isn't a dig at anyone.

If you don't want to read it - don't.

Edited by pukka

I was

I was looking for something else.. found that and thought it was interesting to see what people thought a while ago. It isn't a dig at anyone.

If you don't want to read it - don't.

But it shows up in New Content so we just assume its a new topic.

It tells you who started the thread and when underneath the title.

Fair enough.

You lot are worse than referees for your inconsistency, :shakeit: :shakeit: :shakeit:

I had a thread locked a few weeks ago because it was a year or so old and I had commented on it.