Giving youth a chance on Saturday?

One of things that concerns me and seemingly others too is our supposed lack of depth. Now I know most of the bench are very young and inexperienced at the moment but would we really be going that far wrong chucking a few of them in on Saturday?

Walsall seems similar to last year at Yeovil, a dire performance with the promise of impending doom! One of the best decisions that Dickov has made at the club was to take out Smith, Morais and Lund from the starting lineup and chuck in Winchester, Mellor and Parker. It reinvigorated the team and offered hope that our squad wasn't that bad, surely Saturday is a great opportunity to do this again?

I look at the bench and think that none of the outfield players have really had a run in the side to prove themselves. This may be with good reason as Dickov doesn't believe they are good enough and are there to simply make up the numbers, but by giving them a chance on Saturday we would give ourselves the opportunity to realise that the squad isn't good enough and that reinforcements are needed to keep ourselves competitive in this league.

From the reaction to Tuesday's game we haven't got a lot to lose by doing this, in fact we might also have a lot to gain.

Hypothetically, who would be the 3 players that you would take out of the starting XI and who would you replace them with?

if we find ourselves in a worse position after 5 or so more games then yes, players like Winchester, Millar, Hughes, Smith will only get so much experience palying in the reserves. but win on saturday and we'll be looking in a better position

Fair point 3 games probably is too early to judge, I suppose the difference for me between this season and other seasons is that the transfer window closes much earlier than usual. If the likes of Winchester, Millar, Hughes and Smith aren't good enough 5 games later then we are relying on loans to get us out of trouble. Our recent record with loans doesn't fill me with confidence. Any meaningful additions to the squad should be made in the transfer window.

A win on Saturday would be great in the short term and put things in a much better light but, as Wes' injury proves, sooner or later we are going to have to rely on our squad. I'd rather do that with them having some experience under their belts.

Edited by the_mighty_bosh

win on Saturday and thats 4 points from the first 2 homes matches and unbeaten in the league at Boundary Park

and our only game and away loss was against one of the promotion contenders who nobody expected to beat

this board may be very different if we can get a good 3 points from Stevenage

the age of the this team is one of the youngest in the league....how young do we want to go?

I think experience is needed more than anything at the moment

Edited by palmer1

I agree and if we can afford to bring in more experience that is definitely the way to go, I just get the feeling that we'll be having to work with what we've got.

Speaking of which can this guy play centre-back?

http://www.bbc.co.uk...otball/19354137

(wow, 1,000th post!)

Edited by the_mighty_bosh

win on Saturday and thats 4 points from the first 2 homes matches and unbeaten in the league at Boundary Park

and our only game and away loss was against one of the promotion contenders who nobody expected to beat

the age of the this team is one of the youngest in the league....how young do we want to go?

Agree 100% which is why sat is huge as anything less than 3pts would leave us at most 2pts from 9pts when 6pts is very much within reach

It could be happiness or suicidal on here come 5pm Saturday evening this hope its happiness

What I dont think anyone on here is disputing however is that we are short in too many areas regardless of the budget we are on and fresh faces are needed especailly ones with experience to help the youngsters

I agree and if we can afford to bring in more experience that is definitely the way to go, I just get the feeling that we'll be having to work with what we've got.

Speaking of which can this guy play centre-back?

http://www.bbc.co.uk...otball/19354137

(wow, 1,000th post!)

Thats got to be a 1st eleven that Di Canio had a bust up with now

Thought Caddis was older than that dont know an awful lot about him though

This +1, we haven't set the world alight but it's too early. I think we all know we need a CB and striker(Mchangma as the cover in mf, though he isn't up weslowski's level I can't see someone good signing to sit on our bench) and we'll probably be ok

Cisak for Gordon Lawton

Furman for Broady

Croft for Quarmby.

On the same vein:

I think the next game we sould play a different formation, you cannot beat a bit of enthusiasm in a side, it might be infectious

SO I would not limit it to just 3 changes I'd go for

GK Quarmby

RB Quarmby

CB Qaurmby

CB Quarmby

LB Quarmby

LW Qaurmby

CM Quarmby

CM Quarmby

RW Quarmby

ST Quarmby

ST Quarmby

Sub Quarmby

Sub Quarmby

Sub Quarmby

Sub Quarmby

Sub Quarmby

GK coach Quarmby

DF coach Quarmby

AT Coach Quarmby

HT Team Talk Definitely Quarmby

HT Tea Quarmby I am sure its something they put in it

Commentary Mike L and Quarmby (sorry Roy!)

HT entertainment Jenny, quamrby hasn;t got all the talent.... and O4U might boycot if its just Quarmby

On the same vein:

I think the next game we sould play a different formation, you cannot beat a bit of enthusiasm in a side, it might be infectious

GK Quarmby

RB Quarmby

CB Qaurmby

CB Quarmby

LB Quarmby

LW Qaurmby

CM Quarmby

CM Quarmby

RW Quarmby

ST Quarmby

ST Quarmby

Sub Quarmby

Sub Quarmby

Sub Quarmby

Sub Quarmby

Sub Quarmby

GK coach Quarmby

DF coach Quarmby

AT Coach Quarmby

HT entertainment Jenny, quamrby hasn;t got all the talent.... and O4U might boycot if its just Quarmby

This reminds me of that scene in Being John Malkovich.

This +1, we haven't set the world alight but it's too early. I think we all know we need a CB and striker(Mchangma as the cover in mf, though he isn't up weslowski's level I can't see someone good signing to sit on our bench) and we'll probably be ok

Agree with everything you have said.

Desperately need experience IMO too not sure why we want to throw even more youth into this team.

If they're out may not be the end of world?

Cisak

Brown

JYM

Byrne

Grounds

Croft

M'Changama

Furman

Mantono

Simpson

Smith

I personally think that young Smithy must've been found in bed with Mrs Dickov, considering how he gets constantly overlooked. It says on the official site that he played for the reserves yesterday against Burnley but, despite not scoring, was 1 of the 3 stand out performers. Will that earn him a starting spot if Slew fails to recovery from his knock? I doubt it very much...

Edited by Break The Silence

On the same vein:

GK Quarmby

RB Quarmby

CB Qaurmby

CB Quarmby

LB Quarmby

LW Qaurmby

CM Quarmby

CM Quarmby

RW Quarmby

ST Quarmby

ST Quarmby

Sub Quarmby

Sub Quarmby

Sub Quarmby

Sub Quarmby

Sub Quarmby

GK coach Quarmby

DF coach Quarmby

AT Coach Quarmby

I see young Billy has had his kit sponsored in the programme. Talking of which, who proof reads it and does the research? Full of errors again...

:censored:e idea. Plenty of time to give youth a chance later.

Indeed.

So in a side that many are saying lacks experience (and I'm not disagreeing with that either by the way), the way to solve that is to bring in more players with no experience whatsoever?

I'm one of the one's who can't get my head around how bringing in Connor Brown for Tarkowski and moving Byrne into an unfavoured role makes us stronger. Nothing against Brown here, but he hasn't played a single league game yet. Tarky is being bashed for mistakes* that are being put down to his youth & inexperience, and the solution is to swap in a player who has zilch experience?? Hmmm.

.* and for the record, I've seen only one mistake from him, and that one was a joint responsibility along with Cisak.

Edited by slystallone