My thoughts on Chesterfield Match

Well this is a local fixture for me only 20 mins away so I dashed down after work. It started off so low key with the atmosphere dead and the players seemingly none too bothered. The game was played at a snails pace making it easy for the defenders to stay on top and so was all very scrappy. We got the goal from nothing really though it was a cracking cross straight from Croft straight to Smiths head and he finished it easily. At this stage Smith and Mvoto were the only ones to stand out with Smith winning every header and some of them actually going to our players and setting up passages of play. He played well. Simpson was poor, playing with his back to goal constantly, and often losing it leaving Smith chasing around and looking isolated. After the goal nothing much changed, very little quality, everything pumped long to Smith, a flick on here and there a Chesterfield player gets the ball makes a bad pass and so we hit it long again.etc etc.

Second half same thing until we decide to give the opposition a goal as seems to be the norm these days. Not doing much heres a dodgy back header straight to Whitaker 1-1. They get their tails up and start pressing more and more without being fantastic our shape seems to disappear and so does our defense and central midfielders. Whitaker was running the show and how we miss a player like that, direct, pacy, creative. Time and time again they played around us, they upped a gear and we didnt. Cliff got done for pace (we'll be saying that alot this season) and *cough* shoulder barged their player over. A stone wall penalty. Fantastic save diving to his right, but the players didnt seem to wake up and the barrage continued as we had afew lucky let offs through bad finishing. The introduction of the youngsters hughes, mellor, millar seemed to help us. Less long ball, more energy. That said we still created little other than long rangers, one crashed off the bar from 25 yards which was a great effort, Croft had a good chance and Mellor drifted one wide, but in truth we didnt do too much and ended up getting what we deserved although Smith didnt deserve his own goal at the end, I havent been keen on him but fair play I thought he did as much as he could do and deserves a chance.

In concluding I must admit I'm really worried about us this season, yeah its a tinpot cup but this wasnt far off a full team, against a team in L2 that hasnt won a game and got no manager. I watch us and I don't even see a pattern of play or a style I dont see what we are trying to do when we have the ball. We have 2 wingers but we dont get the ball wide. Time and time again, we hit the ball long but we usually only have one player up top. There was a distinct lack of mobility, no one running or trying to find space. Croft was often just marked out the game while he stood there hoping, and with nothing in the centre of midfield we lacked options and width. Too many players are lightweight and easily knocked off the ball, theres too much indecision and we dont break as a team.

I could go on but it all seems abit pointless. All you can do really with this squad and manager is hope for the best and hope we stay up.

Well this is a local fixture for me only 20 mins away so I dashed down after work. It started off so low key with the atmosphere dead and the players seemingly none too bothered. The game was played at a snails pace making it easy for the defenders to stay on top and so was all very scrappy. We got the goal from nothing really though it was a cracking cross straight from Croft straight to Smiths head and he finished it easily. At this stage Smith and Mvoto were the only ones to stand out with Smith winning every header and some of them actually going to our players and setting up passages of play. He played well. Simpson was poor, playing with his back to goal constantly, and often losing it leaving Smith chasing around and looking isolated. After the goal nothing much changed, very little quality, everything pumped long to Smith, a flick on here and there a Chesterfield player gets the ball makes a bad pass and so we hit it long again.etc etc.

Second half same thing until we decide to give the opposition a goal as seems to be the norm these days. Not doing much heres a dodgy back header straight to Whitaker 1-1. They get their tails up and start pressing more and more without being fantastic our shape seems to disappear and so does our defense and central midfielders. Whitaker was running the show and how we miss a player like that, direct, pacy, creative. Time and time again they played around us, they upped a gear and we didnt. Cliff got done for pace (we'll be saying that alot this season) and *cough* shoulder barged their player over. A stone wall penalty. Fantastic save diving to his right, but the players didnt seem to wake up and the barrage continued as we had afew lucky let offs through bad finishing. The introduction of the youngsters hughes, mellor, millar seemed to help us. Less long ball, more energy. That said we still created little other than long rangers, one crashed off the bar from 25 yards which was a great effort, Croft had a good chance and Mellor drifted one wide, but in truth we didnt do too much and ended up getting what we deserved although Smith didnt deserve his own goal at the end, I havent been keen on him but fair play I thought he did as much as he could do and deserves a chance.

In concluding I must admit I'm really worried about us this season, yeah its a tinpot cup but this wasnt far off a full team, against a team in L2 that hasnt won a game and got no manager. I watch us and I don't even see a pattern of play or a style I dont see what we are trying to do when we have the ball. We have 2 wingers but we dont get the ball wide. Time and time again, we hit the ball long but we usually only have one player up top. There was a distinct lack of mobility, no one running or trying to find space. Croft was often just marked out the game while he stood there hoping, and with nothing in the centre of midfield we lacked options and width. Too many players are lightweight and easily knocked off the ball, theres too much indecision and we dont break as a team.

I could go on but it all seems abit pointless. All you can do really with this squad and manager is hope for the best and hope we stay up.

A feature of PDs reign I'm afraid.

A good review, cheers. The worrying thing for me is that we appear to be making the same mistakes as last season and don't seem to be making any progress.

A paper thin squad containing numerous youngsters will struggle to cope this season, as we are already seeing when injuries and suspensions kick in.

The players and coaching staff need to wise up quickly and learn from repeated mistakes.

Danny Whittaker????? the Danny Whitaker that played for us??????

Direct????

Pacey????

creative????

Danny Whittaker?????

Christ, I have heard it all now! back to bed i think!

Good report but I have to disagree with the comment 'this wasn't far off a full team'...Furman, Wesolowski, Brown, Slew would all have started if available. And it is accepted that we simply do not have the quality in depth within the squad to cope when key players are missing.

What is more disconcerting is the form of Simpson and the lack of leaders out on the pitch - heads drop as soon as we concede and we cannot seem to recover.

I sense a loan or two on the horizon.

With the state of our squad he would be a good squad player for us. Much better that Changy.

He's an attacking central midfielder - a species PD does not appear to recognise.

By this I mean a player actually running forwards with the ball and having a crack at goal, (Redfearn, Whitaker), Simpson is not in this category as he is (or should be) IMO a striker/link man.

Edited by BP1960

He's an attacking central midfielder - a species PD does not appear to recognise.

By this I mean a player actually running forwards with the ball and having a crack at goal, (Redfearn, Whitaker), Simpson is not in this category as he is (or should be) IMO a striker/link man.

Exactly Furman and Wes to me are similar types, they are ball winners, there to get challenges in and win the ball back. Much more defensive minded than attacking minded, its not often either of them receive the ball and run straight at goal and have a crack, or deliver a telling through ball or pass to set up a shot. The lack of creativity then puts more pressure on the wings to set up the strikers. It would be great to have an attacking creative midfielder in there to give us an extra dimension. particularly when (based on yesterdays performance) neither of our wingers could actually beat their man.

I feel that Furman and Wes complement each other well actually and are the only central midfield partnership that we have that can actually dictate a game and its tempo - winning the ball back and giving it to the more creative players - when we were doing well vs sheffield wednesday they were dominating the midfield. It is a shame that Simpson is off form and Wes is out as I think those 3 would usually form a very good trio in the centre which could keep hold of the ball and get it Croft and Montano.

Sadly I dont think we have a plan b at all apart from lump it forward to the striker whether that be Slew or Smith and whenever the Wes and Furman partnership is broken up it is obvious that we cant keep hold of the ball in the middle or break up the play.

Good report but I have to disagree with the comment 'this wasn't far off a full team'...Furman, Wesolowski, Brown, Slew would all have started if available. And it is accepted that we simply do not have the quality in depth within the squad to cope when key players are missing.

What is more disconcerting is the form of Simpson and the lack of leaders out on the pitch - heads drop as soon as we concede and we cannot seem to recover.

I hope not, make him work with for now with what he's got. Even in this small squad there are options. Mellor has qualities in CM. Young Hughes looks good out wide and Wesolowski will probably be back by the end of the month. Others like Simpson need a royal kick up the arse. Why bring in another kid from elsewhere if we're not prepared to give our kids a go, who are probably more experienced in terms of first team football?

If we're in trouble in October then yes, maybe a loanee or two but no more kids we need experience.

I hope not, make him work with for now with what he's got. Even in this small squad there are options. Mellor has qualities in CM. Young Hughes looks good out wide and Wesolowski will probably be back by the end of the month. Others like Simpson need a royal kick up the arse. Why bring in another kid from elsewhere if we're not prepared to give our kids a go, who are probably more experienced in terms of first team football?

If we're in trouble in October then yes, maybe a loanee or two but no more kids we need experience.

But lets be honest here. We can't (or won't - I'd go with can't) pay the wages for experience, so if we do dip into the loan market, it will surely be the inevitable youngster? As you say, what's the point - might as well play Dan Taylor, Millar, Hughes, Mellor & Winchester in that case

Slew should not be first choice , based on performances so far and attitude

Edited by stevesidg