Out of Contract Players

I've never quite understood why we can't afford the wages for an out of contract player. technically they are unemployed...surely any offer is better than none.

exactly I can understand if it's a case of a player leaving a club at the end of the season and looking for the best deal over the summer period then it makes sense if we can't afford them but if no-one wants them come this time of year then theoretically they should take what they can get. It's supply and demand

Edited by Tommy_Fent

But clearly they ain't thinking like that or we'd be seeing bigger names signing up left, right and centre (if not for us then for other clubs).

I suspect they have either unrealistic expectations (nobody likes seeing their career take a downward turn and when the salary drops with it they may just bury their heads in the sand and hope that something better will come along), or they have agents telling them to hold out for a better offer.

Just because a professional footballer is not making a wage as a professional footballer doesn't mean to say we can afford him. If Sky pay someone the equivalent of £3500 a week that is easily beyond what we can afford. If Michael Owen can make £3000 a week doing corporate gigs, golf days, after dinner speaking etc. (which is probably his going rate for one). Then why work longer hours for someone else to pay you less to play football.

Plus, I don't know what the rules are for foreign clubs that can afford to pay the likes of Hargreaves and Owen the wages they are accustomed to getting I think they can still sign for them if they are unemployed.

Obviously those are extreme examples but quite a few out of contract players will either be on trial at clubs or training with them. Some will be making very good money doing other things and some less decent money. The rest will be hunting for clubs to take them on trial.

Just because a professional footballer is not making a wage as a professional footballer doesn't mean to say we can afford him. If Sky pay someone the equivalent of £3500 a week that is easily beyond what we can afford. If Michael Owen can make £3000 a week doing corporate gigs, golf days, after dinner speaking etc. (which is probably his going rate for one). Then why work longer hours for someone else to pay you less to play football.

Plus, I don't know what the rules are for foreign clubs that can afford to pay the likes of Hargreaves and Owen the wages they are accustomed to getting I think they can still sign for them if they are unemployed.

Obviously those are extreme examples but quite a few out of contract players will either be on trial at clubs or training with them. Some will be making very good money doing other things and some less decent money. The rest will be hunting for clubs to take them on trial.

That's ok for well known players, but what about the ex Championship players who nobody knows. They may have been on 5-10k pw. Surely they should be intersted if only to drop down, show what they can do and move up again.

Our defence is woefully short. Most of the season it will be any 4 from 4, or any 4 from 3. It's no use taking kids from the prem, on loan because their club will expect them to play every week.

I must admit, I'm a bit worried now that our squad is painfully thin and nothing is being done to strengthen! Plenty of players out there and I thought we may be waiting for some of them.................... its just not happening!

Apart from being in talks with Baxter over a contract. And currently looking at another player who's on trial atm.

It seems like the likes of Darren Anderton, who happily carried on in the lower leagues for presumably a very small percentage of what he used to earn, are the exception. It feels as if the likes of Heskey and until recently Owen would rather retire than work their way down the ladder.

I do wonder when the love of playing football above all else disappears from a professional's mindset, but guess this happens quite early in their careers.

Just reading The Secret Footballer's book at the moment. Danny Murphy is the strong favourite as to who it is in my opinion. It's quite insightful about players wages but the specific question above hasn't been covered yet.

I must admit, I'm a bit worried now that our squad is painfully thin and nothing is being done to strengthen! Plenty of players out there and I thought we may be waiting for some of them.................... its just not happening!

Hang on, we have had "Eddie Nelson" on trial, we are on record as to tryingf to sort Jose Baxter, just because nothing has changed does not mean that nothing is being done

Its got to be right for Oldham and the player not just sign anyone up to make up the numbers, I am sure you would agree with that.

Dear Simon

Please see my shopping list below

Thanks

Paul

Garen Tchonanian <<<< Because he looks like Lionel Messi

Peter Gilbert <<<<<< I like the name Gilbert because of Inbetweeners

Michael Boateng <<<< George Boateng and Jerome Boeteng are great players so therefore Michael must be

Ben Parker <<<< Kiegan and Josh were :censored: so this has to be 3rd time lucky

Gavan Holohan <<<< Sounds like Wes Hoolahan and he's good

George Foster-Vigors <<<<< What a name !!

Dear Simon

Please see my shopping list below

Thanks

Paul

Garen Tchonanian <<<< Because he looks like Lionel Messi

Peter Gilbert <<<<<< I like the name Gilbert because of Inbetweeners

Michael Boateng <<<< George Boateng and Jerome Boeteng are great players so therefore Michael must be

Ben Parker <<<< Kiegan and Josh were :censored: so this has to be 3rd time lucky

Gavan Holohan <<<< Sounds like Wes Hoolahan and he's good

George Foster-Vigors <<<<< What a name !!

Sorry , Josh was third time....Derrick "Goals" Parker also fell into the same category !!