Goodbye Paul

1 win in 8 competitive fixtures, ditched out of 2 cups in the 1st round whatever floats your boat.

Out of interest was his 'judge me after 10 games' quote based on league or competitive fixtures?

It doesn't matter, we've got the previous 113 competitive to form an opinion (we've won 33). As i've stated earlier we've eight games until the end of October, that's where we should gain a better indication of where we are heading.

However, a pathetic 28 league wins in 98 league games under Dickov points to an unhappy outcome….

28 league wins despite 48 incoming transfers (not including multiple deals for the same player)

We do look a threat finally, but only after going behind, I can't remember the last league game we looked a threat from the off. In 98 League games I can only think of one game where we have given everything for 90 minutes and truly dominated the opposition from start to finish. That game? The 1-0 over Huddersfield in November 2010…other games we have won well but had iffy and sloppy spells within that game including good wins against Hartlepool and Chesterfield.

Edited by oafcprozac

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am i correct in thinking it's been 7 wins in 33 this year?

The year before it was a run of 2 in 22 or thereabouts?

He's actually been very fortunate and the chair has been very patient compared with others.

i repeat, i like pd but the clock is ticking very loudly. His replacement (for me at least) has just joined Coventry, so if another figure is/becomes available we might be wise to make a move sooner rather than later.

This year it is 7 wins in 34 competitive games.

Last poor run was 8 wins in 36 January - September 2011 (Although Dismiss January 2011 and it is 5 wins in 28)

Overall 33 wins in 113 Competitive matches during Dickov's tenure….

Edited by oafcprozac

It doesn't matter, we've got the previous 113 competitive to form an opinion (we've won 33). As i've stated earlier we've eight games until the end of October, that's where we should gain a better indication of where we are heading.

However, a pathetic 28 league wins in 98 league games under Dickov points to an unhappy outcome….

28 league wins despite 48 incoming transfers (not including multiple deals for the same player)

We do look a threat finally, but only after going behind, I can't remember the last league game we looked a threat from the off. In 98 League games I can only think of one game where we have given everything for 90 minutes and truly dominated the opposition from start to finish. That game? The 1-0 over Huddersfield in November 2010…other games we have won well but had iffy and sloppy spells within that game including good wins against Hartlepool and Chesterfield.

And that was mostly due to Filipe Morais playing like a young Pele for 90 minutes. One of the best individual performances i've seen from a Latics player in a long long time...

Guest Scratch2000uk

Even the MEN can't get it right. Who checks this stuff?

Oldham are still looking for their first victory of the season after a disappointing draw with Scunthorpe United.

Oldham are still looking for their first home victory of the season after a disappointing draw with Scunthorpe United.

aside from signing the 3 loanees up the key is to get a central midfielder over the fecking halfway line and in the god damn box!!!!!

we will continue to play as :censored: as we have in both halves if we continue with 2 holders - Furman spends all game tipp tappying back to the centre halves; no confidence at all to bring a high ball down on his chest, carry the ball forward and play a through ball - actually its probably because he hasn't the ability to do it.

Wes in as i think he is a better worker and all-round player than Furman, and either Furman out Baxter in, or Furman EXPLICITLY becomes an ATTACKING midfielder.

Now just watched PD LP post match - 'we work a lot on keeping our distances right' - it's no wonder as soon as a tackle is made both Wes and Furman retreat to the halfway line again to mark space rather than mark a man or bust a gut to get forward and help the rest of the attacking players to score.

If i was DF or JW if PD goes off on one because you didn't 'keep shape' because you decided, you know, just once in a while to get forward and attack; you know, as midfielders should do - i'd tell him where he can stick it - your job is a midfielder to both defend and attack!!

FOR GOD SAKE MIDFIELD DO IT!!!!!

He probably won't risk discarding his beloved 2 holding midfielders in an away game, the problem is at home where the opposition take the initiative - until he is inevitably forced to change things.

This year it is 7 wins in 34 competitive games.

Last poor run was 8 wins in 36 January - September 2011 (Although Dismiss January 2011 and it is 5 wins in 28)

Overall 33 wins in 113 Competitive matches during Dickov's tenure….

you've got to say, it's not good. i think everyone is and has been very patient, but it isn't working. the stats speak for themselves. nobody has to tell him to his face at the forum.

has any manager ever been given such a long run without being severly battered by fans. i think we've been better than any other fans in the same situation, but patience is wearing very thin. this isn't about happy clappers or doom and gloom. it's all facts and stats, and they all stack up against him. for that, i'm actually quite sad. i like him, but we can't keep ignoring the facts.

you've got to say, it's not good. i think everyone is and has been very patient, but it isn't working. the stats speak for themselves. nobody has to tell him to his face at the forum.

has any manager ever been given such a long run without being severly battered by fans. i think we've been better than any other fans in the same situation, but patience is wearing very thin. this isn't about happy clappers or doom and gloom. it's all facts and stats, and they all stack up against him. for that, i'm actually quite sad. i like him, but we can't keep ignoring the facts.

It's been good enough to keep us in the division.

Suppose it comes back to, taking into account resources, etc, where people think the club should be.

Based on gates alone, we should be in the bottom quarter of the Third division.

But we don't base results on the gates, do we?

Dickov, himself, has admitted that we have underachieved greatly. I don't see how anyone can find his record acceptable.

it's even harder to see where we are when the bin dippers are top of the pile. If we can keep Derbyshire and Baxter all season though I can see us having a respectable season. Big if mind.

i hope they won't.

To repeat Stevie_J - why?

Let's not pretend this club is a big, chirpy love-in.

Dickov, whilst I'm still behind him - just - has done nothing to deserve fans' patience. The statistics are woeful. Where has this new mentality come from? Penney didn't get this. Nor did Sheridan, and he had us top-half.

Probably because of how bad we were under Penny. Dire football and acceptance that we were a small team with no money who should just let the big teams walk over us.

Dickov for his faults has got us some decent wins and got us competitive against the better teams in the division on our day, wins over Hudds and Sheff united in the last few seasons. He’s also made some decent signings.

for all his positivity thought he doesn’t seem to motivate players and we seems a soft side when i was a kid under the likes of Royle if we took the lead we usually won the game under PD a goal against usually means we are probably at best going to get a draw.

I think we wait till xmas and see where we are if we are in the bottom 4 its probably time to part ways, if we are mid table and looking like we are improving then we should keep him.

I think we wait till xmas and see where we are if we are in the bottom 4 its probably time to part ways, if we are mid table and looking like we are improving then we should keep him.

All he has to do is keep us out the bottom 4? I'm struggling to understand this new found patience and acceptance..

We've improved in fits and starts before, only to end up in the same sorry position. When do you say enough's enough and break the cycle.

Awesome game, and Morais was simply outstanding. Tonk was unplayable aso.

But, IIRC (and i may not!) didn't we boss the game Vs Notts County, the one where Furman scored the goal that got voted Mitre Goal of the Year?? If we didn't boss it, it's certainly the game that sticks in my mind where PD's high press / high tempo and one & two touch football was shown the most??

Awesome game, and Morais was simply outstanding. Tonk was unplayable aso.

But, IIRC (and i may not!) didn't we boss the game Vs Notts County, the one where Furman scored the goal that got voted Mitre Goal of the Year?? If we didn't boss it, it's certainly the game that sticks in my mind where PD's high press / high tempo and one & two touch football was shown the most??

Brentford away that season, although we did go a goal down.

it's even harder to see where we are when the bin dippers are top of the pile. If we can keep Derbyshire and Baxter all season though I can see us having a respectable season. Big if mind.

I'm not expecting promotion. Maybe scrape the playoffs..... However, I'd like to bet we'll finish above the trannies. They wont be up there much longer.....