Dickov In or Out

Sack or Keep  

243 members have voted

1. 1. Sack or Keep

I think with these old fashioned style managers like Moore and Blackwell is that they're very good at motivating a team. I remember pre-game against Bradford where we had to win to stay up and hearing Moore talk made me confident that we wouldn't lose the game.

Penney on the other hand was more small time, his number one philosophy was not to lose. I believe this was more down to the fact that he signed some awful players like Joe Colbeck and Keigan Parker.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be fair to Penney he only became ultra defensive after we started shipping goals for fun whilst not being able to score at the other end. He tried to cut out the goals against so that we stopped the loses, steadied the ship and then work on winning games. Sadly our defence was like a sieve and we played ultra defensive but couldn't keep a clean sheet.

Rome wasn't built in a day and it was the right thing to do, we couldn't go "you score 3 we'll score 4" as we couldn't even score 1 at the time. Either through the personnel, him, voodoo, Quarmby or whatever we couldn't stop conceding goals and we played more and more defensive with even worse results and it ultimately cost him his job.

To be fair to Penney he only became ultra defensive after we started shipping goals for fun whilst not being able to score at the other end. He tried to cut out the goals against so that we stopped the loses, steadied the ship and then work on winning games. Sadly our defence was like a sieve and we played ultra defensive but couldn't keep a clean sheet.

Rome wasn't built in a day and it was the right thing to do, we couldn't go "you score 3 we'll score 4" as we couldn't even score 1 at the time. Either through the personnel, him, voodoo, Quarmby or whatever we couldn't stop conceding goals and we played more and more defensive with even worse results and it ultimately cost him his job.

Robbie Savage touting Dickov for the Blackburn job on Twitter.

Imagine getting compensation for him?

Edited by HarryBosch

Robbie Savage touting Dickov for the Blackburn job on Twitter.

Imagine getting compensation for him?

I don't get it myself - so far in his fledgling managerial career he has achieved diddly squat!

Yes, attracting players to your club, but has yet to show he knows how to motivate or utilise them effectively.

I wonder how many Dickov in'ers would change their vote tonight?

as a result of today's match.. i think i would!

Coventry were as poor as we were, but we had the 'better' chances. The players we've got should be able to score goals against a team that played like Coventry. He's been saying all week that the team is nearly there, but it didn't look like it today... with players like Derbyshire, Baxter, Montano, Croft, Simpson... how have we scored 4 goals in five home games?

Big decision for Corney to make

I wish I had the patience of these people who will still want him in... if their are any left

Really wanted to be proved wrong today but in the end the usual happened

OUT OUT OUT

I have been saying im sad but PD has to go. Now im more assertive and not sorry he has to go

Edited by laticdickovarmy

Very sadly there has to be a change - despite the fact that I have a lot of time for him.

He plays the game the right way, and when we have been good we have looked outstanding at times. Too many games have been squandered through sloppy defending though, and I haven't seen evidence that he can get the players believing once a couple of results go against us.

He restored some pride after the Penney disaster, and that deserves thanks. Now though, I cannot see how this can continue

Edited by De_La_Vega

he's gone surely .... can we have a fresh poll?

I would suggest that we take the number of votes on here, which at present is 226

102 out

124 in

See how number changes by people editing

oafc_lover, Lags, the_mighty_bosh, Latics_Fanatic, jsslatic, oldhamains, JoshOWTB, GlossopLatic, RoytonLatics, PhilStarbucksSilkySkills, ceskylatic, dbaines_971, M.C., aidan_latics, chrmatchajanjoh, bossrocks, beag_teeets, dannydguzman84, Gentleman, BJBlue, dazlatic, pdw76, Gemma06, Twisbrogan, chaddylad, singe, ChrisB, MICHAELPNIXON, madlatic, LeylandLatic, lancy lad, oafc-latics, stevesidg, Fan up the ladder, Ernie For England, slystallone, toasits, 24hoursfromtulsehill, manshaw, maddog, delpez, Flemboy, mick26, iamjonesyyoafc, athleticus, Mark59, rictic, a259, Jack Wight, Snookmeister, penrhyn, BlueInAus, Nigel D Lenegan, jonboy78, JohnnyPimp, JA11K, forever blue, stevesmitt, eball, OAFCKeepTheFaith, rudemedic, Blue83, Tommy_Fent, andyb, laticsrblue, chrismcgarry, eclaire, funkychicken, bluesteve, Bristolatic, Hooledonut, John Platt, Steve_R, Listers Blisters, oafcmetty, flytrap, pjkent, LaticsPete, monkeyalan, stott182, meat pie sausage roll, HAYESY, pk200, mikebOAFC, andy_b_100, Millibob, Bloodisblue!, IceStationLatic, TheBigDog, MancLatic, OldhamSheridan, maxim3, thetruelatics, EASTLEY, stevey62, bluecomrade, OAFC_Rob, ronnieblair, Monty Burns, textbookdave, Lazerwind, ajw65, JonesyOAFC, Huangjoe, rosa, TafkaN, daznathe, Bournemouth Tic, arnoid, jbu44, roberttaylor, wardlelatic, paw4, nelly955, klow1, daw51, Benja, Simpo, emfy, NJ33, LaticsChris, scotty doesn't know, peanuts, jackomiddy

List of current inners above

Current list of out's below

laticdickovarmy, Omar Don't Scare, AnthonyOAFC, steveoafc, oafcprozac, laticsmarra, Midsblue, c.hill12, ChrisA, cplatics, laticsfan693, welshgaz, BP1960, oldhamoafc, Microcuts, skiptonlatic, jbrown23, orpheo, mcvitieman, oldhamandy1, yarddogs, longtimeblue, BlueTed, pogsknee, mackin89, Schlieb, Lukers1, Postman Matt, Davros, mwingle, oldhamathleticmad, BARNS, supertaylor, eyres_28, Lboro latic, DmightyLatics, shorelatic, WriterOnAPole, Crusoe, Wardie, sunshine185, Oh Heck C-Beck, CD's Orange Heels, daveoafc91, jvmdublin, RobOAFC, warwickshire latics, simon222, Break The Silence, dazholls, MattLatics, stainrods hero, oafc21, Canada_latic, chris_ktf, opinions4u, Gaz_Oafc, reeriff, hussar6109, ric_johno, LaticsLegend, shefflatic, Stoney, alan136, excharnwoodlatic, KYLEOAFC, Doctor_Worm, LT_SMASH, Senor_Coconut, Killens_physio, keepthefaith1, JWhite101, oafc1955, bigfatjoe1, delstaxico, dannyboy55555, oldhamathleticfailsworth, Choo, UpTheLatics, flashlatic, ritchie82, doctor evil, ZiggaZaggaAthletic, Fruitygoo, Ackey, pcassist, Libertine, lookersgeez, Marsden, jonobelfield, mattbutt, dobxal, JakeRowland, Lee Sinnott, petelatics, BristolOwl, codie, daniel8157, HallamBlue, nava, oafcforever, Dave78

Edited by laticdickovarmy

he's gone surely .... can we have a fresh poll?

That poll, despite representative in terms of numbers (200 opinions over 4,000 is a decent percentage), didn't paint the full picture. I'd say 65% of today's attendance want him out.

As my girlfriend said today (she doesn't go that often anymore) "it's a joke, they're just taking the piss out of him". Him being Dickov. She weren't having a dig at the supporters, she just saw how clueless Dickov appears (is).

I'm still an inner.

What exactly did he do wrong today? Started with the best team at the club and we started like a train for the first 10 minutes, they then got into it and the game opened out but we were the better side first half.

Team talk was easy, keep at it and it'll come.

Second half they started the better side and we got back into, it looked like a matter of time till we scored, Derbyshire had a decent chance but was offside, we had quite a few shots and Baxter was unlucky to hit a sweet shot against the post. From the RRE looked like we had one cleared off the line too.

The game was stretched as both sides lost their shape and it was end to end, they nicked a spawny goal where the defence could have done better and we couldn't even get our traditional last minute goal ruled out.

Croft and Mvoto were once again our best players, Montano didn't have his usual game, I would have swapped him for Hughes about 50 minutes in. Wes did the defensive midfield role well but we just couldn't get it in the bloody net.

To sack him after that would be harsh, yes Coventry were :censored: but we did everything but score.

What could have been done differently? I don't think there was anything wrong with the starting line up, till about 60 minutes we looked the team that would go on to win, Montano could have been replaced by Hughes but I'd have left the rest as it was. Bouzanis justified his selection with some good work and a few players did tire but on the bench we had an out of form Simmo and Smith as the only attacking options.

Maybe some thing with bringing Brown on and pushing Wabara to RW, Croft central but it would have unbalanced us or Smith on and lump it?

One defensive lapse cost us a point but that's football.

To sack him after that would be harsh, yes Coventry were :censored: but we did everything but score.

Same story... I agree that today he arguably couldn't have done much more.. but after promising improvement and showing none all season, it's getting to the stage where every game we're doing everything but score. that's more than luck now I think, something is wrong.

One defensive lapse cost us a point but that's football.

again, how many goals have we given away this season from the defence switching off? a better question might be 'how many goals have we conceded that we genuinely couldn't have done anything about and was a good piece of opposition play?'

like PD says, we're not far off a good team... but i'm starting to think the thing that will make us click is a change of manager. nothing else has worked

No manager in the world can stop individual defenders switching off or making a blunder except replacing the players with new. Latics and PD are pretty much tied there. Sure you coach on the training field and you talk in the dressing room but once the players cross that line it's out of the managers hands.

What is in the managers hands is formation, tactics and training the players to play your way and style you've choose. PD has and he openly admits this is his best squad of players. Now unless we are giving the players too much credit we are just not firing together as a unit. It's not flowing quickly or effectively enough. PD is shuffling his pack of late searching for the magic shape and correct mix of players. We are not creative enough in the middle of the park with Wes and Furman being holding players and the back four not joining in the attacks in the most fluid effective manner. For me this is the area PD needs to address and quickly for his and the clubs sake. I would drop Baxter in there with either wes or Furman. The only other way to keep Wes and Furman would be to sacrifice a winger/three at the back. Stick Simpson or Smith along side Derbyshire and attack sides with speed.

I said the other day give PD 15 games at that point Corney tells him and his players they have 5 games to turn it around. Whilst starting to look for a new man.

I wonder how many Dickov in'ers would change their vote tonight?

I have, I've defended him up until yesterday it was the straw that broke the camels back. I believe that yesterday he failed as a manager by not only losing to a very poor side but more importantly he's not learning from his mistakes. He can bleat on about performances all he wants but the fact is we've simply not won enough games

Edited by Tommy_Fent

Would love to think he can turn it round and be a success but no evidence this season he can.

No evidence from the previous two seasons that he can turn it round either.

He's had a fair crack. Time to change.

Edited by opinions4u

Think that represents the views of many hardcore supporters who want him to do well. However the results have been dire since last January. 4inches inside a post and more than likely Coventry beaten however it was, they won and as Robbins admits utter tosh from both teams for majority of game. Lags has it right re individual mistakes but score two and one mistake doesnt matter. 6 points from the games 3 draws and 3 defeats at home is appaling in any season.

Would love to think he can turn it round and be a success but no evidence this season he can. Corney cant win really whatever he does.

With the vote so split, as you say, whatever he decides, half the fanbase will be miffed.

But, there's no getting away from the fact that the team sits in a relegation place and PD did say judge me after 10 games.