Coventry

For us? No, we are nowhere near that stage of the season yet. I doubt Coventry will stay at this end of the table for that long either.

For Dickov though it is definitely a "must perform" game. If we perform well and don't win he should get Crewe and Preston to put things right, but if we put in a hopeless performance we'll be lucky to be in the job come Monday.

For us? No, we are nowhere near that stage of the season yet. I doubt Coventry will stay at this end of the table for that long either.

For Dickov though it is definitely a "must perform" game. If we perform well and don't win he should get Crewe and Preston to put things right, but if we put in a hopeless performance we'll be lucky to be in the job come Monday.

If we lose, Dickov will really be swimming against the tide, in terms of keeping his job. I'm not sure even another 'promising' but fruitless performance will do much for him.

If we lose, Dickov will really be swimming against the tide, in terms of keeping his job. I'm not sure even another 'promising' but fruitless performance will do much for him.

I suspect Corney's giving him until Derbyshire's loan deal ends.

But if the "right man", whoever the hell that is, should become available sooner "promising performance" without result may not be enough.

I think it will take a VERY good performance for Dickov to keep his job if we lose, but I strongly doubt that losing on Saturday will mean that we've performed well.

It's not a must win though because a draw might indicate that the team is improving and looking as though a win is probable very soon. On the other hand if we scrape a 0-0 or a lucky goal in a 1-1 draw (a la Walsall) then it could be just as damning as a defeat.

Win and we'll be Champions of Europe in 3 years! :first::applause1::scarf001:

But if the "right man", whoever the hell that is, should become available sooner "promising performance" without result may not be enough.

Possibly re Derbyshire, but I rather see what a new manager can do with Wabara and Derbyshire rather than letting them go back to their parent clubs first.

I don't think it's about the right man coming in though, Dickov will be sacked when it's obvious our prospects with him in charge are utterly hopeless (which could be very soon) then we'll look at what's available from there.

That's probably right, but if we put in another stop start directionless performance this weekend then he has to act. The team we have now is half-decent with options for every position, some of the options are better than others but the two centre-halves apart, I think we have a team of good footballers - capable of playing attractive, expansive and penetrative football. The robustness of the system and his reluctance to make an impact and influence an in game change of tact, has cost us time and again.

If we fail to win tomorrow his win percentage will be a straight 28% in League Football, he simply has to go sooner rather than later.

I'm gutted to say that, he's a likeable guy that is enthusiastic and proud to be manager of Oldham Athletic. Before the season started I was willing to give him until Christmas bearing in mind the finish we had last year.

The penny dropped for me at Chesterfield, we barely crossed the halfway line after taking the lead, only seeing a similar late rally like last week once the game was gone. This was followed up by two inept home performances, going behind to ten men TWICE then adding to that three days later by allowing a team that had previously struggled badly, take us apart. Somehow we got a point out of the game.

When you look at the quality we have had at the club during his tenure, we have badly underachieved by finishing lower than halfway.

As I say, nice guy :censored:e manager...

Edited by oafcprozac

According to the fishal though, they did have quite the confusing triumph in midweek...

They have picked up only three points from their first eight league matches and in midweek suffered a 6-1 defeat at Coventry City in the Capital One Cup.

It's just funny now.

6 months ago we hadn't only 2 wins in 18

6 months ago the player count wasn't at 48 incoming deals

6 months ago, I made allowances for injuries to people like Wesolowski and Kuqi's :censored:e form

6 months or so ago the second half of 2010/11 hadn't yet been repeated

6 months ago the penny hadn't dropped that no matter who was in the team, we would set out the same way

My patience was being tested though 6 months ago with his determination to keep Kuqi in the team no matter what, despite having other options.

I think tbh time has caught up with him. Even if he wins tomorrow his win record will still only be 29%.

When we appointed him I was less than enthralled, but willing to give him a chance. Up until the Spring I was willing to back him no matter what as the last thing we needed was another managerial change, the penny has dropped that we are no further forward in terms of managerial ability than we were with Penney. And before people say, "well look at who Dickov has brought in…" I'd argue that Penney brought quality in too, like Abbott, Furman, :censored:, Flahavan etc and managed to get the best out of Smalley. Wrongly or rightly he finally gave Stephens and Lee a run in the side albeit because his options were so limited.

Unless we go on a decent run starting tomorrow, by that I mean at least 4 or 5 wins in the next 10 games then he simply has to go. Man for Man we are a half decent side, our start to the season has been pisspoor. Even allowing for the new lads to bed in. New lads bedding in doesn't account for sitting back for 60 minutes at chesterfield or setting out with the same cautious outlook every week….

Another stat, we haven't scored 3 goals at home since NYE, overall we've scored 3 goals in a game once this year - at Sheff Utd….I can cope with being :censored:, but I want to see a few goals and the team have a go from the off. That's not really happened since around November last year, instead we hear about being unlucky and how :censored: the ref was.

2 wins in 18 is relegation form, even Penney didn't have a record anywhere near as bad - his worst run was 4 in 18 but played most the money teams and the challengers during that run. Do we carry on and 'hope' he comes good? He's enjoyed mostly unconditional support during the previous bad runs, as proved when I took you to task earlier in the year. I supported him through the 3 wins in 23 from February-August 2011 but i'm now of the opinion that he's simply not up to the job of keeping us in this division.

Edited by oafcprozac

That's probably right, but if we put in another stop start directionless performance this weekend then he has to act. The team we have now is half-decent with options for every position, some of the options are better than others but the two centre-halves apart, I think we have a team of good footballers - capable of playing attractive, expansive and penetrative football. The robustness of the system and his reluctance to make an impact and influence an in game change of tact, has cost us time and again.

If we fail to win tomorrow his win percentage will be a straight 28% in League Football, he simply has to go sooner rather than later.

I'm gutted to say that, he's a likeable guy that is enthusiastic and proud to be manager of Oldham Athletic. Before the season started I was willing to give him until Christmas bearing in mind the finish we had last year.

The penny dropped for me at Chesterfield, we barely crossed the halfway line after taking the lead, only seeing a similar late rally like last week once the game was gone. This was followed up by two inept home performances, going behind to ten men TWICE then adding to that three days later by allowing a team that had previously struggled badly, take us apart. Somehow we got a point out of the game.

When you look at the quality we have had at the club during his tenure, we have badly underachieved by finishing lower than halfway.

As I say, nice guy :censored:e manager...

Good post, Prozac.

Tomorrow is it, for me. Lose...then he should do the honourable thing and go of his own accord, not wait until he is sacked.

6 months ago, I made allowances for injuries to people like Wesolowski and Kuqi's :censored:e form

6 months ago the penny hadn't dropped that no matter who was in the team, we would set out the same way

My patience was being tested though 6 months ago with his determination to keep Kuqi in the team no matter what, despite having other options.

I think tbh time has caught up with him. Even if he wins tomorrow his win record will still only be 29%.

When we appointed him I was less than enthralled, but willing to give him a chance. Up until the Spring I was willing to back him no matter what as the last thing we needed was another managerial change, the penny has dropped that we are no further forward in terms of managerial ability than we were with Penney. And before people say, "well look at who Dickov has brought in…" I'd argue that Penney brought quality in too, like Abbott, Furman, :censored:, Flahavan etc and managed to get the best out of Smalley. Wrongly or rightly he finally gave Stephens and Lee a run in the side albeit because his options were so limited.

Unless we go on a decent run starting tomorrow, by that I mean at least 4 or 5 wins in the next 10 games then he simply has to go. Man for Man we are a half decent side, our start to the season has been pisspoor. Even allowing for the new lads to bed in. New lads bedding in doesn't account for sitting back for 60 minutes at chesterfield or setting out with the same cautious outlook every week….

Another stat, we haven't scored 3 goals at home since NYE, overall we've scored 3 goals in a game once this year - at Sheff Utd….I can cope with being :censored:, but I want to see a few goals and the team have a go from the off. That's not really happened since around November last year, instead we hear about being unlucky and how :censored: the ref was.

2 wins in 18 is relegation form, even Penney didn't have a record anywhere near as bad - his worst run was 4 in 18 but played most the money teams and the challengers during that run. Do we carry on and 'hope' he comes good? He's enjoyed mostly unconditional support during the previous bad runs, as proved when I took you to task earlier in the year. I supported him through the 3 wins in 23 from February-August 2011 but i'm now of the opinion that he's simply not up to the job of keeping us in this division.

Or, to cut a long story short:

It wasn't great. It didn't get better. It got worse.

Very good post Prozac. The difference for me between Dickov and Penney is that, over the past 2 seasons, Dickov has shown us how good things can be, with the league form until February in his 1st season and the Cup runs in the 2nd. Also the team we had until January this year was an easy team to like due to their attitude and style of play.

But all they have done is mask the bad times which, as the stats show, are more extreme than Penney's. Barring the odd occasion the lows weren't particularly low under Penney, but there was absolutely no hope of success or progression with his style of management. For the past two seasons Dickov has (deservedly in my opinion) kept his job on the back of optimism from the early part of the season. There's not much of that about at present because there are too many negatives from previous seasons that he hasn't improved on.

Barring the odd occasion the lows weren't particularly low under Penney, but there was absolutely no hope of success or progression with his style of management.

Sorry but that's drivel, it was so bad a lot of fans were singing for his head even when we won!

Unfortunately the worm has turned and even if we win tomorrow and on Tuesday, lose the Saturday after and the knives will be out again.

Sorry but that's drivel, it was so bad a lot of fans were singing for his head even when we won!

Unfortunately the worm has turned and even if we win tomorrow and on Tuesday, lose the Saturday after and the knives will be out again.

If we take 6 points out of 9 starting tomorrow I will be delighted and dickov will have bought himself more time for me.

To be fair allot of the people saying he should go are also saying they want to see him succeed I'd also like to think that those who do think he should go don't think that:

A- Our bad start to the season is purely down to the manager the players have to take some responsibility.

B- That sacking the manager is suddenly going to jet propel us up the league into the championship.

Its about results Paul Dickov needs results and fast. If he gets them the shouts for him to go will quieten down

Extract from the Chron..........

Athletic manager Paul Dickov says he will do everything he can for his team to beat Coventry at Boundary Park tomorrow.

Putting more pressure on himself, if ( everything he can ) is not good enough tomorrow surely he has to resign.

To be fair allot of the people saying he should go are also saying they want to see him succeed I'd also like to think that those who do think he should go don't think that:

A- Our bad start to the season is purely down to the manager the players have to take some responsibility. Agree but it's the manager who will fall

B- That sacking the manager is suddenly going to jet propel us up the league into the championship. No - but change will show whether it is the performance of players or the management that is the cause of our dire showing on the pitch

Its about results Paul Dickov needs results and fast. If he gets them the shouts for him to go will quieten down - until the results turn again...

Cynical? Moi? I remain as ever hopeful...