F.a.o. Simon Corney re Jose Baxter.

Out of intrest would we get compo should Baxter contract run out and he leaves?

Doubt it. Compensation is supposed to reflect a club's investment in developing a youngster and bringing him through. Since he'd have been with us for all of four months that might extend to, I dunno, a firm handshake or a packet of peanuts.

Edited by Crusoe

We'd have to offer Baxter a written contract on at least equal terms to qualify for compo. If we did so and he left I doubt we'd get all that much but as a guideline IIRC we got £20k for Evina. But we had Evina for twice as long and he had barely played, if at all, league football before he came here.

We'd have to offer Baxter a written contract on at least equal terms to qualify for compo. If we did so and he left I doubt we'd get all that much but as a guideline IIRC we got £20k for Evina. But we had Evina for twice as long and he had barely played, if at all, league football before he came here.

Evina only became a Latics player in the January.

Evina only became a Latics player in the January.

I think we got some credit for his loan spell- after all it was part of his footballing development. Like how because he was on loan at the Trannies, where he played regularly, we wouldn't get as much for Baxter.

Wabara was MOTM for me last night, though all players involved were excellent. Hopefully we can keep him until the end of the season - PD seems to have good contacts with City who'll be glad he's playing regular football. That being said, I think he's good enough for the Championship already.

Back on topic, yes we should be pulling out all the stops to sign Baxter, its clear he's a quality player. There'll certainly be interest from bigger clubs than us in January if he's a free agent then. If last night was a one-off and we're still close to the bottom 4 at Christmas, I can see him moving on (and wouldn't blame him). If, however, we manage to turn things around and are higher up the league then who knows, that might be enough of an incentive for him to stay.

As others have suggested, I'd try and sign him up with the suggestion that if a bigger club comes in for him, we won't stand in his way (though we'll have a huge minimum fee release clause!!!).

Isn't that a bit of a contradiction? But I know what you mean!!