Jim Gannon

I sat next to JG at the home game against Bournemouth (PD first season in charge) and we were losing 1-0 at HT, I heard him talking to what must be his assistant, and he had a formation board on his lap, he said the only way Oldham are gonna get get back into this is supplying Kieron Lee down the right, next thing Kieron Lee bags and we turn it around to win 2-1.

Tactical Genius

Just googled the team from that day, any better than we got now? PD comments are interesting as well (and repetetive up to the present day)
  • 01 Brill
  • 02 Mvoto
  • 06 Hazell
  • 21 Black
  • 07 Jones (Alessandra 56)
  • 14 Furman (Kelly 74)
  • 18 Taylor
  • 19 Lee
  • 20 Stephens
  • 17 Feeney (Jarrett 90+6)
  • 36 Tounkare

"We wanted to play a high-tempo game today. We've played ever so well in other games and not got what we wanted.

"I don't think either team played particularly well football-wise today, but the character, resilience and determination we showed to go and win the game is fantastic.

"When we make substitutions we want them to have an effect on the game. Lewis [Alessandra] has been out the best part of four weeks but he came on was positive and people react to that."

From a county fan I know:

"Much uproar on our message board, with the vast majority backing Jim over the board. He's basically been told to slash and burn this season, with results being as poor as expected, but he's had pretty much nothing to work with.

Hopefully the new man is lined up, and will be backed financially, but who knows with this lot in charge.

We've been an utter shambles off the field for over 10 years now, so I can see the whole club dying in the next couple of years really."

Sound familiar?

I don't understand how you can go in to a CVA, write off 99% of your debts, attract crowds of 3,000+ and be skint / struggle in the Conference. Where half of your opponents are part time.

As far as I'm aware there's only Southport,Ebbsfleet & Hyde who are part time in that league these days.

Not so sure re: Motherwell Stevie?

I know a couple of fans through work and they call JG the Drawing Pin / coz he's a wee prick with a big head. Lost the fans pretty quickly by there account of things with some pretty interesting sound bites to the media.

I thought his Stockport side looked very impressive in their League Two promotion season; but losing Pilkington & Dickinson massively affected them, and Gannon never got them to make the step up to compete and survive in League One. When they dropped; they were a poor side and he was gone sharpish.

His spells at Motherwell, Peterborough and Port Vale ring alarm bells to me. If PD goes; i woulddnt really want us going with JG.

I thought his Stockport side looked very impressive in their League Two promotion season; but losing Pilkington & Dickinson massively affected them

They looked pretty good without those two when they pulled Shez's league leaders apart at Edgeley Park.

and Gannon never got them to make the step up to compete and survive in League One.

He did Sly. They were flirting with the play offs for much of that season. Then County went in to freefall as player sales, administration and ten points were deducted and form suffered too as backroom goings on undermined the team. They ended the season clear of the drop in 18th place after that points deduction.

Gary Ablett was manager when they were relegated from League One. Given an impossible task. Remember Dave Penney's exhilarating 1-0 win at Edgeley Park?

When they dropped; they were a poor side and he was gone sharpish.

He was "made redundant" by the administrators that summer. He wasn't the manager when they were relegated.

There are many good reasons to raise concerns about appointing Gannon as your team manager. But his record from December 2005 to May 2009 is exceptional.

Edited by opinions4u

Quite right too if you're going backwards. Are you suggesting Dickov's not been given a fair crack of the whip?

haha no not at all, by the way if we finish 15th(?) this season he has improved evey season in charge which means his not heading backwards ;)

Gannon has been mentioned on here for a number of years now and people seem to just ignore his recent history at clubs just because he did well with Stockport first time around.

Anyone wver thought to themselves......if he was such a good manager why did he get sacked by everybody else while massivly falling out with the boards and the fans? he wasnt manager at Stockport in the conference for the good of his health!

get him quick because our precious fans would love to listen to his bull:censored: every week, im sure there wont be any problems

get him quick because our precious fans would love to listen to his bull:censored: every week, im sure there wont be any problems

I couldn't care less about his "bull:censored:".

I'd be looking at his record of bringing youth through (ironic, eh?), his attractive football, and his ability to create something from pretty much nothing. He'd be a good fit here.

haha no not at all, by the way if we finish 15th(?) this season he has improved evey season in charge which means his not heading backwards ;)

Gannon has been mentioned on here for a number of years now and people seem to just ignore his recent history at clubs just because he did well with Stockport first time around.

Anyone wver thought to themselves......if he was such a good manager why did he get sacked by everybody else while massivly falling out with the boards and the fans? he wasnt manager at Stockport in the conference for the good of his health!

I thought Gannon was nailed on when Dickov got the Job. In all honesty, while it'd probably end up badly, I'd take Gannon over Dickov at the moment. Just to mix things up a bit if nowt else.

Have to agree with Palmer, his first spell at County he looked like a manager that was going places, after that he never seemed to cut the ice. Don't think he could bring anything to us. There are far better managers out of work at the moment who could be worth a punt without going way overboard on a salary. Who knows beat the scouse, another big tie next round, more money to spend. Mind you give me the 4th stand first if we get to Wembley

his one good season in league 2......how many loan player where in that Stockport team out of interest

his abilty to create something out of nothing eh? Stockport have :censored: all and he has created :censored: all! he created :censored: all at Motherwell, he created :censored: all at Peterboro, he created :censored: all at Port Vale but problems.

it does not matter anyway......he is not coming here!!!!! so you call all say what a great manager he would have been for us after his great track record of.....................................................?

his one good season in league 2......how many loan player where in that Stockport team out of interest

his abilty to create something out of nothing eh? Stockport have :censored: all and he has created :censored: all! he created :censored: all at Motherwell, he created :censored: all at Peterboro, he created :censored: all at Port Vale but problems.

it does not matter anyway......he is not coming here!!!!! so you call all say what a great manager he would have been for us after his great track record of.....................................................?

Take it you're not that keen on him then?

Happy to be corrected but from memory there were three on the pitch at Wembley when they beat Rochdale.

Rentakeeper Conrad Logan, Liverpool youth Jamie Smith (last seen as an average Conference player) and a young Stephen Gleeson.

The Peterborough chairman has spoken highly of Gannon in the last few hours. He was appointed by Motherwell with a specific brief to rattle cages - they fired him when he refused to sign a long term contract. As for Vale, patently the wrong manager for the wrong club at the wrong time.

What's happened since 2009 is, of course, relevant.

But his record prior to that was along the lines of:

2005 - took over a County side 10 points adrift at the bottom of the football league.

2006 - saved them from relegation.

2007 - just missed out on the play-offs

2008 - promoted to League One

2009 - sixty points (before 10 pt deduction) in League One

How many Oldham managers in the last two decades can say the league position improved season on season like that?

What's happened since 2009 is, of course, relevant.

But his record prior to that was along the lines of:

2005 - took over a County side 10 points adrift at the bottom of the football league.

2006 - saved them from relegation.

2007 - just missed out on the play-offs

2008 - promoted to League One

2009 - sixty points (before 10 pt deduction) in League One

How many Oldham managers in the last two decades can say the league position improved season on season like that?

Dave Penny at Doncaster?

Brian Talbot at Rushden to a degree?

both wonderful appointments

I sat next to JG at the home game against Bournemouth (PD first season in charge) and we were losing 1-0 at HT, I heard him talking to what must be his assistant, and he had a formation board on his lap, he said the only way Oldham are gonna get get back into this is supplying Kieron Lee down the right, next thing Kieron Lee bags and we turn it around to win 2-1.

Tactical Genius

Well, about the same as PD then. :huh:

Edited by jsslatic