Montano or Taylor

Montano or Taylor  

125 members have voted

1. 1. Montano or Taylor

• Montano
    • Taylor
    • Maybe too soon to vote (I am on the fence)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where has the bollocks idea that Chris Taylor doesn't track back come from? He was an outstanding defensive winger who instantly made his full-back's life easier!

Totally agree too but this is the player he turned into. He lost his creative spark for me and became very industrious. The reason why many got on his back as he finished a completely different player to the won everyone loved.

Edited by welshgaz

Changed my vote from Taylor to on the fence. Still way too early but if he plays all season like the last 2 games, it'll be Montano. Think someone pointed out, either in this thread or another, that we paid the same for him as Colbeck! Unbelievable.

Edited by bossrocks

Changed my vote from Taylor to on the fence. Still way too early but if he plays all season like the last 2 games, it'll be Montano. Think someone pointed out, either in this thread or another, that we paid the same for him as Colbeck! Unbelievable.

Can't argue with that. Montano is looking quality and I genuinely think we could have a £million+ player on our hands (backs up my post a few weeks ago that 50 grand is :censored: all if spent wisely).. However good Montano is, proves to be, it shouldn't detract from the fact that we were always better with Taylor in the team.

Those who get on their high horse should have a word.

rememeber when Taylor first broke into the side and everyone raved about?

he was awesome! everyone loved him! :censored: me Oldham fans are fickle

he went off the boil towards the end but nearly 300? odd games for Latics to Montanos 10?

Edited by palmer1

rememeber when Taylor first broke into the side and everyone raved about?

he was awesome! everyone loved him! :censored: me Oldham fans are fickle

he went off the boil towards the end but nearly 300? odd games for Latics to Montanos 10?

No slight intended, just a straight forward who do you think is the better player, nowt to do with how many games someone played. By that logic Starbuck is better than Baxter!

No slight intended, just a straight forward who do you think is the better player, nowt to do with how many games someone played. By that logic Starbuck is better than Baxter!

I undestand that Lags - but if you are comparing the 2 then what would be the result if you could compare the first 10 games of either player for this club?

its a question of what have you dome for me lately rather than who is better IMO

Montano scored for Oldham today Taylor doesnt play for us anymore - thats good enough for some

I undestand that Lags - but if you are comparing the 2 then what would be the result if you could compare the first 10 games of either player for this club?

its a question of what have you dome for me lately rather than who is better IMO

Montano scored for Oldham today Taylor doesnt play for us anymore - thats good enough for some

I think its more of a "Would you rather have Montano in your team or the Taylor that we have most recently seen (last season) in your side?".

For me that is simple after Taylor's season last year and Montano's first 10 games of this season.

taylor had graft and passion....once he became 'known' by the opposition, he was easy to keep out of the game because i don't think his bag of tricks was anything more than being able to cut inside onto his right peg....

dont get me wrong, he'll go down as a latics legend but i do think after the first 18 months, the fact he was a fan blinkered what became an average (maybe slightly above) latics career.

Montano to me has more raw ability....has shown a willingness to learn that graft (80th minute track back and tackle today) and i believe when we look back in years to come, if we'd sold them both at their peak, i think montano would be worth more....

It's more how will the man freed up cope with it and use it, surely?

not in a comparison between Taylor and Montano

if the players freed up uses the freedom well thats fantastic but it has no bearing on who is the better player

Wait until Montano is marked by 2 every game like Taylor was for a long time, lets see how he copes with that

The key with Montano is I don't think he knows what he's going to do next, so the opposition will be hard pressed to second guess what he's going to do.

Chris Taylor gave us sterling service and some real memorable moments, we were doubly harsh on him as we knew his ability at this level and he was one of us. However, i'm not surprised to see he's struggling to make an impact at Millwall so far, one start and a couple of sub appearances show he needs to seriously up his game if he is to succeed in the higher league.

As for Montano, he's a helluva prospect that we have to nurture, he's gradually got better in each game but he's at this level for a reason and sooner or later will have a dip in form. It's up to us to build him back up again when that happens, remember he's only a kid but a level-headed kid with responsibilities.

Taylor is obviously the better player that has worn the OAFC shirt due to his 300 appearances and 30 odd goals. But the fact Montano has a three year deal suggests, one day he is going to earn us a barrow load of bunce.

Montano reminds me a bit of Rick Holden, he wants to get the cross in, he's gangly, looks like he never truly has the ball under control when taking his man on and has a demon shot and he can track back to good effect. We finally seem to have got ourselves the old school winger we have been yearning for, one that has an end product and gets chalk on his boots.

For all Taylor did in his 6 years in the team, his party piece was forever cutting inside, I can count on the fingers of one hand the times he got to the by-line and pulled it back for someone….

Edited by oafcprozac

The key with Montano is I don't think he knows what he's going to do next, so the opposition will be hard pressed to second guess what he's going to do.

Chris Taylor gave us sterling service and some real memorable moments, we were doubly harsh on him as we knew his ability at this level and he was one of us. However, i'm not surprised to see he's struggling to make an impact at Millwall so far, one start and a couple of sub appearances show he needs to seriously up his game if he is to succeed in the higher league.

As for Montano, he's a helluva prospect that we have to nurture, he's gradually got better in each game but he's at this level for a reason and sooner or later will have a dip in form. It's up to us to build him back up again when that happens, remember he's only a kid but a level-headed kid with responsibilities.

Taylor is obviously the better player that has worn the OAFC shirt due to his 300 appearances and 30 odd goals. But the fact Montano has a three year deal suggests, one day he is going to earn us a barrow load of bunce.

Montano reminds me a bit of Rick Holden, he wants to get the cross in, he's gangly, looks like he never truly has the ball under control when taking his man on and has a demon shot and he can track back to good effect. We finally seem to have got ourselves the old school winger we have been yearning for, one that has an end product and gets chalk on his boots.

For all Taylor did in his 6 years in the team, his party piece was forever cutting inside, I can count on the fingers of one hand the times he got to the by-line and pulled it back for someone….

is that not because he was a right winger playing on the left?

hell, we all know he played 200 and odd on the left and only a handfull on the right (he also played up front) but he was right winger which i think everyone in the stands new, managment never gave him a proper chance there for whatever reason

stick Montano on the right - his party piece would be exactly the same, especilly as he seems very one footed

dont get me wrong he looks like a real prospect to me and I m happy we have have, I hope he only gets better

Edited by palmer1

He did it when he was on the right though, three managers all saw him better on the left. It was only Moore who saw him as a right-sider. Rightly or wrongly.

Montano is an out and out winger for me, Chris is a jack of all trades having played left and right-wing, left and right wingback, left-back, CM, up front and in the hole during his time here. He is your quintessential utility player imo. Stick Montano anywhere other than wide and i'm not so sure he'd be able to play with the amount of freedom he does.

I think Taylor let himself down due to lack of confidence rather than ability. His left foot is decent enough when he uses it, but he was rarely up for giving it a go.Maybe he more than most young players felt the pressure more than someone coming in would have done? Anyway, if you could have got him wired up to go outside his man one in three times he would have put the :censored:s up any defender in the league

• 2 months later...