Latics' long time in League One

Correct me if my stats are wrong Prozac! :)

I worked out that, with this being our 16th consecutive season in League One, there are only 7 professional teams in England that have been in their current league longer than us. They are Arsenal, Aston Villa, Chelsea, Everton, Liverpool, United and Tottenham...all established teams in the Premier League!

Apart from shedding light on a potentially depressing statistic I was wondering what people see as the positive or negative aspects of being in the same league longer than other clubs or of being in this particularly league?

I worked out that, with this being our 16th consecutive season in League One, there are only 7 professional teams in England that have been in their current league longer than us. They are Arsenal, Aston Villa, Chelsea, Everton, Liverpool, United and Tottenham...all established teams in the Premier League!

Apart from shedding light on a potentially depressing statistic I was wondering what people see as the positive or negative aspects of being in the same league longer than other clubs or of being in this particularly league?

We haven't been in league 2 for quite a while, perhaps could be seen as a positive.

Can think of plenty of negatives. But I don't like to dwell on those.

The only positive I can think of is the excitement only we can feel about a team like Crawley coming up, because that means we can visit a new away ground. Whoop.

we have been the longest serving football league club for a few years now i believe, since darlington and rochdale parted company with league2. when you take into account top flight teams cannot get promoted i would consider us the longest serving full stop, not that its anything to be proud of.

personally i cant see any positives, only negatives in the fact fans get bored of seeing the same teams over and over, so attendences dwindle

We're the new Rochdale, even they got promoted eventually so there's hope.

Just look at the Bin Dippers start to the season, their 12 consecutive at this level. Many have laughed off their start to the season but the longer their run goes on the more chance they have in a poor division. No one backed Rotherham under Moore….and going into the 2nd weekend in October unbeaten is pretty decent. (As are Stevenage and Saturday's opponents)

Yep 16 seasons, and that familiarity has bred contempt from those sick of Tuesday nights at home to Scunny and away at Hartlepool… crowds were between 2,500-3000 higher when we were dumped into this league. Surely the worm has to turn sooner rather than later. But it does depend of us securing loanees to help us at least survive comfortably in this league for another God forsaken year...

I think one of the only consolations in recent years has been that some big clubs have dropped down to this division, possibly more so than in the past. The Sheffield clubs, Nottingham Forest, Leeds, Southampton, Norwich, Portsmouth arguably, Huddersfield (massive club), all clubs I reckon we'd have been pretty happy to get in the cup not so long ago. Aside from that and briefly resurrecting the local rivalry with Dale (and probably Bury) there's not many positives.

It became boring a few years a go! I don't go to as many away games as I would like but, I have no reason to. I have seen nearly every team in this division play at home and will have seen them all by the end of the season. If we stay up and no new grounds come our way next season, I might just pick some random games to watch.

Edited by Guest

From a negative point of view I reckon its the reason our crowds are so low............... nowt ever happens, no promotions or even relegations and its always been the case.

I'm 42 now and been going for aprox 35 or 36 years and in that time I have only witnessed 1 promotion and 2 relegations.

From a positive point of view it could be far worse, look at the likes of Stockport and Darlo

Sausage and mash

fish and chips

cats and dogs

Latics and League 1.

I may be mistaken, but I think we were the longest serving 2nd Division club before we got promoted to the 1st Division. The way football has moved on, I think we are now in the equivalent of the old 2nd Division. The Premier League is now so rich and full of very good foreign players that it is completely out of reach.

On another note, I can't see us ever getting promoted out of this division, when the manager is only briefed to avoid relegation.

This will be 16 years in Division1 .....Division 3.

Still not up to the 17 years we had in Division 2 .....Championship.

Basically for a small club we must be one , if not , the least volatile in terms of moving division.

In 41 years , we have had 3 promotions and 2 relegations. 36 out of 41 years with no movement.

Considering 7 teams switch out of our division , almost 1/3rd , can't be many like us.

We are like the opposite of West Brom and Birmingham we have had I belivee a total 4 promotions since the end of the 2nd world war as many as they have managed in the last 10 years but then again I thing we have only managed 3 relegations again less than they have in the last 10 years.

The positive being is that we seem to have bottomed out at some point things will change for the better and we will have that promotion party thats what's keeping me going anyway.