Derbyshire's contract

When does his contract expire?

Forest won't want him I'd imagine, they have loads of strikers at the moment so whilst I know its not realistic to sign him permanently, I hope, like every other fan does, we could keep him for a little bit longer. He's getting paid, he's getting minutes, scoring goals, looks to be enjoying his time here in a form team; its what strikers want.

If in case he doesn't want to stay; Leon Clarke will be available in January and Ryan Lowe has been transfer listed by MK Dons so there are alternatives in the market at the moment; but I'm sure with his blossoming bond with Baxter and proven goalscoring record already we'd rather have him than those others.

Derbyshire is reputed to be on £16K a week at Forest so, as much as we (and the club) want to keep him and as much as he would no doubt love to stay, we need to look at the sums.

First of all, we can only extend his loan period to, I believe, a maximum of 93 days, which would take him into December (I think his current loan ends after next Saturday). A bit like Simpson last season.

That can only happen if we are still getting a fair dollop paid by Forest, which is the unknown quantity, but I imagine (and hope) that they would do that just for a couple of months.

If he then comes back in the January window, will Forest want to keep stumping up the cash? We sure as hell can't afford that kind of money. I imagine other clubs with a bigger pot to piss in than us will be after him; he's a class act.

I won't be surprised if we extend his current loan, but it's going to take a lot of wheeling and dealing to get him back in January. You never know, he might be enjoying life at BP so much that he'll come here for what we can afford.

Something I genuinely dont know is lets say his loan finishes next week can we sort of send him back for a fortnight (still train with us) and then renew his loan so it goes to January transfer window instead of missing December games that come fast. Not saying we should change a winning team just asking about the process.

If Derbyshire has earned the money thats reported hes not short of a £££ of ten so you never know. Baxter WILL be here I just sense it will happen.

No you cannot split the 93 days maximum into 2 or more sections in order to play a player for more important games.

Even if we could have done so I still wouldn't bother as games in December are much more likely to get postponed than games in November.

If Derbyshire has earned the money thats reported hes not short of a £££ of ten so you never know. Baxter WILL be here I just sense it will happen.

I agree with you there. Baxter has already shown that he isn't driven by the money; having rejected the contract at Everton. If we continue to win and he keeps scoring then I'm sure he'll be happy to stay. He's only 20 years old so has a long career ahead of him so spending a short time in a league that he is better than isn't a tragedy and he will know that himself.

I have confidence in him extending his contract.

It's in the MEN today that PD is very confident of extending Derbyshire's & Baxter's stays.

If we beat Kidderminster, that's £18k in the coffers.

That could secure Baxter for a couple more months I'd have thought?

It's in the MEN today that PD is very confident of extending Derbyshire's & Baxter's stays.

If we beat Kidderminster, that's £18k in the coffers.

That could secure Baxter for a couple more months I'd have thought?

I wouldn't count on it. I expect it was already budgeted that we would get through the first few rounds of the FA Cup, probably already spent on something else!

I wouldn't count on it. I expect it was already budgeted that we would get through the first few rounds of the FA Cup, probably already spent on something else!

Anyone who spends money they are yet to receive on the assumption they will receive it in a few weeks or months is an idiot. It was a commonly accepted practice that when TTA were in charge they didn't spend money on the basis of a cup progression without having the cup progression. Any money we receive from the FA cup will not have already been spent, however, that doesn't mean it will be made available for Dickov to spend on players' contracts.

Theres no way a club will budget for "we would get through the first few rounds".

Even Latics wouldn't be that daft - would they !!!!!!!!!!

Edited by losesome

Anyone who spends money they are yet to receive on the assumption they will receive it in a few weeks or months is an idiot. It was a commonly accepted practice that when TTA were in charge they didn't spend money on the basis of a cup progression without having the cup progression. Any money we receive from the FA cup will not have already been spent, however, that doesn't mean it will be made available for Dickov to spend on players' contracts.

I completely agree but wasn't there a big issue last year that even though we received lots of FA cup money we had already spent it? Costs were higher than proposed income for the season and the FA cup was plugging the gap?

Probably completely off the mark here, actually hope I am for a change!

Very basic/simple truth from the last few weeks - you need to invest to bring in quality, and quality really does count......Simon....i'm talking to you....stating the obvious....which is now even more obvious......

Following on from the above quote, and going back three / four years. We were still in the same division as now, but at that stage with higher gates. If then we had invested in the same calibre of players as Derbyshire and Baxter, and we would have had more money to do so, do you think we would still be in this division ? The chances are no we wouldn't - and l don't mean we would have been relegated.

You need quality on the pitch to improve the product you are trying to sell ; you need a successful product on the pitch, which will attract more bums on seats. More bums on seats means more income, more income means more funds available in invest in more quality. You can have one of the worst grounds in the country, but if your team is successful, winning games, playing good football, pushing for promotion, then people will come to watch.

Couldnt agree more trust me if we were charging £25 a ticket people WOULD pay it if we were winning every game and were top of the league

People will pay to watch good football, I love the playershare concept but what we really need to keep them is a cup run again.

The other thing is if we have a really good team other good players we will want to stay and join in the summer

I completely agree but wasn't there a big issue last year that even though we received lots of FA cup money we had already spent it? Costs were higher than proposed income for the season and the FA cup was plugging the gap?

Probably completely off the mark here, actually hope I am for a change!

That's because we are a loss making business. People expect the owners to bear the cost of any extra spending, but use any unforeseen revenue on the playing side. Isn't it natural to use some extra revenue to lose less money?

That's because we are a loss making business. People expect the owners to bear the cost of any extra spending, but use any unforeseen revenue on the playing side. Isn't it natural to use some extra revenue to lose less money?

But occasionally, it really is worth the gamble isn't it ? Sign up Baxter on the longest contract we can get him to agree to, pay him a 'Tayloresque' wage. He's the nearest thing to a bankable guaranteed transfer fee we are likely to see. If he goes for nothing after 4 months I'll be gutted. It's players like him that get the people watching and wanting to come back - I'm sure SC must know this....