Should Latics have kept Ronnie Moore

Ronnie  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Should Latics have kept Ronnie Moore as manager?

2. 2. If Latics had kept him, what league would we now be in?

What Fanatic said. I can't see with Ronnie we would have won auto the following season, and we'd have had our arses handed to us by an outstanding Blackpool either over two legs or at Wembley no matter who was managing us. History would have been no different.

He didn't set Rotherham alight on his second time there, and his policy of kicking the ball over Richie Wellen's head suggests gross incompetence. So he's on a good run at the moment, the guy needs a piece of joy in his life as he has to wait in a queue to get into his front door.

I am confused as to what RM did when he was here or has done since in the five and a half years since he's left that make people think we'd have finished top two with Sheridan's side. He's been sacked twice since and that lot I saw yesterday won't be going up this season.

I remember the season after under Sheridan for about half the season till about February you were beating the living daylights out of teams and looking like champions and then you bizarrely tailed off, scraping 6th when at one point you looked like you were going to storm it.

Yep, best football we've seen since the glory days with players that looked crap under Ronnie. I was anti his sacking, I usually am on the basis that it means nothing to say, "give a manager time," unless you are prepared to sit through :censored:e, but looking back he didn't do well for us with a decent budget and a clean slate.

Being a Tranmere fan I look at this from a different perspective. When he was with us last time I hated the hoof ball and wasn't sorry when he got the push. When he came back last season I wasn't happy but the horrendous Parry had got us into such an awful position that we were hurtling headlong towards Division 2 without doubt.Moore turned it around but I was still fifty fifty when he got a contract for this season.However the change this season in the quality of football that he has had the team playing has been astounding compared to what went before-the three loan players Cassidy,Palmer and Gibson have all made outstanding contributions.Whether we can keep any of them after January remains to be seen. Whatever happens from now on ,the 17 games so far played have by and large been a joy to behold.How long it will continue,who knows[our next 3 away games are Stevenage,Sheff U and Swindon].

So I will vote 'no' and Division 1 as a result and wish you well for the rest of the season apart from the return game.

Edited by wavy

I remember the season after under Sheridan for about half the season till about February you were beating the living daylights out of teams and looking like champions and then you bizarrely tailed off, scraping 6th when at one point you looked like you were going to storm it.

The first half of that season we played the best football I've seen us play in my time watching Latics. I have no idea why we tailed off like we did, it was just as if we ran out of steam.

On Moore, there is nothing to suggest from his time here or since he's left the club that he would've got us promoted. Literally nothing. I don't know why this is even still a discussion.

Yep, best football we've seen since the glory days with players that looked crap under Ronnie. I was anti his sacking, I usually am on the basis that it means nothing to say, "give a manager time," unless you are prepared to sit through :censored:e, but looking back he didn't do well for us with a decent budget and a clean slate.

Tbf I thought we were a better side in 02/03, that team would of walked this league the last few years. I look back so fondly on that season.

I thought we shot ourselves in the foot getting rid of him. His hoofball wasn't attractive but people have got to remember we were and still are a league 1 club and not in the Premier league. If it was getting results, which there was the potential at the time then who bloody cares how we play! I don't care how we play as long as it gets results, which equals promotion, more money for the club and more fans. Not the piss pot predicament that we are in now.

that Tranmere team on Saturday was far more effective than the side we had when Moore was our Manager. It was a similar situation with Warnock, I remember our fans baffled as to how he did so well at Sheff Utd but what people didn't realise is that he changed his style of play to suit his players and eventually won promotion

Whi

I am confused as to what RM did when he was here or has done since in the five and a half years since he's left that make people think we'd have finished top two with Sheridan's side. He's been sacked twice since and that lot I saw yesterday won't be going up this season.

Whilst I agree there is certainly no guarentee we would have finished top 2 or play offs even, I was confused at the time as to why a manager would be sacked for taking a team from the brink of relegation to then finishing about 10th. Confused me then, confuses me now.

But as said, lets move on - far too much harping back to the past.

Edited by pukka

Does anyone know Ronnie's team at the time?...it would be interesting to see if any of his players went higher.

roughly it was

Grant/Day

Forbes, Branston, Haining/Scott

Liddell, Butcher/Hughes, Wellens, Eyres/Edwards

Porter, Beckett Warne

Edited by Tommy_Fent