Eintracht Frankfurt

Made my first trip over there at the weekend was around 25 of us in total. Gotta to say really enjoyed it we where made to feel very welcome saw a good game and already looking forward to my next trip. I would recommend to any OLDHAM fan wanting to go over to do so.

Be nice when the fourth stand is finally rebuilt if we where to open it with a game against these although i dont see it happening.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tend to follow their results and watch the odd game online, they've started to stutter a bit of late but they've been fantastic for most of the season.

I intend to go over to Germany sometime in the future and take a couple of Bundesliga games in, and Eintracht would probably be on the list. What's Frankfurt like as a city?

Frankfurt is a wonderful City, a massive high street much like Manchester with all similar shops and stuff like that, there's the river running near to the city centre (which ofcourse is the 'financial capital of europe'. you can see the ground from the top of the kommerzbank building I think, I went in March with school but would love to go to a game!

I went to Hertha last month to take in the St Pauli game and completely fell in love with German football. I won't be back at Boundary Park until Boxing Day and I'm worried it will be even more of a disappointment than usual after savouring the atmosphere in the Ostkurve at such an amazing stadium.

The Germans are bloody lucky football fans. :drinking45:

I went to Hertha last month to take in the St Pauli game and completely fell in love with German football. I won't be back at Boundary Park until Boxing Day and I'm worried it will be even more of a disappointment than usual after savouring the atmosphere in the Ostkurve at such an amazing stadium.

Agreed with you, good sir!

Tickets pretty damn cheap over there, aren't they?

Edited by AnthonyOAFC

Agreed with you, good sir!

Tickets pretty damn cheap over there, aren't they?

They are! After buying the ticket, paying for the international payment charge and buying a rail ticket from central Berlin to the Olympiastadion I had still paid less than I would for a ticket to a Latics home game.

Lucky in terms of price and stadium facilities but they make the atmosphere themselves!

I'd love to experience Borussia Dortmund's stadium. Anybody been there? From the tele it looks like the best in Europe.

Made my first trip over there at the weekend was around 25 of us in total. Gotta to say really enjoyed it we where made to feel very welcome saw a good game and already looking forward to my next trip. I would recommend to any OLDHAM fan wanting to go over to do so.

Be nice when the fourth stand is finally rebuilt if we where to open it with a game against these although i dont see it happening.

Let me know if you are going again soon Tom, I have holiday to use...

1860 Munich play when I'm over there in March.

Has anybody been there (or to watch Bayern)? Any tips on where to get tickets for etc..?

I saw 1860 a few years ago and sadly it is one of the few German grounds where, despite their best efforts, the ground is just far too big. We just rocked up and paid in (although you do have to be careful with using this policy, as it only just worked at Nuremburg {sold out, bought tickets off a rubbish tout} and failed at Dresden). I'd be amazed if they sell out any second division game in that stadium though. However, to be sure you could try online (main website, nearer the time) and pick up at the stadium. For that I'd try contacting them direct: tickets@tsv1860.de, and finding out when they go on sale and if they'd mind awfully helping you out nearer the time (as the website is in German - unless you can speak German that is).

They are! After buying the ticket, paying for the international payment charge and buying a rail ticket from central Berlin to the Olympiastadion I had still paid less than I would for a ticket to a Latics home game.

Generally the rail ticket is covered by the ticket. This works for all non-ICE trains in Germany. So you can travel half the length of Germany on a football ticket as long as you use regional trains (unless things have changed recently). This includes the Second Division tickets I believe. The only thing is you have to have your ticket with you, meaning you have to get it delivered, which can be more expensive than their cheap rail system and picking it up at the ground.

I liked Hertha, but it did put across what you need to do when going to watch German football. Find out where the main home bunch generally congregate and get a ticket as close as you can to (or in with) them (generally a standing section at one end of the ground). Small/full grounds it doesnt matter, but when in a Hertha/Cologne where it isn't likely to be full it is a bit of a must.

Hertha Berlin on the Sunday - 1230 uk time which I think is 130 their time(?) . flight back is at 6pm

That won't be the official time yet (as far as I can tell they've released the fictures until mid-February), so take care with this one if your flight is so close. It's a pretty big game so may well get shifted for telly. This would mean a Friday 5pm kickoff or a Monday night kickoff (7.45pm). Even if it is not on telly, it is as likely to be on a Saturday as a Sunday (12 and 12.30 respectively).

There are loads of games on in Germany though, if this isn't timed right - and many can be reached from Munich (and Unterhaching I think are at home on the Saturday).

Generally the rail ticket is covered by the ticket. This works for all non-ICE trains in Germany. So you can travel half the length of Germany on a football ticket as long as you use regional trains (unless things have changed recently). This includes the Second Division tickets I believe. The only thing is you have to have your ticket with you, meaning you have to get it delivered, which can be more expensive than their cheap rail system and picking it up at the ground.

I liked Hertha, but it did put across what you need to do when going to watch German football. Find out where the main home bunch generally congregate and get a ticket as close as you can to (or in with) them (generally a standing section at one end of the ground). Small/full grounds it doesnt matter, but when in a Hertha/Cologne where it isn't likely to be full it is a bit of a must.

Aye I'd heard that about the rail tickets, but I had to pick my match ticket up at the stadium, so never mind, it was only about €2.70 anyway!

I'd also had the same concerns as you as far as half empty stadia goes, so I made sure I got my seat in the middle of the Ostkurve and joined in with the chants I could understand ("Scheiss St Pauli!"). They really made a hell of a din, not a bad effort considering they were trying to fill a half empty athletics stadium with noise! And when I say half empty....40,000 at a second tier game versus a mid table team? Not bad at all!

One surreal thing I experienced was the Hertha fans singing along (auf Deutsch of course) to 'We Are Sailing' after the match. Very odd.

Edited by LaticsChris

Let me know if you are going again soon Tom, I have holiday to use...

We should do a proper OASIS trip to Hamburg. Y'know, start on the sauce early, threaten to head over to Millerntor-Stadion for 3pm but spend the rest of the afternoon on Feldstrasse and the Reeperbahn.

1860 Munich play when I'm over there in March.

Has anybody been there (or to watch Bayern)? Any tips on where to get tickets for etc..?

For Bayern, next to near impossible to get tickets for league games. You could try and go up to see if anyone is selling spares, but it's unlikely.

For 1860, you can just turn up and buy tickets on the day. There will be stand numbers above each kiosk so that you know which area of the ground you are queuing for. I usually buy online via http://www.tsv1860-ticketing.de, my German is not the best, fortunately though it's easy to follow online. Plus you can choose your seats, when you queue you get handed whatever seat is first in line. I'd plump for blocks 240/241, which is above the Nordcurve where all the hardcore fans sit and right behind the goal.

The other thing you'll need to grab on the day is a stadium card as the food & beer kiosks do not accept cash. The cards are free and you put on whatever cash you want to spend on the day, you'll see people queuing inside the stadium. A beer is 4€ and food about 5-6€ depending and yes you can drink in the stands, smoke too. That all said, if you need a guide on the day, I'll likely be at the game so would be happy to help.

I know as a club we're paired with Frankfurt, but as I've lived in Munich for the last 10 years, I've become a bit of a fan. We play Dresden on Sunday and I'm hoping that the club will get around to announcing a new manager, we were linked to Sven Goran Eriksson recently, but that has all gone quiet. As for the stadium, yes too big for 1860, but miles better than playing at the Olmypiastadium. The have the Grunwald stadium, but it can only hold 15K, which is nowehere near enough. Biggest crowd I've seen so far this year was 45K on the opening day.

Edited by 3 Lions