Montano Injury Blow

Wasn't all that impressed with Mellor at LM when he played there last season. Think it depends what happens with Wes's suspension, plus the re-signing of Wabara and Baxter.

If Wes receives the 3 matches- I'd rather see PD play Youseff and Mellor CM with Simpson wide left when Furman goes to SA. Think he may keep Youseff wide left for Forest.

If Wabara, whose loan is up after the Forest game IIRC, goes then he can't play Grounds LM and Brown LB as he needs Brown to play RB.

Think whatever happens we might well end up with a square peg in a round hole somewhere PD just has to work out where and who the roundest square peg is.

If Wes receives the 3 matches- I'd rather see PD play Youseff and Mellor CM with Simpson wide left when Furman goes to SA.

Doubt he'll play Mellor there. Think Dickov rates Winchester higher in CM. Also hope he doesn't play Simpson on the left, much rather PD play Hughes on the left.

But as you also said, we're just going to end up with square pegs in round holes.

Wasn't all that impressed with Mellor at LM when he played there last season. Think it depends what happens with Wes's suspension, plus the re-signing of Wabara and Baxter.

If Wes receives the 3 matches- I'd rather see PD play Youseff and Mellor CM with Simpson wide left when Furman goes to SA. Think he may keep Youseff wide left for Forest.

If Wabara, whose loan is up after the Forest game IIRC, goes then he can't play Grounds LM and Brown LB as he needs Brown to play RB.

Think whatever happens we might well end up with a square peg in a round hole somewhere PD just has to work out where and who the roundest square peg is.

Croft? :shifty:

I'm not a fan of shoe-horning players into positions merely because they're deemed better players than others. It's all about specific roles and positions for me.

Montano is now out, so a natural replacement is needed for the LM/LW position. Rather than simply putting Simpson in there as a way of getting him in the side, I'd much prefer to see Connor Hughes get a run there. It's his position, and he's show in the glimpses he's been allowed to show in fleeting cameos that he has a very good delivery, and doesn't bottle out of challenges (unlike the lad he's hopefully replacing)

If we have another CM slot up for grabs if Weso's suspension does indeed happen, again; rather than putting Simpson in that role; I'd prefer to play people who actually play that position. Either of Mellor or Winchester would be my choice; and of those 2 - for me, it's Mellor who should get the nod.

Yep, it does look thread bare if it's lined up like this:

Croft M'Changama Mellor Hughes

BUT - with Furman away, Montano injured & Wes likely suspended, I dont see how else it should look. Players put into the positions they play; rather than the usual square pegs shoe-horned into unfamiliar roles.

Doubt he'll play Mellor there. Think Dickov rates Winchester higher in CM. Also hope he doesn't play Simpson on the left, much rather PD play Hughes on the left.

But as you also said, we're just going to end up with square pegs in round holes.

This manager's track record shows he prefers square pegs.

Won't happen, but here's a suggestion. Croft, Winch/Mellor, Changy in midfield, with Simpson, Smith, Baxter up top.

A more fluid, flexible 4-3-3 that might allow cautious Dickov to keep his full-backs deeper, so we're less likely to get caught on the break. Croft and Chang could use their wing experience to offer a bit of width in possession, yet they also have a bit of strength and can pick a pass. But if they got forward, they could almost 'overlap' Simpson and Baxter - who could otherwise roam up top but in this instance slip slightly back so Croft and MChang don't leave big holes.

Leaving Smith up top gives us an outlet and, with Simpson and Baxter up there hovering when we hit it long, there'd be more chance of picking up knock-downs.

And if it all went to pot, or we wanted to vary things during the game to keep Forest guessing, Simpson just drops deeper, Croft and MChang go wide - and we're back to a 4-4-2.