Dickov - is he a lame duck?

I still want him to succeed, but I don't think he will.

It would appear that the removal of his back room staff was the chairman's decision.

The reaction of fans to going 2-0 down at Scunthorpe suggests any real love-in is long gone. And I can safely predict that we will be in similar positions in future matches,

My own instincts are that Corney has done this for the right reasons. He believes Dickov can, with the right support, deliver.

But I can't help thinking that whoever he chooses as his number two will be first team manager by May.

I'm assuming Dickov is a relatively wealthy man. I would expect him to be able to find work in football or media with relative ease. If I was in the same position I would either have walked by now or would be giving it deep thought - a match free 6 days after Forest may yet see the outcome of his thinking.

As a player he was a tenacious bugger. He probably got more out of his game than his talent alone merited. This approach to life may be the reason he remains as manager. Admiral qualities in some respects. Not necessarily best for Latics though.

He may see it as an opportunity to reinvigorate himself with a fresh approach to Latics. Be what he was when he arrived.

We will see how the situation evolves. Lose to Forest, Baxter moving on and no possibility of Derbyshire returning might yet be a combination that sees him pack his bags. I would if I was in his position.

Edited by opinions4u

It would appear that the removal of his back room staff was the chairman's decision.

The reaction of fans to going 2-0 down at Scunthorpe suggests any real love-in is long gone. And I can safely predict that we will be in similar positions in future matches,

My own instincts are that Corney has done this for the right reasons. He believes Dickov can, with the right support, deliver.

But I can't help thinking that whoever he chooses as his number two will be first team manager by May.

I'm assuming Dickov is a relatively wealthy man. I would expect him to be able to find work in football or media with relative ease. If I was in the same position I would either have walked by now or would be giving it deep thought - a match free 6 days after Forest may yet see the outcome of his thinking.

As a player he was a tenacious bugger. He probably got more out of his game than his talent alone merited. This approach to life may be the reason he remains as manager. Admiral qualities in some respects. Not necessarily best for Latics though.

He may see it as an opportunity to reinvigorate himself with a fresh approach to Latics. Be what he was when he arrived.

We will see how the situation evolves. Lose to Forest, Baxter moving on and no possibility of Derbyshire returning might yet be a combination that sees him pack his bags. I would if I was in his position.

Well O4U, I wanted him out at when we hit that horrid form at at the end of 2011 beginning of 2012. He is well out of his depth then and he hasnt learnt a bean.

If you take a chance on a rookie you need experience in the background, he should have never been given a free reign to choose his own backroom staff.

It depends on Dickov and who is brought in? In business, the brightest and the best are often mentored by the more experienced and in theory, it would make sense for this to happen with Dickov. However, we are talking about football and the massive egos that come with it. Is there someone who can mentor Dickov without assuming control and will Dickov allow himself to be mentored or will he just view it as him being pushed out. Even if they do have the right attitude, how will the media and the fans view it? If we do well, it could be viewed as being down to the new guy. If we do badly, is it the end of PD anyway? On the other hand, could PD take a step back into a coaching role to what David Platt has done?

Edited by jimsleftfoot

What was the reaction at 0-2 Scunthorpe? At Glanford Park there were grumblings, shouts of 'FFS' etc but there were no chants for the manager's head or anything like that. Those there got behind the side as we put on the pressure and got back into the game.

It's easy to post angry things on a chat room, message board, Twitter or facebook when you're angry at home but that is an instinctive reaction when you are, at least for that particular moment, detached.

It is quickly becoming apparent that the decision to keep PD will be a disaster. Furman's comments to the media about the players shock and disapproval at the recent sackings does not bode well. The captain and senior players should be diplomatic whatever they think in private. PD will never be a manager but he is superb at self-publicity and self-preservation. Clearly he has an easy job to get the players behind him in the power battles to come, whilst he networks to get a cushy coaching job in the Championship and restores his credibiliy. It'll serve Furman right if he doesn't get into the SA team; their manager is hopping mad at the club's refusal to release him after the new year match and he will be down the pecking order after he ambles to join the SA squad.

My thoughts about him as a manager have been well known since 2011. Indeed, I got shot down by some experienced posters on here for my views : views they now appear to share! My thoughts still haven't changed.

But, I'd love nothing more than more him to turn this around. He looked a beaten man at 2-0 on Tuesday and I genuinely felt sorry for him.

He won't quit. He's not a quitter.

Your title asked the question 'Dickov - is he a lame duck?'

According to Wikipaedia the phrase lame duck was coined in the 18th century at the London Stock Exchange, to refer to a stockbroker who defaulted on his debts. In the literal sense, it refers to a duck which is unable to keep up with its flock, making it a target for predators.

If he wasn't already, PD is definitely a target now - his predators are circling...a win at Forest will bring in cash and buy him time - a defeat...?

Edited by TheBigDog

It's easy to post angry things on a chat room, message board, Twitter or facebook when you're angry at home but that is an instinctive reaction when you are, at least for that particular moment, detached.

Good point.

I tend to use Twitter to gauge what is happening, as it is more instantaneous, but it really cannot compare to being at the game itself and it is best to wait until the fans that were actually there, get the opportunity to post their opinions on the forum.

What was the reaction at 0-2 Scunthorpe? At Glanford Park there were grumblings, shouts of 'FFS' etc but there were no chants for the manager's head or anything like that. Those there got behind the side as we put on the pressure and got back into the game.

While I take your point, fewer than 300 Latics fans at the game (albeit with a true view of what was happening) against a few thousand following the score on social media, Sky, BBC, radio or just picking it up on the net later on in the evening also have a voice.

The reaction I witnessed was pretty sharp and pretty severe. The lads turned it round and picked up a point. Thank God.

But you know any decision to keep or fire isn't based on away support. It's based on potential home support.

Edited by opinions4u

Genuine questions can anyone see a win in next 3 league games?

Brentford home

Coventry Away

Notts County Away

I personally cant. That leaves us with no win in 8 and means would have to beat Yeovil at home who are currently 9th and flying at the moment, in no way is that a banker home win but then nothing is with Latics. Throw into that we are unlikely to beat Forest and thats no win in 9 in all competitions.

Its not that we are not winning games its the piss poor effort and preformances of late, if he hasnt lost the changing room he must be just a whisker away from it

Appoint a new boss try and install a feel good factor at the club however and make the players have to prove themselves to a new management team and that might just see us pick up 4points from them 3 games

Cant see how anyone can claim PD should stay he has to go but until then I will support him.

Other than that pay for your season ticket next season by simply lumping on Oldham to go down, anyone know the current price?

Edited by laticdickovarmy

While I take your point, fewer than 300 Latics fans at the game (albeit with a true view of what was happening) against a few thousand following the score on social media, Sky, BBC, radio or just picking it up on the net later on in the evening also have a voice.

The reaction I witnessed was pretty sharp and pretty severe. The lads turned it round and picked up a point. Thank God.

But you know any decision to keep or fire isn't based on away support. It's based on potential home support.

If the club ever use or take notice Twitter postings under the #oafc hashtag as a way of gauging supporters feelings then they may as well give up. Until people start being issued with a license to use it following some sort of test, it will never provide any kind of balance that should be viewed seriously in any way.

Genuine questions can anyone see a win in next 3 league games?

Brentford home

Coventry Away

Notts County Away

I personally cant. That leaves us with no win in 8 and means would have to beat Yeovil at home who are currently 9th and flying at the moment, in no way is that a banker home win but then nothing is with Latics. Throw into that we are unlikely to beat Forest and thats no win in 9 in all competitions.

Its not that we are not winning games its the piss poor effort and preformances of late, if he hasnt lost the changing room he must be just a whisker away from it

Appoint a new boss try and install a feel good factor at the club however and make the players have to prove themselves to a new management team and that might just see us pick up 4points from them 3 games

Cant see how anyone can claim PD should stay he has to go but until then I will support him.

Other than that pay for your season ticket next season by simply lumping on Oldham to go down, anyone know the current price?

I would take 4 points from the 3 games listed. Shrewburys win at cov proves they are beatable the moment. We certainly have some very tough games on paper coming up.

The element that isn't clear to me is PD's input into choosing the replacements. He mentioned this week that he hadn't thought about who to recruit.

Is he selecting from a list of names provided by the board or does he have more scope than that? Only the former makes some sort of sense and, even then, I would thought it would have been solely the board's choice given that they took the decision to get rid of the previous set.

Guest Scratch2000uk

Did anyone else hear Jeff Stelling saying that Latics had sacked PD's backroom staff and that PD himself was up for review at a later stage, after we went one down at Scunny.? Misinformed or summat more to it?

If the club ever use or take notice Twitter postings under the #oafc hashtag as a way of gauging supporters feelings then they may as well give up. Until people start being issued with a license to use it following some sort of test, it will never provide any kind of balance that should be viewed seriously in any way.

Not saying they should. But they should always take into account supporters in their decision making. That doesn't mean they have to do what supporters think they want at a particular moment in time - but they do need to consider what supporters want / say / feel etc.

Guest Scratch2000uk

Not saying they should. But they should always take into account supporters in their decision making. That doesn't mean they have to do what supporters think they want at a particular moment in time - but they do need to consider what supporters want / say / feel etc.

I think they take notice of what's said on here,If you think about it over the last month or so,,Fans on here have been saying that Butler's not fit for purpose, And Taggart's too busy supping his cups'0'tea and although Dicko's been getting some stick, Quite a few seem to have a soft spot for him. Including Corney and Co.

I think they take notice of what's said on here,If you think about it over the last month or so,,Fans on here have been saying that Butler's not fit for purpose, And Taggart's too busy supping his cups'0'tea and although Dicko's been getting some stick, Quite a few seem to have a soft spot for him. Including Corney and Co.

And the art is knowing when "what's said on here" is fair, honest, consistent and not just a knee-jerk reaction to a flukey late goal by Bogthorpe Town, or just some nutter spouting off for the sake of it.

Not to forget that not every fan used owtb.

Edited by opinions4u

If this is the case then I would urge to club to take note that they can end all of this talk by firing the manager. He is a nice bloke but im sure there are 100 other blokes out there who are nice and could do the same standard of job as Dickov working in non-league capacity, that should not be enough to keep him in charge.

They sack him they potentially remove a lot of this negativity for a while and build an excitement of going into a new era aswell as a buzz over who the new bloke will be.

I look at it as someone who is in the undecided stage of wether they would renew their season ticket next season and given the dribble served up by PD team's of which he has now had over 50plus players brought into the club at that time and I have to say I wouldnt renew.

When the diehard are questioning their reasons for going and lets be honest that is all what is left in 80% of our fans case (diehard) in terms of home support then you are in the poo.

I think Oldham fans are majorily realistic in that we know anything in the top half is fantastic and avoiding relegation is the main aim but realism also say to me keep him and fans a) wont come back B) will get fed up and not go anymore c) turn on Corney in the end if little is done d) have to watch league 2 football is less years than he has been here already

Its not nice sacking anyone (other than Penny) but he should be sacked and I dont want the bull:censored: he gets the players in as he has only signed maybe 5-7 good players in 2.5 years here and how many of them can we honestly say he got the best out of them?

Did anyone else hear Jeff Stelling saying that Latics had sacked PD's backroom staff and that PD himself was up for review at a later stage, after we went one down at Scunny.? Misinformed or summat more to it?

I heard him say that Gerrard was up for review at a later stage. I also heard him muse, 'Oldham have scored and Paul Dickov celebrates with...well, no one..'

Guest Scratch2000uk

If this is the case then I would urge to club to take note that they can end all of this talk by firing the manager. He is a nice bloke but im sure there are 100 other blokes out there who are nice and could do the same standard of job as Dickov working in non-league capacity, that should not be enough to keep him in charge.

They sack him they potentially remove a lot of this negativity for a while and build an excitement of going into a new era aswell as a buzz over who the new bloke will be.

I look at it as someone who is in the undecided stage of wether they would renew their season ticket next season and given the dribble served up by PD team's of which he has now had over 50plus players brought into the club at that time and I have to say I wouldnt renew.

When the diehard are questioning their reasons for going and lets be honest that is all what is left in 80% of our fans case (diehard) in terms of home support then you are in the poo.

I think Oldham fans are majorily realistic in that we know anything in the top half is fantastic and avoiding relegation is the main aim but realism also say to me keep him and fans a) wont come back B) will get fed up and not go anymore c) turn on Corney in the end if little is done d) have to watch league 2 football is less years than he has been here already

Its not nice sacking anyone (other than Penny) but he should be sacked and I dont want the bull:censored: he gets the players in as he has only signed maybe 5-7 good players in 2.5 years here and how many of them can we honestly say he got the best out of them?

I feel they have kept him in the hope of keeping the loanees he's brought in, or at least to get an extension on the current loans they have, Let's face it, without them we're in even deeper trouble than we are now.

OP4 i totally get what you mean, but there are some level headed folk who talk sense on here, and as Corney & Co use this forum, I suspect they respect their opinions too.

Guest Scratch2000uk

I heard him say that Gerrard was up for review at a later stage. I also heard him muse, 'Oldham have scored and Paul Dickov celebrates with...well, no one..'

This tinnitus doesn't help. thanks.

I find it really quite incredible the guy's still manager. I wonder how long Dickov would have stuck with Taggart if the board hadn't intervened.

We waited for several weeks at the start of Dickov's reign to secure Taggart's services and he probably didn't come cheap. If Dickov thought for one minute that Taggart and Dux were the problem he surely would have got shut of them himself.

I think Dickov has been massively undermined here and I think it's inevitable he will be gone before the seasons end!