Baxter hopes "fading"

Meh, quality players come and go, we've been in this position a million times of recent seasons (Abbot, Abbot, Abbot, Abbot, Abbot, Abbot, Abbot, Abbot, Abbot and now Abbott) whether he stays or not, something else will turn up.

Got him on the cheap, he's done a job, if he moves on then it was still a successful signing.

FTFY

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's just a job. :dntknw:

It's a job. But it's a job unlike one that any of us know about. None of us know anything about what it's actually like to be a professional sportsman. What it's like to score a goal. What it's like the have a few thousand people worship you. Or what the allure of playing against Liverpool would actually be. It's nothing like a big meeting in work, and shouldn't be spoken about like it is. Unless of course somebody has a meeting coming up in front of a 10k strong crowd, a TV audience in the millions and a chance to progress to the next round of the meetings cup, and the glory/cult hero status that could possibly accompany it.

It's a job. But it's a job unlike one that any of us know about. None of us know anything about what it's actually like to be a professional sportsman. What it's like to score a goal. What it's like the have a few thousand people worship you. Or what the allure of playing against Liverpool would actually be. It's nothing like a big meeting in work, and shouldn't be spoken about like it is. Unless of course somebody has a meeting coming up in front of a 10k strong crowd, a TV audience in the millions and a chance to progress to the next round of the meetings cup, and the glory/cult hero status that could possibly accompany it.

Equally most of them don't have the first clue about how our jobs and all that they entail "feel" to us. It's just a job.

Being a footballer is quite like my job:

Your colleagues all wear the same colour uniform

Random members of the public feel entitled to call you a c-word

Wild speculation goes around about what you get bonused on

Work in the open air, getting plenty of exercise

You get on in the papers and TV occasionally

When skanks hear what your job is they immediately put out in a travel lodge

Although I put a false one in there to see if anyone noticed

Dave I should know better than to argue with you but I do it anyway... I think you're romanticising being a professional footballer. I appreciate that the two are not directly the same, but they are comparable. It's, like most things in life, about making a cost/benefit decision and weighing up risk and I think the idea that footballers should be loyal is antiquated.

Whilst I might not get on TV or in the papers many of the things I (and I don't doubt others) do at work get me exposure to those above me and in other areas of the business and it's about selling myself to them and showing the skills I offer. Would I take on one last project in my current role which had the chance to make me look an idiot and thus cost me a job with the new area of the business or would I say 'no thanks' and wait out those couple of weeks and move to a pay rise etc. etc. - I'd move, and there in lies the comparison.

I am sure that Baxter would love to play against Liverpool but why would he risk being stuck without a club with a broken leg, if he's got a contract in front of him (which by the end of the month he will have, from several clubs) worth £200,000 a year for three years? He wouldn't, is the answer, in my opinion. And I wouldn't begrudge him that.

Unless of course somebody has a meeting coming up in front of a 10k strong crowd, a TV audience in the millions and a chance to progress to the next round of the meetings cup, and the glory/cult hero status that could possibly accompany it.

This time last year I'd have been raising my hand and going ooh, ooh, me, me.

Now no one knows me from Adam, fame is a fickle beast.

It is not impossible to keep him. Latics can now offer him more money per week. If he worries about getting injured then he will never be the player he can be. Playing against Liverpool is an opportunity he would be daft to miss especially as with him we have an even better chance to beat them.

People dont forget Jose is a football man and playing games is the key thing for him.

He had a deal on the table at everton and turned that down. Crystal Palace didnt work out and we gave him what he needed.

Dont be suprised if he signs until the end of the season! Keep The Faith.

Dave I should know better than to argue with you but I do it anyway... I think you're romanticising being a professional footballer. I appreciate that the two are not directly the same, but they are comparable. It's, like most things in life, about making a cost/benefit decision and weighing up risk and I think the idea that footballers should be loyal is antiquated.

Whilst I might not get on TV or in the papers many of the things I (and I don't doubt others) do at work get me exposure to those above me and in other areas of the business and it's about selling myself to them and showing the skills I offer. Would I take on one last project in my current role which had the chance to make me look an idiot and thus cost me a job with the new area of the business or would I say 'no thanks' and wait out those couple of weeks and move to a pay rise etc. etc. - I'd move, and there in lies the comparison.

I am sure that Baxter would love to play against Liverpool but why would he risk being stuck without a club with a broken leg, if he's got a contract in front of him (which by the end of the month he will have, from several clubs) worth £200,000 a year for three years? He wouldn't, is the answer, in my opinion. And I wouldn't begrudge him that.

I've not really romanticized about anything... everything that I have said there has happened to Baxter. And these are things which won't happen in our job. And nothing would be close to it. You might think impressing your superiors would be like having a good game in front of the TV cameras. But it isn't.

I've said that football is not like any other job, and shouldn't be compared to any other job (well, except maybe that of other professional sportsmen).

There will be plenty of things which Baxter will be taking into consideration other than just more money. Plenty of things which wouldn't apply (or anything like them) in any of our jobs. Likewise, if I was offered a new job, there would be considerations I would need to make, that a football player wouldn't ever think of.

I'm not saying that playing football isn't a job for these guys. But it is unique. There is hardly anything like it, and I don't think we should fall into the trap of comparing their careers with our own.

For what its worth, I think Baxter will leave. He will be offered a lot of things that we can't offer him, which isn't just money. Though I do agree with the manager. Staying until the end of the season could be a very wise move for him in the long term.

Like i say i dont have anything personal against the lad and am a huge fan of him, but i hate players who say one thing and do another, should have a bit more respect for the fans than that.

I suppose its a bit like clubs saying one thing to a player and then doing the total opposite: happens alot.

If he was going to stay at this stage, with our extra revenue and attractive cup tie , I would have thought there would be no reason to delay.

The deal would be done , and just get on and concentrate on the games left.

Looks like the transfer to wherever will appear after Saturday's game imo .........always presuming hs hasn't already played his last match for us.

Our only hope now imo is some 'big club' loaning him back till the end of the year.