Matt Smith - new contract

Matt Smith  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Would you offer Matt Smith a new contract?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. If so, how long would you offer?

• 1 year
    • 2 years
    • 3 years
    • 4 years
    • 5 years
    • N/A - would not offer him a contract

With Smith out of contract at the end of the season, would you offer him a new one? And if so, just another year to see if he fulfils his potential or longer run the risk of possibly getting a higher fee if he does reach his potential?

Irrespective of the cup heroics he has shown enough in the last couple of months to prove that he is coming along and playing in a style and manner that he should be to make the most of his assets. Some, prior to Liverpool, were still saying he was :censored: and no doubt a few of them still feel the heroics are a flash in the pan.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm very happy to have been proved wrong. I really didn't think he could cut it; didn't use his height or strength, finishing was way off, I couldn't see what he offered. Of course now he's shown he's improving at all of those things and can offer us something different up front. While I don't think he's the finished article, he's done enough to earn a new deal.

I guess this is the positive side of fans having opinions about players. Sometimes we get proved totally wrong, get to see what the scouts and coaches and managers see that we don't, and reminded that playing Football Manager doesn't make us experts.

I still can't believe he's the same donkey I've watched for the last 18 months. I had him wrote off as our worst ever striker but, if he carries on his 2013 form, he'll do for me.

As a side note, I actually thought he played better at Forest than he did against Liverpool or yesterday when he came on.

If this poll had been a few months ago I suspect the results would have been the complete opposite I must admit I had my doubts about him even when he was at Droylsden, but full credit to him for toughening up and taking on board all the good coaching advice.

It shows with sheer determination many obstacles can be overcome, and I hope other Latics youths take a leaf out of his book.

I know of one player who played with Matt at Droylsden who Matt will say himself has skills that would grace the Premieship, yet he's still in non league at Halifax. It's a funny old game.

Edited by BP1960

Dickov says on TV that been getting him to attack the ball as was doing standing jumps. Think this has made a massive difference.

I missed him saying that, but one thing I did find interesting that that chimes with was how much Dickov clearly knew the limitations in his players. If he said that about Smith, and he also mentioned that Mvoto can lose concentration and make mistakes, it's more evidence that the man wasn't blind to what fans might think he missed.

As a side note, I actually thought he played better at Forest than he did against Liverpool or yesterday when he came on.

First time we got the ball coming to him at an angle or sideways rather than straight up the pitch? He's bloody dreadful at receiving the straight hoof, if he has a chance to attack the ball he creates a problem.

He's definitely changed my opinions on him, been top class and showed lots of effort since getting his chance, I would give him a 2 year deal personally. But could someone answer me this question, why do we leave all contract negotiations till the end of the season, surely it is better trying to get him to sign a new contract now than trying at the end of the season with the risk of someone having a chance on him and snapping him up on a free

He's definitely changed my opinions on him, been top class and showed lots of effort since getting his chance, I would give him a 2 year deal personally. But could someone answer me this question, why do we leave all contract negotiations till the end of the season, surely it is better trying to get him to sign a new contract now than trying at the end of the season with the risk of someone having a chance on him and snapping him up on a free

In case they are crap? And we will get money for him if he goes on a free anyway, especially after all this exposure

Who's that? Dan Gardner?

Yes Dan, now playing superbly for Halifax even at only 80% fit after his long term injury. I talked to one of his team mates who said his ability was awesome.

If anyone subscribes to Latics Player they can sign into the Halifax Town Player and watch extended highlights including some fabulous goals he's scored recently. The Gareth Bale of non league.

It's one of those conundrums as to why someone with his sublime skills isn't playing at least Division One football.

He's a quiet lad off the field and perhaps he doesn't believe in himself as much as others do ?

Edited by BP1960

If this poll had been a few months ago I suspect the results would have been the complete opposite I must admit I had my doubts about him even when he was at Droylsden, but full credit to him for toughening up and taking on board all the good coaching advice.

It shows with sheer determination many obstacles can be overcome, and I hope other Latics youths take a leaf out of his book.

I know of one player who played with Matt at Droylsden who Matt will say himself has skills that would grace the Premieship, yet he's still in non league at Halifax. It's a funny old game.

Is that Dan Gardner? Believe he's scored 4 in the last 3 for Halifax.

I still can't believe he's the same donkey I've watched for the last 18 months. I had him wrote off as our worst ever striker but, if he carries on his 2013 form, he'll do for me.

I have missed a number of away games but he was excellent when he came on at Pompey too.

Is that Dan Gardner? Believe he's scored 4 in the last 3 for Halifax.

5 in 4 from midfield after last Saturday, he's also created twice as many and is no where near fully fit yet.

I see Halifax have to play matches at Spotland now after the poor state of their pitch, my bet is being right under their noses Rochdale will snap him up and he will go on to emulate Ricky Lambert and Grant Holt..and those two haven't anywhere near his skill on the ball, not even Jose Baxter can do some of the things he can.

I know Dan and Matt are good mates so maybe Latics will give him a chance ?

Edited by BP1960

David Moyes paid him a massive compliment by bringing on a tall defender specifically to mark him. When you have a Premiership manager doing that it's a sign that you can go higher than League 1 Oldham. I'll hold my hand up and say I didnt think he had that about him, but don't think he was as bad as some on here thought. Because I think someone may take a gamble on him is why I would like to offer him a 5 year deal in order to maximise the transfer fee.

5 in 4 from midfield after last Saturday, he's also created twice as many and is no where near fully fit yet.

I see Halifax have to play matches at Spotland now after the poor state of their pitch, my bet is being right under their noses Rochdale will snap him up and he will go on to emulate Ricky Lambert and Grant Holt..and those two haven't anywhere near his skill on the ball.

I know Dan and Matt are good mates so maybe Latics will give him a chance ?

I haven't managed to get down to see him yet, really want to though. And yes Halifax do have to do that, it doesn't help that they have the rugby playing on there too coupled with the bad weather over here. Is he good enough for Latics?

I haven't managed to get down to see him yet, really want to though. And yes Halifax do have to do that, it doesn't help that they have the rugby playing on there too coupled with the bad weather over here. Is he good enough for Latics?

He has skills many in the Premiership would die for and is a delight to watch in full flight, he also scores goals for fun from midfield and would do so against any opposition,

However, I have always been concerned about his fitness levels in the past and on top of that he's now recovering from an injury lay off of over 6 months.

Class is class though and the feeling is once he's in league football the sky's the limit.

Edited by BP1960

He has skills many in the Premiership would die for and is a delight to watch in full flight, he also scores goals for fun from midfield and would do so against any opposition,

However, I have always been concerned about his fitness levels in the past and on top of that he's now recovering from an injury lay off of over 6 months.

Class is class though and the feeling is once he's in league football the sky's the limit.

I believe that during his lay off he attempted a comeback and got injured after coming on as a sub, or something along those lines. It sounds as though he is showing his ability now that he's playing though, which can only be good!