Matt Smith - new contract

Matt Smith  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Would you offer Matt Smith a new contract?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. If so, how long would you offer?

• 1 year
    • 2 years
    • 3 years
    • 4 years
    • 5 years
    • N/A - would not offer him a contract

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Confidence player who is now showing his true form. Play to his strengths and he'll deliver....frustrating is that we never did, he struggled and was soon dropped to cameo appearances.

Always said he was a quality player and we needed to be patient.

He's a grounded and intelligent guy and I suspect would demonstrate the same loyalty that Jose has shown.

Give him the new contract......

Am I the only one of this opinion?;

The guys been rubbish ALL season, all of a sudden he has 2 very good games (albeit yes, against Premier League opponents) and people think he's the best thing since slide bread!

Nobody seems to remember the countless League 1 defenders that have had him firmly in their pockets this season, and last too.

I'll leave you with this stat.

The guys a STRIKER and he's scored 6 goals in 53 appearances.

Believe me if he scores 20 league goals next year I'll be the first to bake myself a steaming hot Humble Pie with custard, but so far I'm not convinced

Am I the only one of this opinion?;

The guys been rubbish ALL season, all of a sudden he has 2 very good games (albeit yes, against Premier League opponents) and people think he's the best thing since slide bread!

Nobody seems to remember the countless League 1 defenders that have had him firmly in their pockets this season, and last too.

I'll leave you with this stat.

The guys a STRIKER and he's scored 6 goals in 53 appearances.

Believe me if he scores 20 league goals next year I'll be the first to bake myself a steaming hot Humble Pie with custard, but so far I'm not convinced

10 minute cameos chasing a lost cause?

Soccerbase statistics tell a story:

http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=59625

17 starts.

48 substitute appearances.

10 goals.

10 goals from 17 starts is pretty good.

I'm not saying Matt Smith is a 20 goal a season striker. But his height, utilised properly, will get goals.

Edited by opinions4u

A good indicator would be minutes on the pitch divided by goals

2791 minutes divided by 11 goals = 1 goal every 270 minutes

270 minutes = 3 full matches

which equates to 1 goal every 3 matches

So if he plays a full 46 league matches that's about 15 goals

Throw in all the cup matches he's around a 20 goals a season man.

Just what we need. :)

http://www.footballd....122552.en.html

Edited by BP1960

*Forgot to add, by the same reckoning he could also score 3 own goals a season. :wacko:

Edited by BP1960

10 goals in 2403 minutes for Latics. A goal every 2.67 full games. That's a decent record.

10 goals in 2403 minutes for Latics. A goal every 2.67 full games. That's a decent record.

Considering how many of those minutes have been spent with aimless points straight down the pitch at him it's bloody good. Teams will be :censored:ting themselves of letting crosses over to him now, so keeping wingers high and wide should allow the likes of a pushed up Furman or Baxter to get right at them.

Do't forget the goals he will create for others ala furman on tuesday. Defenders can't handle him because he's bigger than them! Play to his strengths and he will continue to perform well and score/create goals.

Under pd smith was often isolated with nobody near him to pick up the pieces. Now all of a sudden we are getting people near him and he's causing problems

Do't forget the goals he will create for others ala furman on tuesday. Defenders can't handle him because he's bigger than them! Play to his strengths and he will continue to perform well and score/create goals.

Under pd smith was often isolated with nobody near him to pick up the pieces. Now all of a sudden we are getting people near him and he's causing problems

I agree with this, but for me the biggest change has that he has been getting crosses or diagonal balls that he can come onto. He's not great (at the moment) at the back to goal role (Drogba after he stopped being a tart for example), but with a run at it I wouldn't want to be defending. The lovely thing about this is that we shouldn't play hoof-ball with him!

I know it's only one game, but against Liverpool that was changed when we PD played Simpson upfront off Smith, with Baxter playing a bit deeper than he usual. It probably would of continued like that had Smith & Simpson not been injured. Could of been a change of ways by Dickov which was shown against Walsall by playing Barnard & Iwelumo upfront with Baxter again playing that bit deeper than usual.