Matty Smith v Chris Iwelumo

Considering 1 is an international with Premier League experience and the other has non league experience I would rather have Matty any day.

I have watched the game a couple of times plus the MK games and CI didnt try and bring the ball down and bring others in to the game just tried cute head ons that went no where....

On the other hand Matty brought the ball down brought people into the game, created chances, proved a threat and obviously scored.....

Thoughts?

Iwelumo is a journeyman who has had his day, he has had a decent career for a reason and has great leadership qualities but he is too slow, no where near as effect in the air as Smith (not many are)

At the end of the day Smith is a permenant player who 99% of us would give a new contract to and Iwelumo is a loan player I certainly wouldn't

Play the big man and get bodies around him

A bit harsh on CI i think, he's been brought into add experience and help us get out of trouble. Against MK I thought he did well, he held it up, flicked it on, brought others into play and encouraged, if we stay up, jobs a gooden, i'd keep the same side going forward now, they'll be absolutely brimming with confidence, bring MS on with 30 mins left, it gave everyone a boost and must panic defenders who have battled hard for an hour with CI to then have another 30 with MS.

What I've seen of CI so far he's been awful. Doesn't even look like a footballer.

Smith has proved his worth as not only a goal scorer but a footballer with his hold up play too.

After the exposure he is currently getting, sides will be double and even triple marking Smith, naturally creating room for the likes of Barnard and Baxter to do their thing.

Smith all day long for me.

I've been giving CI the benefit of the doubt, but Distin bullied him and it was too easy for the Everton Centre-Halves, he won his fair share of flickons but wasn't bringing others into play.

Smithy came on and immediately clashed with Distin, the big lump was looking round rubbing his head - it gave the rest of the team a big lift. After that Distin and Jagielka knew they weren't getting it their own way from then on.

CI has looked ok at times but he needs to up his game as Smithy has again proved given the right direction and coaching (TP) he's a quick learner. The improvement in the physical aspect of his game since the turn of the year is remarkable - but as we've seen he needs a partner up there with him. This is where Dickov failed time and time again in having such a great asset but didn't use him correctly.

Edited by oafcprozac

Smith has needed games and goals and he's had both recently. His goal against Everton was vital not for earning the replay but for marking his comeback from the injury, if ever there was an injury that we didn't need as a club it was Smith's against Liverpool, he'd just hit form, had belief and sharpness only to see himself sidelined through a freak incident. To hit the back of the net on his return will have been a massive lift for the lad and hopefully his goals will see us safe.

He is clearly a popular lad in the dressing room but I wouldn't have blamed the rest of the team having doubts about his ability to do his job and score goals which would have affected whether they passed to him or considered him an option when they had the ball, this shouldn't be the case now. As others have said we do seem to be playing a bit more to his strengths and his efforts to improve areas of his game are paying off.

Why does it always have to be one or the other. Yes I would start Smith against Everton because I felt they panicked when he came on and will be mightily relieved if he doesn't start. Yes I would also start Iwelumo in some of the league games particularly away from home where his experience and skill will pay dividends. I can't see Smith, playing the way he does, being able to play all 15 league, as well as the 4 cup games, and remain fit.

Why does it always have to be one or the other. Yes I would start Smith against Everton because I felt they panicked when he came on and will be mightily relieved if he doesn't start. Yes I would also start Iwelumo in some of the league games particularly away from home where his experience and skill will pay dividends. I can't see Smith, playing the way he does, being able to play all 15 league, as well as the 4 cup games, and remain fit.

I like this optimism.

If Barnard stays fit, then he'll run onto flick-ons from Iwelumo or Smith. Either striker will bully the defender, win flick ons and when they get tired bring the other one on like on saturday.

Smith should be starting at the moment, but if we use both of them well then we'll score some goals.

Iwelumo for me, yes Smith has the cup heroics, but watching the front five vs MK Dons was like a breath of fresh air and Iwelumo was involved throughout that match. Doesn't mean Smith shouldnt get a chance or cant dislodge him from the team but the league is our bread and butter and that team should be given another chance IMO.

Oh Heck has it for me. Iwelumo for the league games; with Smith really pushing hard for the starting spot. Smith's start should come in the replay; he's earned that.

But im a bit surprised at the derision for CI on here. He's been called unfit, lazy, slow, poor in the air and poor on thr floor. I see a completely different player it seems

CI is the kind of player Premier League defenders should have no problem with - experienced journey man making his way down the leagues.

But I think (and the MK Dons game backs this up) that he will give L1 defenders a lot of problems.

It does feel harsh to leave Smith on the bench after his last two performances but what a super-sub to have! Just heard him interviewed by Chappers on 5 Live too, he'd make a decent spokesman for the club.

CI is the kind of player Premier League defenders should have no problem with - experienced journey man making his way down the leagues.

But I think (and the MK Dons game backs this up) that he will give L1 defenders a lot of problems.

It does feel harsh to leave Smith on the bench after his last two performances but what a super-sub to have! Just heard him interviewed by Chappers on 5 Live too, he'd make a decent spokesman for the club.

Footballer with a brain - usually as rare as rocking horse :censored:.

We have 2 University graduates in our squad don't we? Hark at us eh?

Saturday proved that Iwelumo was brought in primarily for the relegation battle rather than the cup run. He was beaten all ends up by Jagielka and Distin whereas Smith (again) made a nuisance of himself.

But he's done OK so far from what I've seen of him in the league and is more savvy than Smith on the ball, despite Smith being a greater aerial presence. While they both target men they offer something different, so we should use them appropriately. For example Stevenage's defence will most likely be gunning for Smith and their centre backs will probably have a few moves they can use on him to make him less effective, so Iwelumo would be a better option to deal with this, whereas Pompey on Saturday are likely to be quite feeble with a makeshift backline and like earlier on in the season have big trouble handling Smith. Horses for courses really.