Who did you contact at the club? And is Dan really that good? I might have to get down to watch him, I only live 10 minutes walk away from the Shay.

I left a report on the teenage prospect at the office.

Dan Gardner is special IMO, you only have to look at the Halifax fans forum (link below) to see how highly he's rated, even his

team mates will tell you with his quality he should be playing at a vxry high level, but as I said in an earlier post he's had

fitness problems after being out for over 6 months and I guess even now he's only at about 80%, even so that's enough for him to dominate matches.

http://www.theshaymen.net/ipb/index.php?/topic/4569-gardner/

Gardner(number 9) scores 2 goals in the video of the recent Dartford v Halifax F.A trophy quarter final, his 2nd goal about 9 minutes into the video is a typical strike.

Edited by BP1960

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Backing up BP1960 on this.

Dan Gardner is a gem and certainly a league footballer playing way below his level. He can score goals like the one on that video at 9 mins for fun, no league 1 keeper would save some of his shots and it's not just a one-off thing. He's can run with the ball well with skill and can pass the ball very well, too which contributes a lot of assists.

Get him on weights and add to his stamina and I've got no doubt he'll make it in League 1.

Watched him weekly at Droylsden for 2 years and he was waist, head and shoulders above that league. Even before I was active on this board I tipped him to be a professional player and with this extra year he's had with Halifax he must have improved more.

Sign him up before somebody else does or we'll regret it.

Edited by NewBlue

Backing up BP1960 on this.

Dan Gardner is a gem and certainly a league footballer playing way below his level. He can score goals like the one on that video at 9 mins for fun, no league 1 keeper would save some of his shots and it's not just a one-off thing. He's can run with the ball well with skill and can pass the ball very well, too which contributes a lot of assists.

Get him on weights and add to his stamina and I've got no doubt he'll make it in League 1.

Watched him weekly at Droylsden for 2 years and he was waist, head and shoulders above that league. Even before I was active on this board I tipped him to be a professional player and with this extra year he's had with Halifax he must have improved more.

Sign him up before somebody else does or we'll regret it.

New Blue is right about fitness, a long term knee injury has really set him back and I'm guessing maybe this is why higher level clubs have been reluctant to make a move for him.

I liken him to Matt Le Tissier in style. Did you notice that exquisite pass about 10mins 18secs into the video, he regularly sprays it around like that.

Edited by BP1960

New Blue is right about fitness, a long term knee injury has really set him back and I'm guessing maybe this is why higher level clubs have been reluctant to make move for him.

I liken him to Matt Le Tissier in style. Did you notice that exquisite pass about 10mins 18secs into the video, he regularly sprays it around like that.

It was real quality - do the league clubs know something we don't though in regards to his fitness? Does he even want to play full time? I know you have tipped him to make a move for a while now, how long before we might miss the opportunity? It would be pretty bad if the club missed out on a potential gem that had been touted so much on the once upon a time official message board, but then again it is Oldham :)

It was real quality - do the league clubs know something we don't though in regards to his fitness? Does he even want to play full time? I know you have tipped him to make a move for a while now, how long before we might miss the opportunity? It would be pretty bad if the club missed out on a potential gem that had been touted so much on the once upon a time official message board, but then again it is Oldham :)

You could have something on the full time angle as I believe he turned down Morecambe to go to Halifax, perhaps it would need a good offer to persuade him to move into league football, a good secure job and part time football can often pay more than most league Division One clubs.

I'm pretty sure he would move to a Championship or Scottish Premier League club if offered.

I know this happened many years ago with Mossley's Brendan Burke (a terrific player), who turned down numerous offers to move into league football for financial reasons.

The 18 year old I have recommended is a different type of player, he can run with the ball from 50 yards leaving players in his wake, then still have the composure to slot the ball into the net. I have one of these runs on video, but won't show it here until the Latics reply to my report.

Edited by BP1960

Do we still have a chief scout? wasn't it Paul Bulter (the non-clipboard one)......but has been put on gardening leave with the others??

I'm always sceptical of reports of non-league players who "should be playing in the championship"......why question is always; why aren't they then?

I know there will be plenty of hard-luck stories out there as to why not (injured whilst on trial etc) but surely - if they're that good in non-league; league teams would be well aware and one of the many mooted as having an interest would make a move??

I've not seen Gardener play, so am really not in a position to comment on his abilities. But - after reportedly having had a decent last season / year with Drolysden, I'd ask why it was a move to another non-league in Halifax that happened, And not a move to a side in L2, L1 or the Championship?

Just interested really, as if he's half as good as BP and NewBlue say; he could be next season M'Changama (ie a very decent back-up / option in CM). But - i just find it strange that if he's that good; one of the 92 havent gone in for him; and he's not already playing league football.

I've not seen Gardener play, so am really not in a position to comment on his abilities. But - after reportedly having had a decent last season / year with Drolysden, I'd ask why it was a move to another non-league in Halifax that happened, And not a move to a side in L2, L1 or the Championship?

Just interested really, as if he's half as good as BP and NewBlue say; he could be next season M'Changama (ie a very decent back-up / option in CM). But - i just find it strange that if he's that good; one of the 92 havent gone in for him; and he's not already playing league football.

Rumour had it that some bigger teams that ourselves went after him when he left Droyslden but rejected offers and decided to stay at Halifax (don't know why that is), then he got injured badly and missed a large chunk of the year when people expected him to be scouted and signed by a league club.

Suppose this happens a lot; player gets injured and they don't regain the form they once had. He has, luckily for him, and it's only a matter of time before he moves onto better things.

We signed Matt Smith on the basis of half-a-season in reality because he'd done nothing before he went to Solihull. There's far better down there in the non-league than him.

Do we still have a chief scout? wasn't it Paul Bulter (the non-clipboard one)......but has been put on gardening leave with the others??

I'm always sceptical of reports of non-league players who "should be playing in the championship"......why question is always; why aren't they then?

I know there will be plenty of hard-luck stories out there as to why not (injured whilst on trial etc) but surely - if they're that good in non-league; league teams would be well aware and one of the many mooted as having an interest would make a move??

As mentioned above Sly Gardner did turn down Morecambe, probably for a better deal at Halifax.

I understand he was personally watched the other night by the manager of a high flying Division One club and scored yet again

(I believe 8 in 9 games from midfield since his return from a long term injury).

My main concern is I always get the impression he's not 100% fit and may have a stamina problem.

I have heard nothing back from the Latics - not even an acknowledgement, on my recent recommendation - an 18 year old striker in

non league (I emailed a video to the club and personally handed in a report to the office), this kid is special and the best I

have seen of his style in the last 30 years. I am absolutely certain he will go on to great things.

It could be the Latics are watching him today in Yorkshire (not Halifax) before getting back to me, so watch this space.

I'll give the Latics another week to reply before posting more details on here.

I just hope he doesn't go elsewhere, if he goes to another club and I don't receive any reply for the time and trouble I went to I will be disgusted with a couple of management staff the club.

Edited by BP1960

Good to know you're still active in scouting despite being retired BP; and still passing on to OAFC.

Who would make a decision on a scouting lead usually? Would the recommendation be passed on and go straight to the manager? With TP dual rolling at the moment; will it be likely to have slipped though as he struggles to juggle the youth team and 1st team committments?

Or, is it something the chief exec gets involved in - so, is it in Joy's hands to act on it?

Good to know you're still active in scouting despite being retired BP; and still passing on to OAFC.

Who would make a decision on a scouting lead usually? Would the recommendation be passed on and go straight to the manager? With TP dual rolling at the moment; will it be likely to have slipped though as he struggles to juggle the youth team and 1st team committments?

Or, is it something the chief exec gets involved in - so, is it in Joy's hands to act on it?

Not TP, as you say Sly he's too much on his plate, the report is in two hands, one on the board, the other with the management team.

Two ex colleagues of mine at Premiership and Championship clubs want the info and if no reply ftom the Latics by next week I will pass it on.

Edited by BP1960

For those with Latics player they can check out the Halifax Town Player and another special goal last Saturday by Dan Gardner, about 11 minutes into the video he collects the ball on the edge of his own penalty area, runs the length of the field after a one two and neatly slots the ball home.

Now that's what I call a box to box player - and this from a player who's carrying an injury and not 100% fit.

I think that's about 10 goals in as many games now from midfield after recently returning from a 6 months layoff.

Forget the league difference, IMO he makes the Latics goal shy midfielders look very ordinary..

http://www.player.ha...article/3104097

Still no word back from the Latics on my 18yo non league prospect, not even an acknowledgement, one of the management team has gone down in my estimation and if he chooses to ignore a report on a player who could be worth a million one day he's not doing his job properly and letting the club and its fans down.

It will leave a sour taste in my mouth if the kid goes to another league club, as he surely will before too long.

I have old scouting colleagues at Premiership and Championship clubs who are itching for me to reveal his name, but I told them Latics would be informed first.

Edited by BP1960

Don't have a clue about your scouting background/calibre/reputation, BP1960 but have you not had a reply from them before, presuming you've sent them tips in the past?

Obviously I'd say there is a lot for the club to be concerned about at the moment and Philliskirk, who I would expect to do some major scouting, has a herculean task as manager of every team we have going at the moment but is there nobody who handles these sort of matters?

Maybe the club have concentrated on the current crop of youths with the recent debate on scrapping the whole academy system. I'd be fuming myself if we let such a prospect (trusting your judgement here) slip away from us who went onto prosper in the higher leagues especially when the scout who recommends the player isn't even paid by the club. Wasting good opportunities on small funds is exactly what we can't afford to do. We need ultimate efficiency to compete.

Edited by NewBlue

Don't have a clue about your scouting background/calibre/reputation, BP1960 but have you not had a reply from them before, presuming you've sent them tips in the past?

Obviously I'd say there is a lot for the club to be concerned about at the moment and Philliskirk, who I would expect to do some major scouting, has a herculean task as manager of every team we have going at the moment but is there nobody who handles these sort of matters?

Maybe the club have concentrated on the current crop of youths with the recent debate on scrapping the whole academy system. I'd be fuming myself if we let such a prospect (trusting your judgement here) slip away from us who went onto prosper in the higher leagues especially when the scout who recommends the player isn't even paid by the club. Wasting good opportunities on small funds is exactly what we can't afford to do. We need ultimate efficiency to compete.

Yes, I have had replies before from the former management regime who were very good, but for 2 different current members of staff not to even acknowledge an email and a letter personally handed to the club is IMO disgraceful.

When scouting I would always acknlowledge and act on information sent to me no matter where it came from - even if at the end of the day nothing came of it.

No club can afford to miss out on a potential star and its not only unprofessional, but sheer bad manners not to get back to anyone who has taken the time and trouble to send in a report.

To me this kid has great potential, if the club don't like him after watching him fair enough that's their opinion, but the Latics should at least let me know he will be followed up.

Edited by BP1960

Dan Gardener has already had a trial at Latics a few seasons back and guess what Latics turned him away sums us up ! Also had Craig Dawson on trial but turned him away to its daft

Dawson broke his leg when on trial for us, we quite sensibly IMHO, wanted him to have another trial for us. Dale took the gamble on giving him a deal whilst he was still recovering and it paid off. If his injury had ended up being more serious Dale would have been significantly out of pocket.

Markspark92, on 13 March 2013 - 12:09 AM, said:

Dan Gardener has already had a trial at Latics a few seasons back and guess what Latics turned him away sums us up ! Also had Craig Dawson on trial but turned him away to its daft

My understanding is back then Gardner turned down the Latics opting for for Crewe instead, but he's a far different player now he's matured.

Edited by BP1960

I'll give the Latics until weekend to get back to me then all will be revealed, if I get no response from the club I will be

sending a strong email to the Chief Executive informing him of the person in management who did not bother to reply to me.

After that my ex colleagues will be put on to the prospect.

I would stress Zorro it's only my opinion about this kid, I might be wrong, but for the club not to tell me they

will at least check him out is just apathy IMO.

Edited by BP1960

Whilst I don't know the full story, from what you've said on here you've volunteered information to them, which they may not even have had chance to look at yet. Is all this talk of strong emails necessary? Why are you intent on seeing a member of the management team in hot water?

Whilst I don't know the full story, from what you've said on here you've volunteered information to them, which they may not even have had chance to look at yet. Is all this talk of strong emails necessary? Why are you intent on seeing a member of the management team in hot water?

To be fair to BP1960 didnt he used to be a professional scout? If so they are getting free scouting from someone who has on here at least demonstrated a good knowledge of non-league football. Are we in a position to ignore this? Even if it was just to say thanks but no thanks.

To be fair to BP1960 didnt he used to be a professional scout? If so they are getting free scouting from someone who has on here at least demonstrated a good knowledge of non-league football. Are we in a position to ignore this? Even if it was just to say thanks but no thanks.

I think Zorro dealt with this well by saying they may not even had chance to look at it. BP said he saw the lad on 6th March - that is only a week ago and the management team will, hopefully, have been focussing on the two scheduled games in that period.

With the greatest of respect, a stretched ,small, management team may not get to respond to everything as soon as desirable. I do understand BP1960 saying it would have been good to have had an acknowledgement but it's not the end of the world. And didn't he say that he'd handed in a copy of the report to a Director personally?Apologies if I got that wrong.

Edited by LaticsPete

I think Zorro dealt with this well by saying they may not even had chance to look at it. BP said he saw the lad on 6th March - that is only a week ago and the management team will, hopefully, have been focussing on the two scheduled games in that period.

With the greatest of respect, a stretched ,small, management team may not get to respond to everything as soon as desirable. I do understand BP1960 saying it would have been good to have had an acknowledgement but it's not the end of the world. And didn't he say that he'd handed in a copy of the report to a Director personally?Apologies if I got that wrong.

At every club I have been with it was common courtesy to acknowledge anyone who has taken the time and trouble to send in a

recommendation or scouting report, whether the player is followed up or not is up to the club.

It's the same principal for any business, you just cannot ignore your customers.

The excuse of being too busy to acknowledge an email or make contact by telephone (from two separate people) does not wash with

me, it's very unprofessional and maybe indicates the predicament the club is in.

I remember Big Joe in the old days personally writing back to me on a recommendation, it was more difficult to correspond back

then than the instant communications of today.

It may well be the club will watch the player and get back to me later, but to leave me in limbo is in my opinion unacceptable.

Edited by BP1960