After sitting in the main stand today listening to some utter bollocks from some pretty frustrated people regarding tactics, I thought back to something I read in the book "I am the secret footballer". A book written by a player on his views of the footballing world. Now don't get me wrong, the first half today was woeful but you can not scream at players for passing the ball backwards and shouting "pass the bloody thing forward" every time we try to keep hold of the ball.

"One thing that frustrates players where fans are concerned is their attitude towards keeping the ball. Sometimes when I'm injured or suspended, i'll sit in the stands to watch the game and it never ceases to amaze me what fans shout during the match. Nothing annoys players more than calls to "just get it up there". It seems that some people still dont appreciate the value of keeping the ball for what looks like no reason - and, worryingly, this is not confined to the supporters."

"So let me offer offer a few thoughts of my own. Ball retention at any level is important for four reasons. Firstly, when a team has the ball, the opposition cant score. Secondly, their opponents run themselves into the ground trying to get the ball back. And when they do gain possession they are too tired to do anything meaningful with it. Thirdly, the team controlling the ball is able to probe for an opening, often dragging a player out of position by moving the ball quickly. Finally, keeping hold of the ball is the best way to recover."

"The other side of the coin is that fans can panic players into making poor decisions. The more unsettled the crowd gets, the worse the football on show will become... by the same token, when your fans are right behind you, there is nothing better. It's that point when you've had a sustained period of pressure, maybe three or four corners in quick succession, and the noise levels are cranked up - you can see the opposition becoming nervous and your own team appears to grow. You find an extra yard of pace and seem to be first to every ball".

Anyway, my point being that today (and some of the previous games I have been to) I have heard more and more moaning at the teams desire to keep the ball, even playing the ball backwards if it means us keeping the ball. One minute berating a player, the next discussing his lack of confidence.

Not looking to upset anyone, but if we all thought a little bit what we want and expect from third division football and put our energies into being positive, praising the keeping of the ball and cheering them, then Boundary Park would be a much more fun place to visit.

For Johnson now he needs to keep us up, and then build HIS club and HIS team, and part of that has to be our mindset as SUPPORTers. We have to be more patient and more supportive. Some of our fans have been watching Oldham for a long long time, and seem to have missed the fact that football has developed into a less physical and more tactical game. What was right "back in the day" just wont cut it in this day and age.

Rant over!

After sitting in the main stand today listening to some utter bollocks from some pretty frustrated people regarding tactics, I thought back to something I read in the book "I am the secret footballer". A book written by a player on his views of the footballing world. Now don't get me wrong, the first half today was woeful but you can not scream at players for passing the ball backwards and shouting "pass the bloody thing forward" every time we try to keep hold of the ball.

"One thing that frustrates players where fans are concerned is their attitude towards keeping the ball. Sometimes when I'm injured or suspended, i'll sit in the stands to watch the game and it never ceases to amaze me what fans shout during the match. Nothing annoys players more than calls to "just get it up there". It seems that some people still dont appreciate the value of keeping the ball for what looks like no reason - and, worryingly, this is not confined to the supporters."

"So let me offer offer a few thoughts of my own. Ball retention at any level is important for four reasons. Firstly, when a team has the ball, the opposition cant score. Secondly, their opponents run themselves into the ground trying to get the ball back. And when they do gain possession they are too tired to do anything meaningful with it. Thirdly, the team controlling the ball is able to probe for an opening, often dragging a player out of position by moving the ball quickly. Finally, keeping hold of the ball is the best way to recover."

"The other side of the coin is that fans can panic players into making poor decisions. The more unsettled the crowd gets, the worse the football on show will become... by the same token, when your fans are right behind you, there is nothing better. It's that point when you've had a sustained period of pressure, maybe three or four corners in quick succession, and the noise levels are cranked up - you can see the opposition becoming nervous and your own team appears to grow. You find an extra yard of pace and seem to be first to every ball".

Anyway, my point being that today (and some of the previous games I have been to) I have heard more and more moaning at the teams desire to keep the ball, even playing the ball backwards if it means us keeping the ball. One minute berating a player, the next discussing his lack of confidence.

Not looking to upset anyone, but if we all thought a little bit what we want and expect from third division football and put our energies into being positive, praising the keeping of the ball and cheering them, then Boundary Park would be a much more fun place to visit.

For Johnson now he needs to keep us up, and then build HIS club and HIS team, and part of that has to be our mindset as SUPPORTers. We have to be more patient and more supportive. Some of our fans have been watching Oldham for a long long time, and seem to have missed the fact that football has developed into a less physical and more tactical game. What was right "back in the day" just wont cut it in this day and age.

Rant over!

What? Bouzanis treated the ball like a time bomb today and it was never in his hands for more than two seconds... sadly even causing their goal. There were too many long balls that went straight out for a dead ball at the other end.

I agree with you on the whole though, Ball retention and keeping possession is highly important and that message does need to be grasped by some people in the stands - however, with the ball we do have to have some chance creation too - sometimes, we don't see that and end up with hesitancy and ultimately losing the ball through making either a bad choice or silly mistake.

Baxter made some good passes today also, picking out croft 9/10 times on the wing, who also seemed to get himself into some very good positions - Baxter, however, tends to be a little greedy at times and when taking a shot (don't get me wrong, i love it when we have shots on goal) should have picked the easier option of squaring it to Croft for an easier shot or cross into the box. His decision making at times needs to sharpen and be less about himself, more about the team.

Simpson was also largely ineffective on the wing, yes he won nearly every header that came his way, but chance creation only really came when he moved inside to a more central role - left wing is not for him, Obita played 10 times better when he came on.

Credit to Johnson though, he saw, as most of us did, the failings in the system of play and had the balls to change it, i reckon Dickov would have waited longer than that to make subs and it probably would have cost us the game.

Good Point lads, let's move forward to Saturday now!

I was more pissed off about the lack of movement by the players off the ball in the first half.

The players had to retain the ball and then eventually erratically rid themselves of it because their teammates were so static.

That's a matter of effort.

What? Bouzanis treated the ball like a time bomb today and it was never in his hands for more than two seconds... sadly even causing their goal. There were too many long balls that went straight out for a dead ball at the other end.

I agree with you on the whole though, Ball retention and keeping possession is highly important and that message does need to be grasped by some people in the stands - however, with the ball we do have to have some chance creation too - sometimes, we don't see that and end up with hesitancy and ultimately losing the ball through making either a bad choice or silly mistake.

Baxter made some good passes today also, picking out croft 9/10 times on the wing, who also seemed to get himself into some very good positions - Baxter, however, tends to be a little greedy at times and when taking a shot (don't get me wrong, i love it when we have shots on goal) should have picked the easier option of squaring it to Croft for an easier shot or cross into the box. His decision making at times needs to sharpen and be less about himself, more about the team.

Simpson was also largely ineffective on the wing, yes he won nearly every header that came his way, but chance creation only really came when he moved inside to a more central role - left wing is not for him, Obita played 10 times better when he came on.

Credit to Johnson though, he saw, as most of us did, the failings in the system of play and had the balls to change it, i reckon Dickov would have waited longer than that to make subs and it probably would have cost us the game.

Good Point lads, let's move forward to Saturday now!

i could have written that post myself

If professional players are affected by a few moans and groans from people in the stands then they need to give the game up and go and do something else.

It's not just a few moans though is it? It's :censored:ing constant. There's 3 or 4 old blokes who sit behind me in the main stand paddock who shout abuse at the players for 90 minutes, regardless of the score. It wears me out, so it can't do a right lot for the players confidence. I'm not saying we should applaud any old :censored:e served up but surely a bit of encouragement can't do any harm...

Like an earlier reply said at least Johnson changed things. He's got us 5 points from 9. And their goal was one mighty cock up.

My point on the fans supporting passing ball retaining play wasn't aimed specifically at today, as we clearly were playing oofball for the most part

True, thought we were much better after the changes. You can tell Johnson thinks the same bringing two CM players in. Oofball is hard with one striker. You'd have thought playing a more passing game would suit the formation. Anyway onto the next match, can't see us pounding it forward like that all game on Saturday, though the pitch wasn't great for a Passing game.

Nice to see your nieces a the mascots too mate, quality stuff

A few, a thousand, twenty thousand, shouldn't matter, never known of a goal being scored or a game being won/lost by the crowd.

That is not true. When i was at high school we held a national basketball finals at our school and loads of the kids, teachers and parents came out to support us and it gave us a massive lift and we managed to beat teams we hadn't done in the previous year. That was with about 50 - 100 fans, I am sure 1000s can give a real lift to a team, never mind at the top level where it is tens of thousands.

True, thought we were much better after the changes. You can tell Johnson thinks the same bringing two CM players in. Oofball is hard with one striker. You'd have thought playing a more passing game would suit the formation. Anyway onto the next match, can't see us pounding it forward like that all game on Saturday, though the pitch wasn't great for a Passing game.

Bringing in two CM's was to replace the two CM's we lost in Furman & M'changama.

That is not true. When i was at high school we held a national basketball finals at our school and loads of the kids, teachers and parents came out to support us and it gave us a massive lift and we managed to beat teams we hadn't done in the previous year. That was with about 50 - 100 fans, I am sure 1000s can give a real lift to a team, never mind at the top level where it is tens of thousands.

Or on the flip side our school team was immense, winning the majority of league and cup games. When we got to both finals played in the afternoon our head decided not to let anyone out to support us where Crompton House and Our Lady's literally brought coaches full. Sure to say we got battered in both finals and lost

Some pillock sat near me first caught my attention by calling Tarky "brain dead" in the second minute. Loud enough & close enough for him to hear. This carried on and on. What was most noticeable is he didn't/wouldn't clap when we did something good.

I had a go at him culminating in "why are you even here?". Constructive, not abusive or threatening (i was sober), and it stopped.

Try it.

If professional players are affected by a few moans and groans from people in the stands then they need to give the game up and go and do something else.

They're professionals, not robots. Just like you and me we can get affected.

I was more pissed off about the lack of movement by the players off the ball in the first half.

The players had to retain the ball and then eventually erratically rid themselves of it because their teammates were so static.

That's a matter of effort.

Exactly. There was one moment in the second half when Brown had the ball and fans were shouting at him to move it, but the fact was he looked up and everyone was stood still. It wasn't his fault. If players are totally static then any pass will be easily read by the opposition.

No movement. Players trotting a bit sideways. That was the real problem. Well, that plus some piss poor passing.

Its one of the most annoying things for me at BP. Sometimes when I can see a player has no options, I actually whince in advance at the abuse that he will get for the crime of keeping possession. Retards.

Indeed the karmic gods made me smile against Shrewsbury when Furman passed the ball backwards and sideways to groans. A few passes later Grounds had scored, they weren't groaning then.

I'll add this....

I'm a fan of keeping the ball... I can even cope with M'voto passing it amongst the back defenders - although I do get a bit nervy.

What annoys me is the passing around then kicking it back to the keeper who punts it up under pressure to no-one... where our forwards or midfield have to win it back to start passing it backwards again.

We need to be quicker to pass it around and the players need to be more 'positive' in their passing and GETTING INTO FORWARD SPACE. All too often we keep being put on the back foot.