What gets me is that if you ask most fans what formation we play during a game, they'll assume we play 4-4-2 for 90 minutes. But that is rarely ever the case, yesterday we started off with that system, then he switched it to 4-3-3 with Croft moving more central to counteract the extra man in midfield but during the first half part of the problem was overcrowding in midfield which resulted in long punts forward instead. When he switched it to 3-5-2 it allowed for Croft to exploit the gaps left by them on their left hand side and we created more. I've noticed how teams rarely stick to rigid formations in the modern game.

As for posession retention side of the things, I belive personally that we're seeing a shift back towards teams adopting a more direct approach and with this I don't mean long ball but more a case of sides attempting more risky balls in the latter half of the field in order to put the ball into the danger area. I was watching Man City a few months ago on TV and I can't remember who they were playing but it was a tedious game as Man City were constantly knocking the ball sideways in the final third of the pitch with the other team all behind the ball and eventually they ended up hitting them on the break beat them. I think Utd would have reverted to a more direct approach and this IMO is why they are 15 points clear, another example is Chelsea in last seasons Champions League, you could even argue that our victory over Liverpool was a result of us being more direct. But ultimatly you need to play to your strengths to be successful

And the worst, 2 holding midfielders as played by PD didn't get his team very far.

be nice to see a ball-player in the Sheridan, Redfearn tradition. Snodin was pretty good, as was the converted Vic Halom. would also be nice to see an area-to-area player.

Ah for the good old days when every player knew his job,

Two full backs hard as nails

Two massive take no prisoners centre backs

Two wingers supplying an endless steam of crosses

A cultured half back

A scheming inside forward

A big bustling centre forward

A goal poacher

I suppose today that would be 4-1-3-2.

Joking apart, no matter what the system it needs good players in all departments to make it work.

Edited by BP1960

Pretty sure we lined up as 4-2-3-1

Grounds, Tarky, MVoto, Brown

Smith, Weso

Croft, Baxter, Smith

Barnard

It is nice to see it switching during the game. Not just in the Dickov era but Penney (sorry) era aswell it was too rigid with a hope for changing it last 10 minutes, sometimes by throwing Mvoto up front!

Smith, Weso

Croft, Baxter, Smith

Barnard

It is nice to see it switching during the game. Not just in the Dickov era but Penney (sorry) era aswell it was too rigid with a hope for changing it last 10 minutes, sometimes by throwing Mvoto up front!

Matt Smith in midfield ?

Edited by BP1960

Did you not go the game BP1960?

I didn't notice they had 2 Smith's in the team.

adrianpshaw, on 03 April 2013 - 10:46 AM, said:

Smith, Weso

Croft, Baxter, Smith

Barnard

Edited by BP1960

I didn't notice they had 2 Smith's in the team.

adrianpshaw, on 03 April 2013 - 10:46 AM, said:

Smith, Weso

Croft, Baxter, Smith

Barnard

funny when people try to be smart and it backfires...

I think we can get too hung up on formations.

4231 is lorded as the best solution, it works for Barca but then they do have 5 or 6 of the world's best 11 players. The same formation was frequently bloody awful for Liverpool under the Fat Spanish Waiter.

One thing I like about LJ's approach is that he plans to teach three systems. He's not hung up on one formation or style of play - he's willing to choose what he believes will gain the result on the day.

I think we can get too hung up on formations.

4231 is lorded as the best solution, it works for Barca but then they do have 5 or 6 of the world's best 11 players. The same formation was frequently bloody awful for Liverpool under the Fat Spanish Waiter.

One thing I like about LJ's approach is that he plans to teach three systems. He's not hung up on one formation or style of play - he's willing to choose what he believes will gain the result on the day.

While I can easily see that having one system is better than half of one we have had, I cant help but worry that it will be quite easy for an oppo manager to suss the 3 systems out.

While I can easily see that having one system is better than half of one we have had, I cant help but worry that it will be quite easy for an oppo manager to suss the 3 systems out.

and as I mentioned on Monday the system changed 3 times during the game to try and exploit Colchester's weaknesses