Next Seasons Shirt

I can't agree with this idea that we have to put up with a standard template just because we are little old Oldham.

Bristol Rovers have Errea kits yet don't play in an all blue kit just because no other teams play in quarters.

bristol_rovers_2012-2013_zpsb1214df3.gif

Gillingham have a Vandanel kit with a unique design. It is, admittedly, a centenary kit but it's unique nonetheless.

Gillingham_2012-2013_zps9f4117b6.gif

Both are league two and I'm sure do not have significantly greater resources than us and both kit manufacturers are relatively low key in football terms.

Well thats just great. Doesnt change the fact that we share our kits with other teams though.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blackpool

No - they're wearing the same colour, not the same shirt.

Just because Arsenal and Manchester United wear the same colour red, doesn't mean they wear the same shirt does it?

Ultimately, our kit has been 'personalised' this season - more so the away shirt than the home shirt.

Whilst I don't think this one is as much of an identikit as previous shirts (e.g. the first Carbrini one that was basically the Bournemouth kit with different colours), as Monty states when you're shirts are being manufactured by JD sports in an indonesian sweatshop somewhere and being bought by the club for probably no more than £12 a shirt absolute max, you're not going to get a completely unique design, and there will always be an element of 'identikit' in there somewhere.

The home shirt is different - Carlisle, Blackpool and us all have the same colour.

However, does it really matter? I've quite liked this seasons shirts, the home shirt has seemed very popular for merchandising - so does the away, although personally i wouldn't buy it

Whilst I don't think this one is as much of an identikit as previous shirts (e.g. the first Carbrini one that was basically the Bournemouth kit with different colours), as Monty states when you're shirts are being manufactured by JD sports in an indonesian sweatshop somewhere and being bought by the club for probably no more than £12 a shirt absolute max, you're not going to get a completely unique design, and there will always be an element of 'identikit' in there somewhere.

Have we announced a move away from Fila? If not surely next season's shirt remains the same. Incidentally, I just had a look at a couple of shirts. This season's Fila made in China, last season's Cabrini made in Indonesia. Not sure where JD come in to it.

No it doesnt! Thats the kit deal weve signed, The budgie option.

I didn't state that we could necessarily do it under this particular contract (do we know when it runs to by the way?).

My point is that it is possible for lower league teams to have distinctive kits. Even if we go for a budget option I see no reason a distinctive kit cannot be produced within the restraints of a template. There are plenty of teams with shirts based around a basic template but with differing patterns such as stripes or hoops.

Have we announced a move away from Fila? If not surely next season's shirt remains the same. Incidentally, I just had a look at a couple of shirts. This season's Fila made in China, last season's Cabrini made in Indonesia. Not sure where JD come in to it.

Ah is it? I assumed it was still indonesia as the Fila brand still owned by JD Sports, as is Carbrini.

Ah is it? I assumed it was still indonesia as the Fila brand still owned by JD Sports, as is Carbrini.

I know Fila and Cabrini are linked, pretty sure JD is a sports shop that sells Fila and Cabrini amongst many others. Whoever makes them they will shove the manufacturing out to wherever it's cheapest. Next batch in could be different again.

1214k5v.png

My word, I would buy the :censored: out of that! Literally, I'd own at least two.

does anyone remember this one?

kgrhqfqse88gcgqvobpbnmz.jpg

Remember!? I still own and wear one of those. It's in the wash as we speak, got the Premier League arm badges and everything!! I :censored:ing love it!

I know Fila and Cabrini are linked, pretty sure JD is a sports shop that sells Fila and Cabrini amongst many others. Whoever makes them they will shove the manufacturing out to wherever it's cheapest. Next batch in could be different again.

in the same way that Sports Direct own Slazenger, Dunlop, Lonsdale, Ellesse etc JD own Carbrini and Fila. They are just brands, nothing else.

When we going to get the customary poll about which shirts we want for next season; a home one and an away one?

I'm brimming with excitement already.

EDIT: Seriously, can we have a poll on this!

Edited by NewBlue

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Oldham_Athletic/Oldham_Athletic.htm

Think its safe to say we don't have a 'classic' design that is timeless and instantly recognisable. Our design seems to break down into the following sections:

1894 - 1907 Red and white stripes (not always the same direction) and dark shorts. Pine Villa for some of this.

1910 - 1966 A mixture of blue and white stripes OR thirds OR blue chest and white sleeves - all with white shorts

1966 - 1972 Orange and blue

1972 - 2013 All blue shirts, and a mixture of blue / white socks and shorts.

There are the odd season where the main pattern is broken i.e. '96-'98 the centenary kit; 2000-02 & 2010-12 where we went back to the '10-'66 design; 1946-48 where we went back to the pre '07 theme. However overall we have jumped around a lot with our design when compared to Arsenal / Bristol Rovers / Blackburn etc. Whose kits are instantly recognisable.

Then you consider that the colours are not that 'stand out' from lots of other teams, it makes things even less recognisable as Latics. At least clubs with a less common colour can stand out a bit and be more unique.

I think that is why, despite only being there for short period in our history we seem to have bonded with blue and tangerine. Its unique. If we'd stuck with that change forever more we'd have something undeniably ours.

However - we never seem to make our mind up and stick to a theme. Therefore it will make our kit choice one that will always flit around and never really have something that truely defines us. However on the other hand it makes our new kit a thing of genuine interest as to what it will be. Arsenal fans don't have the same element of surprise that we do.

The only shirt that was distinctive to the club was the blue broad stripe on white (as during the 1950s/60's)

I chose this because it gives the club a unique identity, which it hasn't got now.

Look at Ajax Amsterdam, everyone knows the red broad stripe on white is theirs.

The only shirt that was distinctive to the club was the blue broad stripe on white (as during the 1950s/60's)

I chose this because it gives the club a unique identity, which it hasn't got now.

Look at Ajax Amsterdam, everyone knows the red broad stripe on white is theirs.

I think when you look back there are a few unique designs in the history books - the broad blue stripe design; the blue and tangerine; and the original white/red stripes and blue shorts (I know there are a few red/white vertical striped kits, but none with blue that I can recall).

But for a design to be strongly associated with a team, they need to stick to a design year on year, decade on decade. Something that Oldham have failed to do, and for that reason we will have people that have affection for different looks / designs we have had in the past.

Think that its now impossible to get Oldham to have an iconic look - we have flitted about too much over the last 120 years, and even in the last 50.

Its not the end of the world, and I generally find a like most of the kits we have produced over the 25 years or so I have followed the team.

I have a recollection that teams had 'regular' away colours as well. Liverpool and Arsenal were always yellow in my mind. This is something that is long gone and the away kit now appears to be the area that clubs / manufacturers really do p*ss around with colours / designs etc.

I think if I was in charge I'd probably go for the broad blue stripe (front AND back), white shorts, blue socks - and I'd make a commitment that it would be the basis of all home kits for the next 20 years minimum. I think I would also do the same thing with the change kit and have it tangerine / with flashes of blue in it.

The 3rd kit can be the one (not that we'd ever need it) that was the 'fashion' top which changes reguarly.