What does Matt Smith bring to the table?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am still undecided about Matt Smith.

At the start of the season he looked like he was massively off the pace and I thought he would never make it in professional football - another non-league player with some encouraging stats that failed to achieve.

However he has shown signs of improvement as the season has gone on.

He has not scored that many goals - but those that he has have tended to be important goals and meant something - but he does seem to get himself into positions to get chances more than other forwards we have had past and present (Hello Iwelumo I am talking to you) though he is not clinical e.g. the one on one last week at BP.

I think that he wins a high percentage of the balls thrown up to him - which isn't always a given for a player of his height. Not sure he has that much control on which direction it goes afterwards - but a decent player alongside him might gamble a bit more on the flick ons than are current bunch do (for that reason I'd give him and Baxter a go together - think JB is intelligent enough to make more off it that others have so far).

His holding it and spreading ability is average - but has got better, and with another season could be OK.

Finally I think he is willing to put himself into the areas where you might get hurt, but you might get a goal as well. A much missed skill from many of our forward lines over the years.

I think that in Simpson / Barnard / Simpson we have an average set of League 1 forwards, playing in a team generally having a poor season. But I think that Barnard / Smith have the potential to improve with the right training, tactics and team mates around them. I think that Simpson is as good as he will get - good in fits and starts, willing to work hard (mostly) and get his foot in.

If Smith is off to the Championship, then I am surprised (in my mind he is clearly not good enough yet - and its a gamble) but will wish him well. If there is no real interest I'd offer him another deal, on more money that the current one (which must be lowly paid) and see if he can continue to develop. He may not, and this is as good as he gets, then if so, don't renew next time round.

"He has not scored that many goals - but those that he has have tended to be important goals and meant something "

Exactly.

Sheff United away, Liverpool, Everton and Bury.

Great moments

Guest Scratch2000uk

A fair chance of staying in league one after that goal at Bury, Lets face it, no one else was going to get on the scoresheet.

Am still undecided about Matt Smith.

At the start of the season he looked like he was massively off the pace and I thought he would never make it in professional football - another non-league player with some encouraging stats that failed to achieve.

However he has shown signs of improvement as the season has gone on.

He has not scored that many goals - but those that he has have tended to be important goals and meant something - but he does seem to get himself into positions to get chances more than other forwards we have had past and present (Hello Iwelumo I am talking to you) though he is not clinical e.g. the one on one last week at BP.

I think that he wins a high percentage of the balls thrown up to him - which isn't always a given for a player of his height. Not sure he has that much control on which direction it goes afterwards - but a decent player alongside him might gamble a bit more on the flick ons than are current bunch do (for that reason I'd give him and Baxter a go together - think JB is intelligent enough to make more off it that others have so far).

His holding it and spreading ability is average - but has got better, and with another season could be OK.

Finally I think he is willing to put himself into the areas where you might get hurt, but you might get a goal as well. A much missed skill from many of our forward lines over the years.

I think that in Simpson / Barnard / Simpson we have an average set of League 1 forwards, playing in a team generally having a poor season. But I think that Barnard / Smith have the potential to improve with the right training, tactics and team mates around them. I think that Simpson is as good as he will get - good in fits and starts, willing to work hard (mostly) and get his foot in.

If Smith is off to the Championship, then I am surprised (in my mind he is clearly not good enough yet - and its a gamble) but will wish him well. If there is no real interest I'd offer him another deal, on more money that the current one (which must be lowly paid) and see if he can continue to develop. He may not, and this is as good as he gets, then if so, don't renew next time round.

His goal ratio per minutes on the pitch is probably as good as the top strikers in this division.

Are there any rumours on which Championship club he is off to?

I herd that he is currently on £300 a week at Latics, and if due to his age we offer him at least the same contract again we would be entitled to some payment. True / False?

Based on the goals / minute ratio you would give a starting slot for 5 games or so and see how he carries it on.

Huddersfield. Based on conjecture and absolutely no knowledge!

I herd that he is currently on £300 a week at Latics, and if due to his age we offer him at least the same contract again we would be entitled to some payment. True / False?

Over 24 before June is out so we get nowt.

Based on the goals / minute ratio you would give a starting slot for 5 games or so and see how he carries it on.

Crystal palace

Cant see him ever getting a game at palace ahead of Glenn Murray, Kevin Philips if gets made permenant or Wilbraham

Maybe Bolaise and Zaha if he is loaned back again there next season will have Smith with quick feet throwing step-overs :)

Im still a Smith fan he is very effective if you use him correctly

Just a rumor.... proabably come to nothing....

I imagine after the FA cup a lot of clubs had a look at him. Hes improved over the season and he does get chances although hes not clinical. I think Scapegoat has summed him up perfectly.

Get quality crosses in and Smith will get chances.

Hes done well - if he can grab a couple more goals before the end of the season say 12 that would be a great return in a struggling team

With the route that he's taken into football I'm happy for him that the goals in the cup run and the interest they have generated have effectively confirmed that he'll have a long career in the game.

There are not many target men left in the game who can have the same effect that Smith does in the air. The games against Forest, Liverpool and Everton showed that teams in the top 2 divisions aren't fully prepared to deal with that threat at present so he's almost created a niche in the market with his style.

This will give him a fighting chance of making it at the level above, the other reason that he should leave now is to strike while the iron is hot. He doesn't have the pace or close control to make it at the higher level so my guess is that his next move after this will be back to either Leagues One or Two. But from there I wouldn't be surprised to see him pop up at clubs in those two leagues for the best part of the next decade. There will always be teams who look for his type of player and target men generally get better with experience and Smith still has time on his side.

I won't be too gutted with him leaving though as if we are looking to play high-tempo pacy football I can't see him being a regular starter.

With the route that he's taken into football I'm happy for him that the goals in the cup run and the interest they have generated have effectively confirmed that he'll have a long career in the game.

There are not many target men left in the game who can have the same effect that Smith does in the air. The games against Forest, Liverpool and Everton showed that teams in the top 2 divisions aren't fully prepared to deal with that threat at present so he's almost created a niche in the market with his style.

This will give him a fighting chance of making it at the level above, the other reason that he should leave now is to strike while the iron is hot. He doesn't have the pace or close control to make it at the higher level so my guess is that his next move after this will be back to either Leagues One or Two. But from there I wouldn't be surprised to see him pop up at clubs in those two leagues for the best part of the next decade. There will always be teams who look for his type of player and target men generally get better with experience and Smith still has time on his side.

I won't be too gutted with him leaving though as if we are looking to play high-tempo pacy football I can't see him being a regular starter.

couldnt agree more with that, anyone that slags him off is clueless... hes effective and easy good enough for our level given the right service... would like to see him stay but he will take his chance just like he did with us!

couldnt agree more with that, anyone that slags him off is clueless... hes effective and easy good enough for our level given the right service... would like to see him stay but he will take his chance just like he did with us!

Call me clueless

I know he's 'off to the Championship' but I sincerely hope LJ makes a last gasp effort to change his mind (provided he hasn't signed pre contract papers elsewhere).

Good luck to the bloke in the future. He'll be remembered fondly here and I wouldn't be surprised to see him back at some point.