What does Matt Smith bring to the table?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dare I say it, but without his two goals over the last couple for games, we might well be staring league 2 in the face. He's been invaluable this season for me.

Scored more goals than any of our other strikers.

I'd love him to stay.

And a £million lighter.

Can I at last be a smart arse and say I've consistantly said Smith will always score if he is given the type of service he needs. Forget through balls on the floor, swing in some decent crosses and he'll score with his head. That said he can also strike a decent shot but needs space to do that.

Think the comment about target men getting better with age is a good one. There are elements of that style of player that can be taught and gained from experience ie how to draw the fouls when you are acting as the only outlet when your team is under pressure.

Would like to keep him and would be interested to see how he develops.

If he does go to a higher club for more coin. Good luck to him. We gave him a chance in football, but as stated the return from the goals he has scored has more than repaid that in my mind.

Can I at last be a smart arse and say I've consistantly said Smith will always score if he is given the type of service he needs. Forget through balls on the floor, swing in some decent crosses and he'll score with his head. That said he can also strike a decent shot but needs space to do that.

WelshGaz has been telling me for months that he can be an asset when we play to his strengths. I wasn't having any of it...

WelshGaz has been telling me for months that he can be an asset when we play to his strengths. I wasn't having any of it...

Seems Gaz and me are wired to the same planets. It's fair to say Smith as bagged at very important times this season.

couldnt agree more with that, anyone that slags him off is clueless... hes effective and easy good enough for our level given the right service... would like to see him stay but he will take his chance just like he did with us!

Condescending posts like this really get on my tits! He hasn't been given the service for most of the time but when he has he's come up trumps.

I seem to remember saying chuck him in after Slew got injured at Protsmouth, saying with regular football he will score 15-20 a season, regardless of if he doesnt do much else. However I did also say I thought Jordan Slew could become a good player....

I've seen Mark Innes and Craig Dudley have good games. I'm not gonna get too excited about MnM just yet...

Recall thinking Innes was potentially world class for about two games when we survived the drop in 99. :blind:

Smith will do a good job in the Championship next season in any team that creates genuine chances and puts in quality from

out wide.

He's scored 2 goals from 3 yards out, no, he's still :censored:, good riddance in the summer.

Well it's a :censored:'s sight better than most players we stick up top.

Never underestimate the art of being in the right place at the right time and sticking the ball in the net.

He's made double figures for the season with thirteen starts. The combined prowess of Barnard and Derbyshire hasn't achieved that many goals for us.

Edited by opinions4u

Well it's a :censored:'s sight better than most players we stick up top.

Never underestimate the art of being in the right place at the right time and sticking the ball in the net.

He's made double figures for the season with thirteen starts. The combined prowess of Barnard and Derbyshire hasn't achieved that many goals or us.

Well said O4U, couldn't agree more.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Gary Linekar.

Well said O4U, couldn't agree more.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Gary Linekar.

Absolutely! Any donkey can stand in the 6 yard box hoping the ball comes their way. There is an art to getting into that area at the same time as the ball ahead of the defender, an art clearly not appreciated by some who only remember the last couple of seconds before the ball hits the net.

Edited by Magic Mikey

He's scored 2 goals from 3 yards out, no, he's still :censored:, good riddance in the summer.

He's also scored 4 goals this season which have given us some of our greatest moments and results in recent history.

Add that to the fact he's scored 2 goals which has pretty much helped us secure league 1 status!