I don't disagree, but I'd stop short of applause in the sponsors lounge..

When you've found and berated every person who has cheered when a pilot has safely landed a plane, then you can consider berating applause from football fans for a club legend.

When you've found and berated every person who has cheered when a pilot has safely landed a plane, then you can consider berating applause from football fans for a club legend.

This, a pilot landing a plane (OK I've been in a couple in thunderstorms landing at MCR) is doing their job. Random people don't applaud anyone else doing their job away from a sporting field but pilot's are that extra bit special.

This, a pilot landing a plane (OK I've been in a couple in thunderstorms landing at MCR) is doing their job. Random people don't applaud anyone else doing their job away from a sporting field but pilot's are that extra bit special.

It's a custom in some countries like in Canada and Brazil, in the UK we're generally more reserved

If you've ever attempted to land a plane in a Merlin Flight simulator operating off real life conditions you know that takes some doing, especially when some douce decided to put two engines on one wing and none on the other :dntknw: making it almost impossible to control

Anyways back to the point, I assume when there was an actual testimonial the crowd was generally higher

Edited by Tommy_Fent

If you've ever attempted to land a plane in a Merlin Flight simulator operating off real life conditions you know that takes some doing, especially when some douce decided to put two engines on one wing and none on the other :dntknw: making it almost impossible to control

So do most jobs you're not trained for. Not that I particularly object if people want to applaud pilots/TP/most other things - it's not hurting anyone, is it?

Testimonials are more or less a thing of the past its very rare you see players staying at a club for over ten years. Also there is a differet approach most players can now afford to retire and still be well off. Remember talksport doing a campaign to get Kevin Davies one.

Although i do think for a player that spends his career at a club and gives that extra bit special its a nice thankyou.

Testimonials seemed to occur all the time in the seventies. I particularly remember Jimmy Frizzell's against Citeh with fat Francis Lee winning and scoring a penalty (that could have been in a different testimonial or friendly). My dad took me in the main stand paddock in those days, I used to stand on the wall behind the advertising boards, it sticks in my mind because I had a really smelly Manc stood next to me, but I didn't want to move because I had a prime position with a buttress.

On the way home my dad bought us all a fish supper and got himself a new overcoat, all for a tanner.

Andy Ritchie testimonial mug still going strong, I also still have a bottle of his testimonial red wine (unopened).

Edited by Magic Mikey