What is success next year for Latics under LJ?

Success next year is....  

138 members have voted

1. 1. What is MINIMUM for next season to be a success under LJ?

• Automatic
    • Play-offs
    • Flirting with the play-offs
    • Mid-table mediocrity
    • Not relegated

I like many are pleased with the results, attitude and (some of) the performances since LJ took charge. But we have seen managers come in and save us from relegation before and then go on to achieve very little the following year.

Also, with the way that contract length and loan players are used by Latics (and many others) its very difficult to know who will be lining up come August next year (for us and the others).

So, am interested in what people expect as a minimum next season?

it is hard to say, if he gets us playing well and exciting football, winning at home with plenty of goals then I would say avoiding relegation is the minimum. I think as a first season it would be ideal to not be involved in a relegation scrap, so lower mid-table or higher would be nice.

Mike Keegan, who's just been speaking on The Revolution, said that LJ told him at the Yeovil press conference that he had advised Gary Johnson on 5 of his Summer signings, including Paddy Madden.

Yeovil being a team on a similar sized budget to us who are massively overachieving having made some cracking signings in the Summer.

That's pretty good going, showing he has an eye for a player and with the success of Korey Smith too it makes me a lot more optimistic for next season.

Mike Keegan, who's just been speaking on The Revolution, said that LJ told him at the Yeovil press conference that he had advised Gary Johnson on 5 of his Summer signings, including Paddy Madden.

Yeovil being a team on a similar sized budget to us who are massively overachieving having made some cracking signings in the Summer.

That's pretty good going, showing he has an eye for a player and with the success of Korey Smith too it makes me a lot more optimistic for next season.

Flipping heck what a signing, he's only 23 as well! I'm feeling more and more optimism as the days pass by, can't wait for August now!

Did he have any involvement in giving employment to Reuben Reid or Keanu Marsh-Brown? If he did we've got a duffer!

Completely depends on the budget handed to him and whether he gets to keep Baxter.

I feel the purse strings are going to be ridiculously tight again. Mid-table with no flirtation with the drop zone would be a huge success. It'd also be quite dull too, but at least we'd be safe.

Whatever! LJ knows the budget. I expect us to flirt with the play offs and end up, due to size of squad, in about 10th place. In other words I expect us to turn 5 of the losses into wins and I hope they are at home. Year two top six.

I know people still don't want to let themselves believe it but we have here the best manager since Royle.

ps If we win one of the remaining fixtures, as I expect, he has already got this squad ("sob") playing to a better standard than that.

To be honest im not thinking we will make the play offs. i would be happy with a season where we get the basics right, show we are trying to do the right things (not necessarily always getting it right) and showing a bit of passion and team spirit. blood a few youngsters and keep the squad together for the season after and we should be onto a winner.

mid table for me will be an achievement but LJ has exceeded all my expectations so far, long may it continue

im hoping all the small teams come down and the non league should be's come up. i couldn't give a damn about big teams coming down it just makes it harder for us.

Think it depends on the cups, a season with cup success but a poor league campaign but still staying up can be a decent season.

Not doing as well in the cups means league position needs to be better.

Without a cup run mid-table mediocrity will do me (so akin to Crewe from this season). With a cup run avoiding relegation more comfortably will do (so akin to Stevenage).

LJ's own strategy is a long term one, his objectives extend far beyond immediate first team success on the pitch.

I wouldn't expect anything beyond mid table mediocrity, but alongside that I'd want to see signs that players are being brought in for the longer term, the beginnings of a squad core who will stay together at the club for a few years, who will develop together to bring longer term success. To do this on our budget we're going to need to rely on his eye for players, and we're not likely to be able to bring in players who are ready for success straight away. I think we're going to hear a lot about continuity and building for the future.

If you really buy into the long term plan then, avoiding relegation aside. don't place any expectations on league position next season. Maybe not even the season after that. I'd rather make the play-offs in two or three years time with a group of players who have grown together and have a chance of staying up if we gained promotion. Realistically I'd be happy enough without promotion if we felt like we were getting somewhere and didn't have to relearn the entire squad every season.