Smith to Charlton?

Was told last night Bolton are willing to offer him £1600 a week x 4 his wage here, my question is surely that isn't beyond what we can offer and if we actually sat down with Smith instead of simply telling anyone who will listen that he is already a goner would we have a chance of actually keeping the player?

Was told last night Bolton are willing to offer him £1600 a week x 4 his wage here, my question is surely that isn't beyond what we can offer and if we actually sat down with Smith instead of simply telling anyone who will listen that he is already a goner would we have a chance of actually keeping the player?

Championship (or possibly Premiership) football is worth a bit more than League 1. However, so is starting regularly, his performances playing up front with Barnard/Simmo, show he is more than capable of playing more than a 20/30 minute cameo.

I wouldn't want us to break the bank but I would think £1600pw (or £2000 pw) wouldnt be that far out of reach for the club. Especially if you add in playershare too.

Championship (or possibly Premiership) football is worth a bit more than League 1. However, so is starting regularly, his performances playing up front with Barnard/Simmo, show he is more than capable of playing more than a 20/30 minute cameo.

I wouldn't want us to break the bank but I would think £1600pw (or £2000 pw) wouldnt be that far out of reach for the club. Especially if you add in playershare too.

Agree Doc, we should at least try to keep the lad for a while longer - chuck in a few quid out of what Simpson has been earning I would think we could affird the figures being bandied, I wouldn't want to break the bank but if he's within our reach and LJ wants him, let's sit down with him...

If we lose him it's not like it would be a massive loss anyway, he's decent but not amazing. If we want to try and make it anywhere near the play-offs we need a 20 goal a season man like Paddy Madden etc and Smith won't be able to score like that

Wouldn't be totally shocked to see him end up with his mate at Donny, Captain Fantastic no doubt whispering in his ear about how the grass is so much greener on the Yorkie side of 't Pennines.

May well be looking through brown stained glasses if as I expect Brentford relegate them to a Play Off lottery on Saturday…..

If we want to try and make it anywhere near the play-offs we need a 20 goal a season man and Smith won't be able to score like that

What are you basing that assumption on?

I think Smith would score 20 given a full season in the team.

This.

Really... goals per game hes not done bad has he.

And this.

Really... goals per game hes not done bad has he.

17 starts, 22 off the bench and 11 goals which you'd probably take from any player signing a contract with the club.

I've always liked Smith and think his form improved well before the cup matches (from day 1 he's always managed to get attempts on goal where others haven't). However, ignoring for the moment whether he'd be interested in staying (with other clubs no doubt already speaking with him) then there's also the question of whether LJ wants such an obvious focal point of our attacks. He has used him to get us out of relegation trouble well but I'm not sure whether playing in and around a strapping centre forward would be LJ's plan A. Without doubt, we have rarely approached games to get the most of of him and all credit to him for succeeding despite this.

I would be utterly amazed if a Premeir League side came in for Smith, even though he scored against both Scouse sides. I an mot saying he wouldn't bag in the Premeir cos he would with the correct service, but that would be it, nothing more in his game to offer a side.

I've backed Smith from day one due to him getting chances in the games he's played. Early doors not finding the target enough with those chances but once he got used to the pace and standard those off target chances have come down. I think he could make it in the Championship but again only in his suited game style.

Johnson stated on arrival that he wanted to implement a high tempo, high pressure style of footie - at the moment I guess we have to take him at his word on that and not even the most ardent of Smith fan boys could argue that he offers much in open play.

Would I keep him to use as a impact sub type? Probably.

Would I pay him 2k for that role? No sir.

If we can we should keep him unless he has reached his peak of fitness because you can't start games knowing someone is going to have to be substituted. If he can get fitter then he will be a 20+ goal machine and top wages would be in order. Just because you have a tall target man doesn't mean you shouldn't play an attractive passing game but he has to fit into the high tempo. The option that you can throw the ball in will keep the defence on the back foot.

If we lose him it's not like it would be a massive loss anyway, he's decent but not amazing. If we want to try and make it anywhere near the play-offs we need a 20 goal a season man like Paddy Madden etc and Smith won't be able to score like that

If Smith had been a consistent starter from the beginning of the season, he would have hit 20 goals fairly easily.

he's going, we need to come to terms with this... wasnt in the squad last night along with barnard - LJ only put players in the squad last night that will be here next year, i even think cisak might be offered another contract!

he's going, we need to come to terms with this... wasnt in the squad last night along with barnard - LJ only put players in the squad last night that will be here next year, i even think cisak might be offered another contract!

Smith and Barnard both got knocks against Crawley; that is the official reason why they weren't playing last night. You might be right though.